2 Nephi 9:41

pam

Reference Search: 2 Nephi 9:41

41 O then, my beloved brethren, come unto the Lord, the Holy One. Remember that his paths are righteous. Behold, the way for man is narrow, but it lieth in a straight course before him, and the keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel; and he employeth no servant there; and there is none other way save it be by the gate; for he cannot be deceived, for the Lord God is his name.

Quotes for Discussion

“The Holy One of Israel…employeth no servant there.”

We have the agency to make choices, but ultimately we will be accountable for each choice we make. We may deceive others, but there is One we will never deceive.

James E. Faust, Ensign, November 1996, 42

Entrance into celestial glory is granted only by our Savior, Jesus Christ. He has “marked the path and led the way and every point defines,” and only those who have hearkened unto him, repented of their sins, and kept his holy laws may enter there. (“How Great the Wisdom and the Love,” Hymns, 68.) I have in my heart a knowledge and an assurance that is real and positive and certain that this work is true. I know just as well as I know anything in this world that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that Joseph Smith is his chiefest prophet and his chiefest witness for this dispensation.

At that strait gate where men must enter if they attain the celestial world, there stands a keeper of the gate who is the Holy One of Israel. He employeth no servant there.

“…and there is none other way save it be by the gate; for he cannot be deceived, for the Lord God is his name.” (2 Nephi 9:41.)

Bruce R. McConkie, in CR, Oct. 1949, pp. 79-80

Let us seek to become such true believers in Christ. Let us make our way, righteously and resolutely, notwithstanding our weaknesses, to the beckoning City of God. There, the sole and self-assigned gatekeeper is Jesus Christ. He awaits us not only to certify us, but because His deep, divine desire brings Him there to welcome us. If we acknowledge Him now, He will lovingly acknowledge us then.

Neal A. Maxwell, “True Believers,” New Era, April 1994, p. 24

He Cannot Be Deceived

We all need to know what it means to be honest. Honesty is more than not lying. It is truth telling, truth speaking, truth living, and truth loving….Honesty is a moral compass to guide us in our lives. You young… [people] are under great pressure to learn the technology that is expanding and will continue to expand so rapidly. However, the tremendous push to excel in secular learning sometimes tempts people to compromise that which is more important—their honesty and integrity. Cheating in school is a form of self-deception. We go to school to learn. We cheat ourselves when we coast on the efforts and scholarship of someone else….In reality, we are only in competition with ourselves. Others can challenge and motivate us, but we must reach down deep into our souls and call forth our God-given intelligence and capabilities. We cannot do this when we depend on the efforts of someone else. Honesty is a principle, and we have our moral agency to determine how we will apply this principle. We have the agency to make choices, but ultimately we will be accountable for each choice we make. We may deceive others, but there is One we will never deceive (2 Nephi 9:41)….No one has ever gained anything of value by theft….There are different shades of truth telling. When we tell little white lies, we become progressively color-blind….The degree to which each of us tells the whole truth and nothing but the truth depends on our conscience.

James E. Faust, Ensign, Nov. 1996, pp. 41-43

A university education, I believe, would be desirable for every intelligent man and woman in the world, but I must speak the same warning that Paul spoke: "Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." (Col. 2:8.)

Now, brothers and sisters, I would like to stress this word, "rudiments," because I think this is a key to this passage. A rudiment means the beginning of knowledge. A little learning is a dangerous thing, and too many men and too many women who have become experts in a tiny field of learning think that because they are trained in that field of learning, they are experts in all fields of learning. Many men who are well-trained in one limited field feel that this equally qualifies them to express learned opinions in the field of faith and religion, although many of them have never done any studying nor taken a class in these subjects. So, I say that the problem is not that they know too much, but that they know too much of what just isn't so. Actually they know too little. They have closed their minds to anything except the philosophies of men.

Now, brothers and sisters, in our Church in this day and age, when education is becoming more and more popular and more and more necessary, there is grave danger of intellectual apostasy. The problem is that of a closed mind as I see it. Jacob taught this beautifully as we read it in the Book of Mormon.

"O that cunning plan of the evil one! O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish.

"But to be learned is good if they hearken unto the counsels of God." (2 Nephi 9:28-29.)

That we should emphasize, "To be learned is good."

What causes intellectual apostasy? Why do some learned men and women turn from the faith? It is not learning for there are hundreds of us, thousands of us, equally well-trained. It isn't being exposed to different ideas, for we too were exposed to these ideas in the finest universities of the land. Why then, do they lose their testimony? Principally out of vanity and pride. They want to impress others with their learning. To put it indelicately, it is the problem of the swelled head, because that is exactly what the Prophet said.

". . . whoso knocketh," Jacob said "to him will he open, and the wise, and the learned, and they who are rich, who are puffed up" and that you see is just exactly what he said-"who are puffed up because of their learning, and their wisdom, and their riches-yea, they are they whom he despiseth; and save they shall cast these things away, and consider themselves fools before God, and come down in the depths of humility, he will not open unto them." (Ibid, 9:42.)

Elder Theodore M. Burton, Conference Report, April 1961, Afternoon Meeting, p.128-129

• 4 years later...