2 Nephi 10:5-8

pam

Reference Search: 2 Nephi 10:5-8

5 But because of priestcrafts and iniquities, they at Jerusalem will stiffen their necks against him, that he be crucified.

6 Wherefore, because of their iniquities, destructions, famines, pestilences, and bloodshed shall come upon them; and they who shall not be destroyed shall be scattered among all nations.

7 But behold, thus saith the Lord God: When the day cometh that they shall believe in me, that I am Christ, then have I covenanted with their fathers that they shall be restored in the flesh, upon the earth, unto the lands of their inheritance.

8 And it shall come to pass that they shall be gathered in from their long dispersion, from the isles of the sea, and from the four parts of the earth; and the nations of the Gentiles shall be great in the eyes of me, saith God, in carrying them forth to the lands of their inheritance.

Quote for Discussion

The Judgments of God upon the Jews

2000 B.C. Abraham is given the land “from the river of Egypt unto the great Euphrates (Genesis 15:18). The land inheritance was passed on to his posterity, Isaac and Jacob. Jacob has twelve sons, his name is changed to Israel and they become the twelve tribes of Israel.

Around 1700 B.C. Joseph is sold into Egypt (Genesis 37), and the family of Jacob comes down into Egypt because of the famine in the land of Canaan, an indication of wickedness. After Joseph’s death the Egyptians place Israel into bondage.

Between 1400-1200 B.C. Moses delivers Israel out of their bondage to Egypt. The spend 40 years in the wilderness. Moses is translated and Joshua leads them into the promised land. After Joshua dies, the period of the Judges is one of great wickedness.

Around 1100 B.C. Saul is appointed king over Israel in spite of the Lord’s warning about King.

Around 1050 B.C. David becomes king of Israel.

Around 1000 B.C. Solomon reigns as king.

About 975 B.C. The ten tribes revolt and the kingdom of Israel is divided into the Northern ten tribes and the kingdom of Judah in the South.

About 722 B.C. The Northern ten tribes are taken captive into Assyria. They become known as the “lost tribes.”

About 607 B.C. Judah is captured by Nebuchadnezzar and taken in bondage to the Babylonians. Many Jews are taken captive into Babylon for 70 years as Jeremiah had prophesied (Jeremiah 25:12).

600 B.C. Lehi and his party leave Jerusalem.

589 B.C. Jerusalem is destroyed by Babylon and the Jews are scattered again.

538 B.C. Cyrus decrees that the Jews can return and rebuild their temple. Many return.

A.D. 70 The Romans destroy Jerusalem and the Jews scatter throughout the world (known as the Diaspora).

October 24, 1841 Elder Orson Hyde dedicates the land for the return of the Jews.

May 15, 1948 The nation of modern Israel is born.

Monte S. Nyman, I, Nephi Wrote this Record, p. 528-529

Because of the uncertainty and controversy over the Old Testament dating, the above dates are very general, rounded off, and approximate. The intent is to merely give an overview.