Debate Is Futile

Guest Taoist_Saint

If I have helped only one other person to see only one truth they did not see until I took the effort to say something, all of my time here would be worth it.

Or in other words, I don't have the need to see someone learn all of the truth, because I feel satisfied when I know that I have done something to help get someone just a little bit closer to knowing everything.

Originally posted by prisonchaplain+Jan 6 2006, 02:34 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Taoist_Saint@Jan 5 2006, 01:56 PM

Starting now, I plan to avoid talking about politics and religion...

:hmmm: I guess if we aren't going to talk about politics or religion, we'll have to talk about women. :ahhh: Me thinks the contentiousness of politics and religion will seem like the proverbial Sunday School picnic compared to starting down that dark, dangerous rode. :excl::sparklygrin:

A man walked up to me and asked, "Who's that lady?"

To which I replied, "That's no lady, that's my wife." ;-)

(Yep, more contention here...Mrs. A just whacked me with my high heel.)

Guest Taoist_Saint

Originally posted by Ray@Jan 6 2006, 02:25 PM

If I have helped only one other person to see only one truth they did not see until I took the effort to say something, all of my time here would be worth it.

Or in other words, I don't have the need to see someone learn all of the truth, because I feel satisfied when I know that I have done something to help get someone just a little bit closer to knowing everything.

Maybe my problem is that I know that my "truths" (opinions) will never be accepted (not even one) by the predominantly Conservative/Christian audience here.

...and by the way, I am not a Democrat either, so even the "liberals" won't listen to me :D

It will be a cold day in Outer Darkness when I can get anyone here to understand and accept even one of the teachings of Lao Tzu or the Buddha.

I'm not complaining about being ignored...I haven't even visited this message board regularly for a long time. I just want to teach myself to keep my mouth shut when I hear something I don't like, because it usually comes from a source that is not going to listen to my disagreement...and that will lead to nothing but frustration.

I'll post some quotes about the value of silence later on...

Guest Taoist_Saint

I am not sure if anyone saw my challenge that I posted above...

To demonstrate my argument, I will ask a simple question.

In the history of LDS Talk, which has been around for several years and seen hundreds if not thousands of discussions and debates...

...can you give me the names of anyone here who has actually changed their religious or political beliefs as a result of a discussion or debate?

If you can, lets compare the number of people who changed with the number of people who held on to their established beliefs.

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint+Jan 6 2006, 03:41 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Ray@Jan 6 2006, 02:25 PM

Maybe my problem is that I know that my "truths" (opinions) will never be accepted (not even one) by the predominantly Conservative/Christian audience here.

...and by the way, I am not a Democrat either, so even the "liberals" won't listen to me :D

It will be a cold day in Outer Darkness when I can get anyone here to understand and accept even one of the teachings of Lao Tzu or the Buddha.

I'm not complaining about being ignored...I haven't even visited this message board regularly for a long time. I just want to teach myself to keep my mouth shut when I hear something I don't like, because it usually comes from a source that is not going to listen to my disagreement...and that will lead to nothing but frustration.

I'll post some quotes about the value of silence later on...

Don't feel bad...I doubt that my opinons would be of interest in a Buddist forum either. ;-)

Guest Taoist_Saint

Originally posted by Aristotle@Jan 6 2006, 02:44 PM

Don't feel bad...I doubt that my opinons would be of interest in a Buddist forum either.  ;-)

Exactly...and I don't feel bad...I am just being realistic.

Basically, it is poinless to go somewhere to tell a bunch of people they are wrong, and we should avoid even trying, unless they are causing us harm.

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint+Jan 6 2006, 03:47 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Aristotle@Jan 6 2006, 02:44 PM

Don't feel bad...I doubt that my opinons would be of interest in a Buddist forum either.  ;-)

Basically, it is poinless to go somewhere to tell a bunch of people they are wrong, and we should avoid even trying, unless they are causing us harm.

I think that would especially hold true in a forum designed for a specific group. Diversity makes things interesting, however. Otherwise, we'd all be preaching to the choir. How boring would that be? LOL

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint@Jan 6 2006, 02:43 PM

I am not sure if anyone saw my challenge that I posted above...

...can you give me the names of anyone here who has actually changed their religious or political beliefs as a result of a discussion or debate?

Well, Setheus did get me to looking at the possiblity that the sons of God in Genesis 6 were simply the righteous descendents of Seth. That conversation led me to study, and discover that his view is not obscure, or even specifically LDS. In fact my own, denominationally influenced study Bible makes the same argument.

My mind is not yet made up, but Seth's efforts will probably lead me to change my view on this topic. I admit that demons intermingling with humans is something that it seems odd that God would allow to take place.

Tao, you right that not many change--certainly not quickly. But, hey...I testify that discerning greater light is possible. :idea:

Originally posted by Aristotle+Jan 6 2006, 03:06 PM-->

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint@Jan 6 2006, 03:47 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Aristotle@Jan 6 2006, 02:44 PM

I think that would especially hold true in a forum designed for a specific group. Diversity makes things interesting, however. Otherwise, we'd all be preaching to the choir. How boring would that be? LOL

Even we in the "choir" can learn from each other. And I have actually learned a lot more from other members of the "choir" than from anyone outside of it.

Guest Taoist_Saint

Originally posted by Aristotle@Jan 6 2006, 03:13 PM

This brings up a question!  Just curious, but are you gentlemen in an LDS forum to teach us about your beliefs, or to learn about our beliefs?

I came here a few years ago to learn about the doctrine. I joined the church for the wrong reasons (to make my wife's parents happy), and when I realized I was wrong, I became critical of the Church and ended up in endless arguments with LDS people. But I also started defending the LDS against Evangelical anti-Mormons. After tiring of the arguments I took a few long breaks, and spent more time on Buddhist message boards, which I find very enlightening.

I come back here out of habit occasionally...and I find it tempting to get into debates with people...hence my reason for posting this topic!

I don't get much from this board spiritually (except in the most basic teachings of Jesus (Anti-Materialism, Compassion, the Golden Rule, Love thy neighbor, etc.).

I do learn a bit of the more positive aspects of Conservative politics, while in the past I was very liberal. Now I am not necessarily moderate, but I consider myself "beyond" the entire spectrum :) Not left, not right...but sort of looking down at the whole mess.

But I am trying to learn these political lessons by just reading posts...without engaging in discussion or debate. Maybe I should stick to newspaper editorials :dontknow:

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint+Jan 6 2006, 04:35 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Aristotle@Jan 6 2006, 03:13 PM

This brings up a question!  Just curious, but are you gentlemen in an LDS forum to teach us about your beliefs, or to learn about our beliefs?

I came here a few years ago to learn about the doctrine. I joined the church for the wrong reasons (to make my wife's parents happy), and when I realized I was wrong, I became critical of the Church and ended up in endless arguments with LDS people. But I also started defending the LDS against Evangelical anti-Mormons. After tiring of the arguments I took a few long breaks, and spent more time on Buddhist message boards, which I find very enlightening.

I come back here out of habit occasionally...and I find it tempting to get into debates with people...hence my reason for posting this topic!

I don't get much from this board spiritually (except in the most basic teachings of Jesus (Anti-Materialism, Compassion, the Golden Rule, Love thy neighbor, etc.).

I do learn a bit of the more positive aspects of Conservative politics, while in the past I was very liberal. Now I am not necessarily moderate, but I consider myself "beyond" the entire spectrum :) Not left, not right...but sort of looking down at the whole mess.

But I am trying to learn these political lessons by just reading posts...without engaging in discussion or debate. Maybe I should stick to newspaper editorials :dontknow:

Thanks for answering my question. :-)

As for the newspaper, we use it for the dogs. LOL