Hey, was there any thought at Nicaea of having a Holy Quinity comprised of:

1. God as Jesus

2. God as the Holy Spirit

3. God as the Burning Bush

4. God as a Dove

5. God as Himself (Jewish Monotheism)

If not, why not?

:)

Actually at Nicea, 352 CE, the Holy Spirit was not defined as God. That came much later. In 325 is was just the Father and the Son.

Actually at Nicea, 352 CE, the Holy Spirit was not defined as God. That came much later. In 325 is was just the Father and the Son.

Hey Snow, I'm not doubting you a bit. You're always well read on your facts and history. But can I get a reference for this? I'd like to read up on it more.

Hey Snow, I'm not doubting you a bit. You're always well read on your facts and history. But can I get a reference for this? I'd like to read up on it more.

Here's the Nicene Creed from 325 CE that expresses a belief in the Holy Spirit but makes no claim that it is God. God is explicitly defined as the Father and the Son.

THE CREED OF NICAEA (325)

-------------------------

We believe in one God the Father All-sovereign,

maker of all things.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God,

begotten of the Father, only-begotten,

that is, of the substance of the Father,

God of God, Light of Light, true God of true God,

begotten not made, of one substance with the Father,

through whom all things were made,

things in heaven and things on the earth;

who for us men and for our salvation came down

and was made flesh,

and became man, suffered, and rose on the third day,

ascended into the heavens,

and is coming to judge living and dead.

And in the Holy Spirit.

And those that say 'There was when he was not,'

and, 'Before he was begotten he was not,'

and that, 'He came into being from what-is-not,'

or those that allege, that the son of God is

'Of another substance or essence'

or 'created,'

or 'changeable'

or 'alterable,'

these the Catholic and Apostolic Church anathematizes.

The Nicene Creed of 381 CE changed the Holy Spirit to: "Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father [and the Son]."

I first read it in a book specifically about the Council at Nicaea in 325, but you can read about it just about anywhere. Wiki has an article (Nicene Creed) that shows the various versions,

The Nicene Creed of 381 CE changed the Holy Spirit to: "Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father [and the Son]."

I first read it in a book specifically about the Council at Nicaea in 325, but you can read about it just about anywhere. Wiki has an article (Nicene Creed) that shows the various versions,

This is true. The Nicene Creed as it is recited today is actually the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed. The Council of Constantinople added "And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of Life, who proceeds from the Father. Who with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified. He has spoken through the prophets".

Then, the Roman Catholic Church added the Latin word "filioque", so that the Creed read: "who proceeds from the Father and the Son. " This addition to the creed is not accepted by the Eastern Orthodox Church.

Possibly because these are manifestations of God mentioned in the Bible.

Okay, this is what I thought you would say. ;) Would LDS believe that "God as the Burning Bush" is part of the Godhead (in addition to the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost)? I believe the answer to that question is the same as the answer Trinitarians would give.