2 Nephi 22:2

pam

Reference Search: 2 Nephi 22:2

2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid; for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation.

Quotes for Discussion

God is my salvation

Salvation is spoken of twice in this verse for emphasis. Lectures on Faith defines salvation as follows: “Salvation consists in [gaining] the glory, authority, majesty, power and dominion which Jehovah possesses and in nothing else; and no being can possess it but himself or one like him.”

Parry, Parry, Peterson, Understanding Isaiah, p. 127

Jehovah

The covenant or proper name of the God of the Old Testament was so highly reverenced that it was rarely spoken. In fact, the original pronunciation of the name may be unknown to mortal man. When reading orally, the Israelites substituted the name Adonai, meaning literally, my Lord. Elder James E. Talmage tells us that “Jehovah is the Anglicized rendering of the Hebrew, Yahveh or Jahveh, signifying the Self-existent One, or The Eternal. This name is generally rendered in our English version of the Old Testament as LORD, printed in [small] capitals.” …Of the four times the sacred name appears unchanged in the Old Testament, Isaiah uses it twice. Latter-day Saints affirm that this holy name is the premortal name of Jesus Christ and has been used in behalf of the Savior in sacred places during His postmortal ministry.

Hoyt W. Brewster, Jr., Isaiah Plain and Simple [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1995], 121