Id Bites The Dust

sgallan

From the AP.....

HARRISBURG, Pa. - "Intelligent design" cannot be mentioned in biology classes in a Pennsylvania public school district, a federal judge said Tuesday, ruling in one of the biggest courtroom clashes on evolution since the 1925 Scopes trial. Dover Area School Board members violated the Constitution when they ordered that its biology curriculum include the notion that life on Earth was produced by an unidentified intelligent cause, U.S. District Judge John E. Jones III said. Several members repeatedly lied to cover their motives, he said.

The article can be found by following this link....

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/US/Church___State_Issues/

The Judge does speak his mind......

"The citizens of the Dover area were poorly served by the members of the Board who voted for the ID Policy," Jones wrote, calling the board's decision "breathtaking inanity."

"The students, parents, and teachers of the Dover Area School District deserved better than to be dragged into this legal maelstrom, with its resulting utter waste of monetary and personal resources," he wrote.

And.....

Said the judge: "It is ironic that several of these individuals, who so staunchly and proudly touted their religious convictions in public, would time and again lie to cover their tracks and disguise the real purpose behind the ID Policy."

FWIW, I knew this from an article in some newspaper (I have several bookmarked and can't remember which one) I read over the weekend. For future reference I rarely say stuff like this unless there is validity to it. Funny thing about posting as a real person is you can get caught when you make stuff up, or lie.

Originally posted by sgallan@Dec 20 2005, 01:49 PM

From Wikipedia.....

Jones is Lutheran, Republican, married and has two children. He has a share of a business, Distinct Golf, which runs five golf courses in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. It is operated by others in his family.

Lutherans are part of mainstream "historic" Christianity, which tends to be more 'liberal' on social and religious hotbutton issues. The Republican party has factions, and the old-school group (think Barry Goldwater, Gerald Ford, George HW Bush) tend to tolerate the "religious right," at best. Many religious conservatives refer to these as "country club Republicans." I believe it was this type of judge who tried to sentence Jim Bakker to 45 years in prison for what was essentially a white collar crime.

All this to say that Republicans and Christians are no more monolithic in opinion than Mormons or agnostics are.