2 Nephi 7:1

pam

Reference Search: 2 Nephi 7:1

1 Yea, for thus saith the Lord: Have I put thee away, or have I cast thee off forever? For thus saith the Lord: Where is the billl of your mother’s divorcement? To whom have I put thee away, or to which of my creditors have I sold you? Yea, to whom have I sold you? Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away.

Quotes for Discussion

Introduction

Josephus makes an interesting statement about the prophecies of Isaiah that correspond to the statement of Jacob: “He [isaiah] was by the confession of all, a divine and wonderful man in speaking truth; and out of the assurance that he had never written what was false, he wrote down all his prophecies, and left them behind in books, that their accomplishments might be judged of from the events by posterity.”

Monte S. Nyman, I Nephi Wrote This Record, p. 453

2 Nephi 7:1

Under this law [the law of divorce], if a wife was found unfaithful (unclean) her husband could dissolve the marriage by giving her a “bill of divorcement.” Even though Israel had been unfaithful to her husband—the Lord—He had never given her such a document….

…It appears that ancient “mother Israel” left her Husband (put herself away).

Hoyt W. Brewster Jr., Isaiah Plain & Simple, 206, 208).

“Backsliding Israel committed adultery [the Lord] had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also” (Jeremiah 3:8). For this reason Judah was put away (taken into Babylon, and later scattered). However, the bill of divorcement that he gave to their “mother” (former-day Israel) is not in effect for latter-day Israel. Secondly, the Lord has not sold Israel to his creditors, for he has none (v. 1).

Monte S. Nyman, I Nephi Wrote This Record, p. 453