Prov. 19: 16 - He that keepeth the commandment

IronLion

Hi all. I have a question about Prov. 19: 16.

6 He that keepeth the commandment keepeth his own soul; but he that despiseth his ways shall die.

What exactly is the commandment? Its it the 10 commandments?

I ended up at that scripture after reading D&C 1:31–32

31 For I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance;

32 Nevertheless, he that repents and does the commandments of the Lord shall be forgiven;

Does the LDS church consider the 10 commandments as what needs to be followed in this instance?

Thank you:)

Well, you can think of the 10 Commandments like a starter kit. The Lord originally gave them to the Israelites, along with the rest of the Mosaic law, because the Israelites were too hard-hearted to live the greater, Christ-like law. When Jesus came, he replaced the outward-facing commandments of the Mosaic law with a new, expanded set of commandments, like loving your neighbors and refraining from looking lustfully at others.

The restoration of the gospel has revealed new commandments that are of equal importance and force with the old ones. For example, we are commanded to build and attend temples, pay an honest tithe, and obey the law of chastity. One of the cool thing about having a living prophet is that we have a conduit to help us understand what the Lord expects of us.

Hi all. I have a question about Prov. 19: 16.

6 He that keepeth the commandment keepeth his own soul; but he that despiseth his ways shall die.

What exactly is the commandment? Its it the 10 commandments?

I ended up at that scripture after reading D&C 1:31–32

31 For I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance;

32 Nevertheless, he that repents and does the commandments of the Lord shall be forgiven;

Does the LDS church consider the 10 commandments as what needs to be followed in this instance?

Thank you:)

We are govern by a higher law. Even if these basic commandments are part of it, there is a greater law the Savior gave to the people during His ministery. Do you know what is was?