Sacrament Meeting Protocols

Guest mormonmusic

Reading a talk is not a bad thing I don't think if it's a well prepared spiritual talk. Do not the GA read their talks in general conference?

I have often thought about this subject and wonder what it is that makes for a spiritual talk. With that said i do remember hearing GA's in conference as a teen and thinking this is the most boring thing I have ever heard only to read it years later and saying that's one of the best talks I've read! Was I not spiritual as a teen? Well honestly I had way more spiritual manifestation then so what gives here? Are all the talks that seem nonspiritual really that way to everyone? Do we all need to be good speakers for it to be a good talk? I have heard some really, really GOOD speakers give nonspiritual talks plenty. Are all talks meant for me, really are they... all of them? HMMMMMMMMM :huh:

I'm a big believer in Elder Gene Cook's method of talk preparation: prepare your topic, then prepare yourself to receive guidance from the Spirit when you're on the stand. I have witnessed some amazing talks given by people who were prepared to talk about topic A but spiritually receptive enough to be inspired to speak on topic B.

Of course, this requires a deep reservoir of gospel knowledge and an active connection with the Spirit. That's why I prepare my talks ahead of time and then read them :)

Don't start a story with "when I was on my mission..."

If it's a non-missionary-work related story, it's much more effective if you can come up with an experience to share that has happened since your mission (or before, as it would obviously have left an impression on you).

If it's a missionary related story, it can give the impression that only missionaries can have great experiences in sharing the Gospel.

All in all, "real life" stories are much more effective than mission field stories. If you can't think of a good outside-the-field story, share one from the mission, but don't tell it in mission context.

I wish our ward would train members on how to correctly bear their testimony on fast Sunday. Too often we hear mini talks given as a testimony. Meanwhile, there are 15 others waiting for their turn to bear their testimony. I also love it when the last person to bear their testimony says "I know we're short on time, but . . ", then they go on with their 10 minute "testimony".

Now that's funny right there.

My wife and I were in a particular ward about 9 years ago and we were blessing our second child during the fast and testimony meeting. The Bishop prefaced the meeting with something to the effect of, "Don't tell long stories, just state your testimony. For example, 'I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God.' and be done with it. Please keep your testimonies short. Less than five minutes is good. Remember others want to talk too. Keep it on topic, Gospel stuff. Don't tell stories about your family or your vacation to Europe. The time is now yours."

Then a particular sister gets up. She is the same sister that got up every fast and testimony meeting. The Bishop was actually talking to her, but she didn't know it. She then proceeds to give the worst testimony ever. EVER! And she does it every fast and testimony meeting. It was at least 30 minutes long and it took up most of the block. Only her and one other had time to speak. The whole time she spoke you literally could not understand a single word that came out of her mouth. She blubbered and blubbered and blubbered and blubbered and would not stop. Not a single person in the congregation could understand a word. The only word that anyone understood was "Amen". My Mom was sitting right behind me and she said, "AAAAMMMMEEEEENNNNN!!!!!! SHEESH!!!!" loud enough for most to hear. That got a good laugh form everybody.

In my previous ward, the bishop (sitting directly behind the podium) would speak a few words into the testifiers ear, if/when it became unusually long, or extremely/inappropriately personal, etc. It did not happen often...but in my current ward, a microphone is passed around, so, anything goes...