Sanitized Posting?

Guest mormonmusic

It's all good. But, I do wish we can have your "religious affiliation" right below your Location (which is right under your Join Date) for all your posts. It gets really confusing when you're new to the site or just browsing and somebody says something that is non-LDS in an LDS site and there's no indication that the poster is not LDS unless you dig into his profile...

I have a question -- I notice this discussion forum isn't afraid to broach a lot of topics that are personal or controversial, such as adultery in temple marriage, struggling attitudes with the Church, etcetera, when everyone knows non-members frequent our pages. Many non-members are forming opinions about the Church when they visit, and might be put off by what they read.

It's here that you see both sides of the gospel in stark reality -- the spiritual experiences of the gospel, as well as the hardships, heartaches and controversies of being a member.

Does this ever bother you? Do you think we discourage as many people as we encourage toward the gospel as a result? What makes you not concerned about this and about whether we're being good member missionaries?

There have been times I've often not written something because I'm afraid that if a non-member saw it, they might get the wrong idea about whether we're an attractive religion at all, or whether the fruits of the gospel are really present in our lives. And of course, times when I haven't self-censored and just blurted it all out...but my question remains....how do you feel about this?

Sorry to respond before reading through, but as a non-LDS poster, I've enjoyed this site for nearly five years now--precisely because I gain insights from these open and authentic posts. It's the same reason I love the Bible--even the prophets and the apostles struggled and messed up. Today's generation much prefers authenticity and relationship to anything that smacks of pristine phoniness. So, imho, as we say in the joint, keep it real!

It's all good. But, I do wish we can have your "religious affiliation" right below your Location (which is right under your Join Date) for all your posts. It gets really confusing when you're new to the site or just browsing and somebody says something that is non-LDS in an LDS site and there's no indication that the poster is not LDS unless you dig into his profile...

The problem with that is that some people will put LDS as their religion because they think it will give their attacks or complaints about the church more weight. As if being a member makes their complaints more viable. You can usually tell if someone is a member and how well they believe and understand the doctrine within 10 posts.

When people ask me why I wear a collar, since I'm not Catholic, I tell them it's to provide the good folk at LDS.net full disclosure in my avatar that I'm a non-member. :D

BTW--let me know if I can summarize the string thus far: Honesty--YES! Holiness--YES! Does that about cover it?