Crock Pot Cooking

shanstress70

I love crock pot cooking, but haven't done a lot of it since I had and 'old-school' model that was difficult to clean. However, I just bought a new one with a removable crock, so I'm determined to use it more.

I love having dinner ready when I walk in the house after a busy day. Yesterday morning I had put some beef tips in the crock pot with fresh mushrooms, a can of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, and a bit of water. It was so good last night served over rice.

Anyone have any good recipes for the slow cooker?

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by shanstress70@Oct 12 2005, 12:27 PM

I love crock pot cooking, but haven't done a lot of it since I had and 'old-school' model that was difficult to clean.  However, I just bought a new one with a removable crock, so I'm determined to use it more.

I love having dinner ready when I walk in the house after a busy day.  Yesterday morning I had put some beef tips in the crock pot with fresh mushrooms, a can of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, and a bit of water.  It was so good last night served over rice.

Anyone have any good recipes for the slow cooker?

I am looking forward to winter... that is when we really use ours... but cookies... I didn't know that was possible!! I am going to look into that!!

Originally posted by Please@Oct 12 2005, 03:45 PM

I am looking forward to winter... that is when we really use ours... but cookies... I didn't know that was possible!! I am going to look into that!!

Did I miss something? Cookies? What chu talkin' bout?

I'll look into the book at Costco, Heather. Thanks!

There are a million recipes online, but I hate when I choose a recipe and it isn't good. That's why I like to get suggestions from people who have tried it already.

For that reason, one website I love is www.allrecipes.com. All of their recipes are reviewed and rated. They also have an online recipe box where you can save any that you want... and they have thousands of recipes.

Thanks for the website shanstress. :D

I enjoy using a crockpot as well it is nice to know that dinner is cooking and taken care of early in the day. When we used to go places in our trailer we would use a crock pot then too. Before we left for the day on an adventure we qwould punt dinner into cook. We pit chicken breasts on the bottom then layered carrots potatoes, onions and mushrooms in the top. Lastly we would but one can of mushroom, and one can of cream of chicken soup on the top of the layers with no water. We had the largest crockpot we could find to do the whole meal inside. With some rolls we had a great meal that was ready when we walked into the trailor and the smell made us even more hungry mmmm. :)

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by shanstress70+Oct 13 2005, 05:04 AM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Oct 12 2005, 03:45 PM

There are a million recipes online, but I hate when I choose a recipe and it isn't good. That's why I like to get suggestions from people who have tried it already.

For that reason, one website I love is www.allrecipes.com. All of their recipes are reviewed and rated. They also have an online recipe box where you can save any that you want... and they have thousands of recipes.

LOL... wow I must be more distracted than I realized... with losing my book and all... I read cooking as cookies.... sorry... LOL :wow:

Originally posted by Please+Oct 13 2005, 07:31 AM-->

Originally posted by shanstress70@Oct 13 2005, 05:04 AM

LOL... wow I must be more distracted than I realized... with losing my book and all... I read cooking as cookies.... sorry... LOL :wow:

Yeah, I wondered about that one too. :lol:

Please, what will you do about your book? :(

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Oct 13 2005, 07:40 AM-->

Originally posted by Please@Oct 13 2005, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by shanstress70@Oct 13 2005, 05:04 AM

Yeah, I wondered about that one too. :lol:

Please, what will you do about your book? :(

Well my computer had a cache of fiiles that held much of the 2nd and third volumes on it from a glitch of all things.... it stored changes I made to the book during a certain period of time... from about a month ago... my son found these while trying to recover other files...

And my daughter kept everything I sent her to edit and proof read... and we are sending the zip disc that held it all.. to these recovery experts in California... if they can recover my last two chapters which weren't anywhere else to be found... then I will be saved....

Otherwise... all I have to do (which is still really hard to do twice...) is rewrite the last two chapters and do all the editing and upgrading that I had done this last month....

Which means I am really counting my blessings.... because even if I can't get anything restored from the guys in California... I still have most of my work saved...

Thanks for asking...

Heather, I like foodnetwork.com too. Actually, I used to watch that channel a lot, but then realized it was sabotaging my dieting efforts! :wacko: Rachel Ray's 30 minute recipes are the best.

SF, that is a good idea. We have a pop-up camper that we camp in quite regularly. I've never thought of using it there. I'll try that easy recipe.

Please, I think you just need some sugar, and that is why you saw 'cooking' as 'cookies'! Glad your book is at least partially salvaged.

Frozen Roast does quite well in the crockpot, too. I am awful about remembering to thaw something out. Hubby said to put the frozen roast in the crockpot on Saturday night and see how it was by Sunday afternoon. Worked pretty well.

I like to put my soaked pinto beans in the crockpot; so I don't have to worry about them being on the stove and running out of water. (I sort them and soak them in water over night, then, I drain that water off and put fresh water in the pot with them)

I add cut up pieces of ham when I have it (bacon fat or a ham bone if I don't have the ham), a few peeled garlic cloves, and a chopped up onion or two. I usually add some garlic powder also and a pinch of salt (if hubby does not see me . . . . . he hates salt). I LOVE garlic; so the more the better as far as I'm concerned. :wub: Well, I don't have to worry about vampires anyway. :blush: or fleas.

Speaking of F L E A S . . . . . . . garlic is great to keep them away. Of course, you have to get the body "saturated" and keep it that way. I had a ton of cats outside that had fleas, but the cat that was inside / outside did not have any. (I was putting garlic in her food on a regular basis. I had to start out with just a tiny amount to get her use to it, and then, I added more every day. Later on, I discovered that I could take a garlic oil capsule and rub it on her fur. . . .she always cleaned it off :P ) They sell a specially prepared garlic powder & parsley combo at the health food stores for pets which is what got me started on this, but I have since learned to give them the same thing I give my kids.

Which brings me to another thought. . . . . . one of my daughters always goes on a "garlic regime" for a few weeks before girls' camp each summer. She found that if she does that, she does not get bitten by all the insects that bug the rest of the girls at camp even though they all carry their repellent. What's funny to me is that this is the one daughter in particular that always "pooh-poohed" all of mom's home remedies.

If you soak pinto beans for a couple of days; so they sprout (soak for a few hours, drain, and then, rinse off a couple of times each day for the next couple of days), they will NOT cause gas. :sparklygrin: Of course, they won't have much flavor either. :) So; if you barely get them to sprout, you definitely want to add some spicing up. However, this is a good way to use them for those who have them in storage and hate them, because you can disguise them in other dishes without anyone knowing. :P

With the pot of beans, I like to make either "corn fritters" or "best ever cornbread". B) Hubby & I love it. . . . .our kids hate it. Too bad! Just means more for us. :rolleyes: Okay, NOW I'm getting hungry.

I use cornbread mixes . . . . . like "corn-kits". Instead of following the recipe, I add a can of creamed corn, an egg, some sugar, grated cheese, chopped onions, and diced chilis. If I am not in a hurry, I will saute the onions in some butter with some sliced fresh garlic first. As corn fritters, I add enough milk to make the batter a little more like pancake batter and cook it on the griddle. As Best Ever Cornbread, I make sure that my cast iron skillet is buttered and heated up good, pour the batter in, and bake it until done. Then, of course, with both, they are served slathered with butter.

NO . . . . . . I will not tell you how much I weigh. :dontknow:

You definitely don't want the cornbread the way I make it very often. :)

Peace,

TXRed

Guest Member_Deleted

=shanstress70,Oct 14 2005, 06:17 AM]Thanks for the ideas, TXRed.  I don't even like cornbread, and that sounds good!

Thanks from me too TX... my hubby loves beans and cornbread... and I do too...

I think I will try that soaking... up til now we have just used beano...

We really did not care for them sprouted, because they just did not have much flavor at all. I prefer to just soak them overnight; so they will cook easier, but I don't ever let them sprout anymore

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by TXRed@Oct 14 2005, 09:00 PM

We really did not care for them sprouted, because they just did not have much flavor at all.  I prefer to just soak them overnight; so they will cook easier, but I don't ever let them sprout anymore

Are they healthier srouted? or non?

• 3 weeks later...

Originally posted by Please+Oct 15 2005, 02:05 AM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-TXRed@Oct 14 2005, 09:00 PM

We really did not care for them sprouted, because they just did not have much flavor at all.  I prefer to just soak them overnight; so they will cook easier, but I don't ever let them sprout anymore

Are they healthier srouted? or non?

If they were sprouts that I was putting in a salad and eating fresh, I would have to figure that they were healthier. However, I question whether or not they would be healthier if they are cooked. Truth is, I don't have a clue as to the answer to your question. :dontknow:

Originally posted by TXRed@Oct 13 2005, 12:53 PM

Frozen Roast does quite well in the crockpot, too.  I am awful about remembering to thaw something out.  Hubby said to put the frozen roast in the crockpot on Saturday night and see how it was by Sunday afternoon.  Worked pretty well.

I like to put my soaked  pinto beans in the crockpot; so I don't have to worry about them being on the stove and running out of water.  (I sort them and soak them in water over night, then, I drain that water off and put fresh water in the pot with them)

I add cut up pieces of ham when I have it (bacon fat or a ham bone if I don't have the ham), a few peeled garlic cloves, and a chopped up onion or two.  I usually add some garlic powder also and a pinch of salt (if hubby does not see me . . . . . he hates salt).  I LOVE garlic; so the more the better as far as I'm concerned.    :wub:    Well, I don't have to worry about vampires anyway.  :blush:  or fleas.

Speaking of F L E A S . . . . . . . garlic is great to keep them away.  Of course, you have to get the body "saturated" and keep it that way.  I had a ton of cats outside that had fleas, but the cat that was inside / outside did not have any.  (I was putting garlic in her food on a regular basis.  I had to start out with just a tiny amount to get her use to it, and then, I added more every day.  Later on, I discovered that I could take a garlic oil capsule and rub it on her fur. . . .she always cleaned it off  :P )  They sell a specially prepared garlic powder & parsley combo at the health food stores for pets which is what got me started on this, but I have since learned to give them the same thing I give my kids.

Which brings me to another thought. . . . . . one of my daughters always goes on a "garlic regime" for a few weeks before girls' camp each summer.  She found that if she does that, she does not get bitten by all the insects that bug the rest of the girls at camp even though they all carry their repellent.  What's funny to me is that this is the one daughter in particular that always "pooh-poohed" all of mom's home remedies. 

If you soak pinto beans for a couple of days; so they sprout (soak for a few hours, drain, and then, rinse off a couple of times each day for the next couple of days), they will NOT cause gas.    :sparklygrin:  Of course, they won't have much flavor either.  :)  So; if you barely get them to sprout, you definitely want to add some spicing up.  However, this is a good way to use them for those who have them in storage and hate them, because you can disguise them in other dishes without anyone knowing. :P

With the pot of beans, I like to make either "corn fritters" or "best ever cornbread".  B)  Hubby & I love it. . . . .our kids hate it.  Too bad!  Just means more for us.  :rolleyes:  Okay, NOW I'm getting hungry. 

I use cornbread mixes . . . . . like "corn-kits".  Instead of following the recipe, I add a can of creamed corn, an egg, some sugar, grated cheese, chopped onions, and diced chilis.  If I am not in a hurry, I will saute the onions in some butter with some sliced fresh garlic first.    As corn fritters, I add enough milk to make the batter a little more like pancake batter and cook it on the griddle.  As Best Ever Cornbread, I make sure that my cast iron skillet is buttered and heated up good, pour the batter in, and bake it until done.  Then, of course, with both, they are served slathered with butter.

NO . . . . . . I will not tell you how much I weigh.  :dontknow:

You definitely don't want the cornbread the way I make it very often.  :)

Peace,

TXRed

Thanks for the idea! :P