========

Dwight Nelson recently told a true story about the pastor of his

church.

He had a kitten that climbed up a tree in his backyard and then

was afraid to come down. The pastor coaxed, offered warm milk,

etc. The kitty would not come down.

The tree was not sturdy enough to climb, so the pastor decided

that if he tied a rope to his car and drove away so that the

tree bent down, he could then reach up and get the kitten.

He did all this, checking his progress in the car frequently,

then figured if he went just a little bit further, the tree

would be bent sufficiently for him to reach the kitten.

But as he moved a little further forward, the rope broke.

The tree went "boing!" and the kitten instantly sailed through

the air - out of sight.

The pastor felt terrible.

He walked all over the neighborhood asking people if they'd seen

a little kitten. No. Nobody had seen a stray kitten. So he

prayed, "Lord, I just commit this kitten to your keeping," and

went on about his business.

A few days later he was at the grocery store and met one of his

church members. He happened to look into her shopping cart and

was amazed to see cat food. Now this woman was a cat hater and

everyone knew it, so he asked her, "Why are you buying cat food

when you hate cats so much?"

She replied, "You won't believe this," and told him how her

little girl had been begging her for a cat, but she kept

refusing. Then a few days before, the child had begged again,

so the Mom finally told her little girl, "Well if God gives you

a cat, I'll let you keep it?"

(Can you see where this is heading?)

She told the pastor, "I watched my child go out in the yard, get

on her knees, and ask God for a cat. And really, Pastor, you

won't believe this, but I saw it with my own eyes.

A kitten suddenly came flying out of the blue sky, with its paws

outspread, and landed right in front of her."

Never underestimate the Power of God and what may appear to be

breaking on one end, is answering prayer on another.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Lindy@Oct 22 2005, 07:49 AM

Snap, boing, meeeeeeeeooooooooooowwwwwwww, (soft) thud.....

"mommy, mommy, God gave me a kitty!"

LOL

that was great!

I just had to share... I got it in an email last night and just cracked up laughing...

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by ldsgurl_2002@Oct 22 2005, 12:37 PM

i don't really care if it is true or not but that is so hilarious...ROFL

I'm with you... LOL... can't get enough to laugh about these days...

Originally posted by bizabra@Oct 22 2005, 11:35 AM

Urban legend, not a TRUE story.

Just a friendly reminder to not believe everything you read or hear.  Might just be a "warm fuzzy" story.

News Flash......

I think we were only looking at it as a funny story...not something we really believed happened

Funny IS Funny Snopes or no snopes ;)

Guest bizabra

Originally posted by Lindy+Oct 22 2005, 01:57 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-bizabra@Oct 22 2005, 11:35 AM

Just a friendly reminder to not believe everything you read or hear.  Might just be a "warm fuzzy" story.

News Flash......

I think we were only looking at it as a funny story...not something we really believed happened

BIZ: Hey, I didn't say the story was't amusing, just pointing out that it wasn't TRUE, as Please's post stated: . . . . . Dwight Nelson recently told a true story about the pastor of his church. . . . . . .

Sheesh, people. . . . . don't you CARE when some thing is claimed to be TRUE, yet it proves NOT to be? Would the story be less amusing or less effective if Mr Nelson had simply passed along a "little story" rather than telling a "true story"?

Eh?

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by bizabra+Oct 23 2005, 11:49 AM-->

Originally posted by Lindy@Oct 22 2005, 01:57 PM

News Flash......

BIZ: Hey, I didn't say the story was't amusing, just pointing out that it wasn't TRUE, as Please's post stated: . . . . . Dwight Nelson recently told a true story about the pastor of his church. . . . . . .

Sheesh, people. . . . . don't you CARE when some thing is claimed to be TRUE, yet it proves NOT to be? Would the story be less amusing or less effective if Mr Nelson had simply passed along a "little story" rather than telling a "true story"?

Eh?

Some things are important and some things aren't.... it isn't like anyone was going to die or live... if this story was true or not...

Originally posted by bizabra@Oct 23 2005, 10:49 AM

Sheesh, people. . . . . don't you CARE when some thing is claimed to be TRUE, yet it proves NOT to be?  Would the story be less amusing or less effective if Mr Nelson had simply passed along a "little story" rather than telling a "true story"? 

Eh?

Sorry Biz, didn't mean to get your dander up ;)

The poor man MAY have been relaying a story told to him as the truth as HE was told.

A lesson I had to learn the hard way....which was....don't let others blind you to the truth by letting something someone said (in print) destroy your power to reason.

Guest bizabra

Originally posted by Please+Oct 23 2005, 11:58 AM-->

Originally posted by bizabra@Oct 23 2005, 11:49 AM

News Flash......

Eh?

Some things are important and some things aren't.... it isn't like anyone was going to die or live... if this story was true or not...

BIZ: So, little white lies that won't cause someone to "live or die" are OK? Are lies of OMMISION OK, too? What other sorts of lies are not "important"? If it didn't or couldn't matter whether the story you posted was a TRUE STORY or was simply a made up story composed to illustrate an idea, then why did he claim that it was? Eh?

How can you really say it doesn't matter? Sheesh. At least I learned that Honesty is the Best Policy back when I was a young mormon grasshopper in Sunday School. <_<

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by bizabra+Oct 24 2005, 07:25 PM-->

Originally posted by Please@Oct 23 2005, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by bizabra@Oct 23 2005, 11:49 AM

News Flash......

Eh?

BIZ: So, little white lies that won't cause someone to "live or die" are OK? Are lies of OMMISION OK, too? What other sorts of lies are not "important"? If it didn't or couldn't matter whether the story you posted was a TRUE STORY or was simply a made up story composed to illustrate an idea, then why did he claim that it was? Eh?

How can you really say it doesn't matter? Sheesh. At least I learned that Honesty is the Best Policy back when I was a young mormon grasshopper in Sunday School. :dontknow:

I think I have found over the years... to pick my battles... if it is so important to you... then so be it... you have found your need filled with snopes... I didn't need it... if that bothers you... deal with it...

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by bizabra@Oct 24 2005, 07:29 PM

NIIIIIICCCCCCCCE cop-out! :blink:

You are trying to be pathetic and for the most part... succeeding..

The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everybody else, and this is a feeling that I have always cultivated.

- Oscar Wilde

Originally posted by Please+Oct 24 2005, 07:32 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-bizabra@Oct 24 2005, 07:29 PM

NIIIIIICCCCCCCCE cop-out! :blink:

You are trying to be pathetic and for the most part... succeeding..

The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everybody else, and this is a feeling that I have always cultivated.

- Oscar Wilde

As the title states LOL..you just never know... :dontknow:

I’m with you on this one, Bizabra.

I’m a stickler for the truth and someone saying that this is a true story and someone else saying that this is not a true story would have me wanting to find out whether or not the story is true.

Or in other words, the issue of whether or not the story is true distracts from the rest of the story, which to me would not have been as much of an issue had someone simply said it was a story they had heard, without claiming it to be a true story, unless by some means they were able to know that the story was true.

Or in other words, many of the stories we can read in the Bible and Book of Mormon are wonderful stories in and of themselves, but someone saying that they are true stories makes them even more interesting to me, to the point where I would think anyone would want to know how someone found out the stories are true, and how I could find out for myself whether or not the stories are true. And then, knowing that the stories are indeed true, I would find the stories to be even more meaningful than they would have been as as stories that somebody had simply made up.

Originally posted by BenRaines@Oct 25 2005, 11:12 AM

Some great humorous stories can be found by typing in your search engine Urban Legends.  Additional ones can be found by trying Mormon Urban Legends.

I find little written in online forums to be TRUE.

Are you saying that if you don't Find stories to be true, that they are not true?

Perhaps you simply haven't found out how to Find out whether or not the stories are true?

Or were you saying you have Found out that most of what is written online is NOT true?

If that's the case, I'd be interested in hearing about some of those things and how you found out they are not true.

Ray,

By no means am I saying that all or most stories read online are false. I think that people should use their comon sense when reading a story and then take if from there.

Just because a story is made up, if it makes us feel good, doesn't mean we shouldn't share it with others. I read many heart touching stories everyday from emails forwarded to me, not sent but forwarded by well meaning people.

I read up to 20 newspapers a day online. Some mainstream news others not. Here is an example:

Missionaries miraculously spared in World Trade Center attack

On September 11, 2001, terrorists attacked the World Trade Center in New York City and the Pentagon in Washington D.C. Commercial airlines were hijacked and flown into the buildings, killing all passengers on the planes as well as thousands in the buildings.

Within a day or two, a message began to circulate around the Internet detailing the involvement of missionaries in New York. There are several versions of this message, most of which describe a missionary conference planned to be held in the World Trade Center on Tuesday morning (the day of the attack). The conference supposedly involved as many as 3 zones of missionaries. According to the message, ALL of the missionaries "miraculously" failed to make it to the World Trade Center due to a variety of circumstances - alarm clocks which failed, missed rides or bus connections, etc.

* THERE IS NO TRUTH TO THIS STORY. We spoke with the President and Sister Noel G. Stoker of the New York New York North mission, which includes that area of Manhattan; there was NO conference planned for Tuesday, and even if there had been, it would NOT have been held in the World Trade Center.

This is from the following site: http://www.shields-research.org

President Stoker was my stake president before serving this mission. I asked him about this when he returned and he said that there was not truth to it and what Shields reported was correct.

That is one example of Mormon Urban Legends. Great story just not true.

Mom said, and she didn't originate the thought. "Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you read".

See you could even not believe this. Up to you. Good reading :)

I think I see what you meant now, and it seems that I still see things differently, because I would not consider that missionary/WTC story to be a good story since somebody was trying to pass it off as being true, when it wasn't.

Or in other words, the truth of that story became an issue, which it wouldn't have been if somebody had simply said it was a story that someone had heard, without knowing whether or not it was true.

Or in other words, not knowing whether or not a story is true can add suspense and might even lead me to find out whether or not the story is true, but if I know the story is not true, it lessens the impact of the message.

And btw, I'm not saying that I necessarily need to know whether or not a story is true before I can feel any benefit from a story. I would just rather not hear that a story is true unless there is some way for me to find out whether or not it is.

Ray,

I agree. I want a story that if claimed to be true can be verified. Before someone goes off on scripture and testimony those are based on belief and belief to be true. To some it is given to know but I believe that most act on faith.

I am talking more about stories that are amazing beyond belief happening today.

I can just see it now. " I heard this story so it must be true".

I like feel good stories just as much as the next guy.