I need some advice w/computer stuff..

Bini

Take the hard drive out and plug it into a computer that works.

If you don't want to open your working computer up, you can purchase external hard drive caddies which you can connect the hard drive to and then connect it via USB. (e.g. Akasa E-SATA / USB to IDE / SATA Hard Drive Enclosure : 3.5inch Hard Drive Enclosures : Maplin - they do come cheaper than this if you look around)

Once this is done, you can browse the second hard drive like a USB stick. This is assuming the hard drive is not damaged.

Edited by Mahone

I have a computer downstairs that fried. I can't turn it on or do anything with it. But I desperately want to retrieve some photo albums that I have saved on there. Does anyone know how to go about this?

What do you mean by Fried??

If you can't turn it on... there may not be a way to retrieve those photos. Unless you have them hosted online somewhere...

And, the reason why I asked what you mean by fried and what you mean by you can't turn it on, are you not able to get to the desktop? Monitor no longer working? Hard Drive crash???

Please specify.

Probably the power supply unit. Unless there was a power surge, the hard drive is likely fine. It should be fairly easy to get any data off it - this is assuming they are both windows computers of course. Different operating systems use different file systems, which might make it a little more difficult.

Edited by Mahone