How The Irish Saved Civilization

Snow

I just finished How the Irish Saved Civilization.

I am a bit undecided on what I think. Cahill is a marvelous writer but he is a bit clever and flowery with his prose and the ideas he presents are lenghty, sophisticated and complex. You have to pay attention to catch every thing.

The book tells the story of how, when the Roman Empire fell and so the "darkness" fell upon medieval europoe, it was the recently converted Irish who preserved literacy and Roman classics and then disseminated them again to the larger continent/

We still would have had Greek literature and the NT as they were preserved in the East and small Jewish settlements would have preserved the OT but without the Irish, the whole of Roman literature and learning would have been lost.

It is an amazing and illuminating story:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...411233?v=glance

Originally posted by Snow@Oct 23 2005, 05:32 PM

.... but without the Irish, the whole of Roman literature and learning would have been lost.

Thanks Snow! This is exactly what I was looking for! It has everything I needed Irish, educational and interesting,!

My Christmas dilemma for one person is solved! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Lindy+Oct 23 2005, 07:42 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Snow@Oct 23 2005, 05:32 PM

.... but without the Irish, the whole of Roman literature and learning would have been lost.

Thanks Snow! This is exactly what I was looking for! It has everything I needed Irish, educational and interesting,!

My Christmas dilemma for one person is solved! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

This is very interesting... According to JS and Our Destiny... the prophet Jerrimiah fled Jerusalem with the Jewish Princess... all the other royal's children were captured... like Daniel and Meshak Shadrac and Abendago (all wrongly spelled) .. they were all the children of the royalty... and made slaves as a last conquering slap in the Jew's face... When Jerimiah saw this he took the Princess to the Celtic lands and there she intermingled with them and produced a Celtic family... continuing the lines...

Anyway...then there is the theory that the East is where Lehi's decendants that sailed away.... ended up

Wouldn't it be interesting to think that it was all of these same original people who saved the writtings.... ?