the story of the Prodigal Son

lost87

Yet I learned while growing up that 2/3 of the people will reach the celestial kingdom. I don't have a source for that as it was just taught to me in a Sunday School class when I was a teenager.

Dunno about that... Seems that the "2/3" might come from the 2/3 that stayed with Christ in the preexistence. From my personal observations, I don't think that 2/3 of the world's population are living celestial lives... But my viewpoint is pathetically skewed, horribly misinformed, and infinitesimal.

11 ...all things a compound in one; ... if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.....all things must have vanished away.

(Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:11 - 13)

Sorry, I don't get the point you are making in quoting this scripture in context to what I wrote....

Are you saying that there is a need for contention and competition among God's people? Are you familiar with the great intercessory prayer given by the Saviour? Quoted both in the New Testament and Book of Mormon?

Edited by Dove

Sorry, I don't get the point you are making in quoting this scripture in context to what I wrote....

Are you saying that there is a need for contention and competition among God's people? Are you familiar with the great intercessory prayer given by the Saviour? Quoted both in the New Testament and Book of Mormon?

You missed changed's point.

You said you liked Buddhist philosophy, the idea of "being at one with each other and the universe, of living in harmony and helping each other".

changed quoted LDS scripture saying roughly the same thing- that all things will be compounded in one (Christ).

Also, Hemi, would you mind answering my earlier question? I'd really like to have some clarification on the matter. Thanks.

You missed changed's point.

You said you liked Buddhist philosophy, the idea of "being at one with each other and the universe, of living in harmony and helping each other".

changed quoted LDS scripture saying roughly the same thing- that all things will be compounded in one (Christ).

Also, Hemi, would you mind answering my earlier question? I'd really like to have some clarification on the matter. Thanks.

Actually, Maxel, Changed was quoting from 2 Nephi 2, the discourse given by father Lehi about how there is opposition needed in all things. The passages quoted by Changed are referring to the need for opposision in order for there to be contrasts between light and dark, good and evil. This does not refer to the great intercessory prayer given by the Saviour asking that all of us become one in Christ......

Elder Dallin H. Oaks gave an inspired and very helpful interpretation of this parable:

"The Master's reward in the Final Judgment will not be based on how long we have labored in the vineyard. We do not obtain our heavenly reward by punching a time clock. What is essential is that our labors in the workplace of the Lord have caused us to become something. For some of us this requires a longer time than for others. What is important in the end is what we have become by our labors.

"Many who come in the eleventh hour have been refined and prepared by the Lord in ways other than formal employment in the vineyard. These workers are like the prepared dry mix to which it is only necessary to 'add water'—the perfecting ordinance of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. With that addition—even in the eleventh hour—these workers are in the same state of development and qualified to receive the same reward as those who have labored long in the vineyard.

"This parable teaches us that we should never give up hope and loving associations with family members and friends whose fine qualities (see Moroni 7:5–14) evidence their progress toward what a loving Father would have them become. Similarly, the power of the Atonement and the principle of repentance show that we should never give up on loved ones who now seem to be making many wrong choices."