Your Ideas: What Would Make This Site Better?

Heather

Guest jyn2001

people should be allowed to vote for who deserves to be a mod. in my opinion the current mods are not not doing a good job. i feel there should be a chance for everyone to have a free trail period at being a mod. than we should all get to vote who should be the permenment mods. thats my suggestion. please take it into consideration.

jyn2001 I'm not in a position to speak for our lovely Heather, but I will say that letting board members pick and choose the Mods..and give everyone a shot a Moderator is not only a dangerous idea but somewhat silly. Think about it....I dont know if you have kids but would you let them vote on if you are in charge as the mother or if say, one of your daughters should run the show for a while, then vote... <_<

Heather privately owns this website. Its hers. She decides who Mods based on standards and ideals that she has set up for herself. I am going to open a post that will allow you to place your imput as to why you beleive the Moderator team is not up to your expectations.

And after speaking to you at length in chat I believe that you just want to be a Mod and cant so you accuse the existing Moderators of poor preformance.

Heather,

I have been coming to this site since about 1998 and I have seen it evolve over that period and it is a great place to be. I feel like I can come here and relax and chat with friends and unwind from a days work. I have made some friends on this site that have lasted and continue to last throughout the years.

I was very pleased with the changes you had made in the site when the large group of us that use to chat here found when we came back. Just regret that we did not know the site was here for a couple years. It is far better than anything else we have been able to find.

Thank you for such a nice place to come.

Guest ToasterOfen

jyn2001, I actually think the mods do a fantastic job, and have been on here a while longer than you have, and have more experience with what really happens here. All the mods pay close attention to what is going on in order to make this a better, safer place for everyone. You are looking at from a position of "it would be so fun to be moderator. I could do whatever I wanted, and everyone would have to respect me no matter what. My name could be in bold in chat and everyone would notice me". That isn't what moderating is about. Sometimes, they have some really tough issues that need to be talked about and delt with from a mature point of view. It isn't all fun and games...

Off my soap box...I have enjoyed being here and getting to know some great people. I think the mods are great, that Heather had done an awesome job picking who she has, and have enjoyed getting to know them as as well. I appreciate the effort and time that go into keeping these boards clean and friendly... LOL, I guess I got back on my soap-box, sorry. Just keep doing what you're doing! :)

:D thanks for some of the comments......

I have been here since the mid to end of 98, this board was here for me through some really rough times while my husband was deployed in the military. I stay because I have met so many wonderful people, some are here still and there are others I hope come back...This board is a great place...

Jyn,

I'm sorry you feel that way about the moderating team. A few were just added recently and we are grateful for there help. If there is a specific moderator you are having troubles with I would try talking to them (In email privately) maybe you can work out the problem. I do know you haven't been here that long and I would try to give everyone a chance before shooting them down, the problem may just be a misunderstanding.

Just a though.... :D

I think ToasterOfen said it about as well as anyone could. For the most part, I think the mods do a great job and we have a great site here, thanks to Heather. None of us are perfect. But on the whole this is a great place to be.

As Laureltree said, this site is great place to come to when you need friends to help you through tough times. I came to this site frightened and going through sorrows that I could not begin to cope with alone, and the moderators of this site took me under their wings and nurtured me through more than I can ever begin to thank them for. There are good people here, mods and chatters alike. Look for the good in people and this site. There is alot of room here for everyone.

Originally posted by Aristotle@Jan 3 2006, 12:36 AM

The strangest thing happened the other day when I was in live chat...my name was changed from Aristotle to Pluto! Ben, the moderator, said something to the effect that it was the invisible gremlins at work again.  I guess my suggestion is to put a lid on the gremlins. LOL

Oh Aristotle... we used to have so much fun with the name changes in chat.... we still do...ok SOME still do. If you don't want to be changed around...just tell the mod... they will be nice. Promise. :)

Oh Aristotle... we used to have so much fun with the name changes in chat.... we still do...ok SOME still do. If you don't want to be changed around...just tell the mod... they will be nice. Promise. :)

Ok, gotcha! The joke is on moi... I'm taking my high heels and heading to the stranger than fiction corner. ;-)

Guest sugarbay

Originally posted by Lindy+Jan 4 2006, 01:21 AM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Aristotle@Jan 3 2006, 12:36 AM

The strangest thing happened the other day when I was in live chat...my name was changed from Aristotle to Pluto! Ben, the moderator, said something to the effect that it was the invisible gremlins at work again.  I guess my suggestion is to put a lid on the gremlins. LOL

What is the big deal with the name changing? Are there really that many people around who have had to fight to establish who they are that they so jealoulsy guard a screen name? It is great fun for the average well-adjusted person or, maybe, we are all mal-adjusted, but it is fun nevertheless. With all the grimness in the world this bit o'play is harmless and perhaps the site should offer counselling to those who suffer from identity issues? Just a thought? B)

Originally posted by sugarbay@Jan 9 2006, 03:21 PM

What is the big deal with the name changing? Are there really that many people around who have had to fight to establish who they are that they so jealoulsy guard a screen name?  It is great fun for the average well-adjusted person or,  maybe, we are all mal-adjusted, but it is fun nevertheless.  With all the grimness in the world this bit o'play is harmless and perhaps the site should offer counselling to those who suffer from identity issues? Just a thought? B)

Yes, what is the big deal with name changing? Other than causing confusion on the board...especially to those who are new. I reckon the importance of having the same name is for identification purposes...much like the use of an avatar. But if you really want clarification, ask the person who changed my name what his/her thinking was. LOL

I think the name changing is annoying to someone who didn't ask to have their name changed, and has no power to change it back. That's why the rule was made that mods can only change names of those who ask. The whole point of having an integrated site (one login to access it all) is so everyone knows who everyone else is from forums to chat to blogs.

Heather,

My only question is, is there a way to make the chatroom window alittle bigger so that when there is alot of people in there, we have a chance to read what is being written? It moves so fast that it is hard to keep up with the conversation when several people are talking? :dontknow:

If you cannot, I understand. Just curious if that is possible.

Thanks

Josie

Hiya Josie, have you tried to chat by clicking on the separate window button? At the bottom of the chat, below where you type in, there is a button that looks like two pieces of paper. It's the third from the left, next to the "?" button. Click on that, and it will open the window in a new screen. Then you can make that screen as big as you want. :) Let me know if you have any questions