Especially For Women

Aristotle

I had a bishop tell me once that in heaven the law of consecration and polygamy would be reinstated....of course this was after I had been sealed to my husband in the temple and I was horrified. It's been bothering me ever since.

That's exactly how I felt. I could never get it out of my mind, and was tired of all the stupid apologetic responses I got from well-meaning, but condescending men about how "we're not meant to understand everything now", "even if I could have another wife, I wouldn't want one", blah, blah, blah. I maintain that God would not call for something that makes women suffer so.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

The reason it was discontinued is because of its abuse.

Source? An official Church document, of course...

Official Church documentation proving otherwise?

She who makes the assertion is required to provide the documentation. It's called "burden of proof".

No kidding. :rolleyes:

Dancing around another unfounded statement.

<div class='quotemain'>

3. The definition of polygamy is taken from Webster's Dictionary.

I know what the definition of the word is, but your church is clearly not talking about women marrying multiple men. What your church practised in the past, and likely will again in your idea of heaven is actually called 'polygyny'.

Give that lady a prize. ;)

You are correct, of course.

What part of "Especially For Women" don't men understand?

- Mrs. A

Yeah! And what part of "unfounded statement" don't they, er, we understand? :lol::lol:

There is a specific Women's section of the discussion boards, by the way... :rolleyes:

While I understand what you are saying Mrs. A it is "especially for women" not ONLY for women. And even if it did we can't stop those men from posting in our threads. If we can't teach them tp pick up after themselves what makes us think they will follow the rules anyway?? :wow:

While I understand what you are saying Mrs. A it is "especially for women" not ONLY for women. And even if it did we can't stop those men from posting in our threads. If we can't teach them tp pick up after themselves what makes us think they will follow the rules anyway?? :wow:

Some men just do not know their place. ;-)

- Mrs. A

I maintain that God would not call for something that makes women suffer so.

Wow, so every religion with roots in Hebrew/Judaism is not part of God's plan? That knocks out Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

Sounds similar to a feminist I heard once that said that women should avoid any religion founded by men -- wow, that takes out all but a few Goddess cults. Guess we could make it politically correct and not so restrictive and say any religion founded by white men could be avoided by PC women but that means Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism would not be attractive to such feminists.

I maintain that God would not call for something that makes women suffer so.

Wow, so every religion with roots in Hebrew/Judaism is not part of God's plan? That knocks out Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

Sounds similar to a feminist I heard once that said that women should avoid any religion founded by men -- wow, that takes out all but a few Goddess cults. Guess we could make it politically correct and not so restrictive and say any religion founded by white men could be avoided by PC women but that means Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism would not be attractive to such feminists.

IMO, every religion has its faults, some due to this very fact. Although I do have a belief in God and even consider myself a Christian, I do think that there are some serious flaws in ALL organized religions, and one of those flaws is that men have translated most, if not all of the scriptures.

This is why I do not call myself any one religion. I am still in the midst of finding a church where I best belong.... that's turning out to be quite difficult. It isn't so important for myself, as I can be spiritual anywhere, but I would like my child to be in a church of some type.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Only the righteous were called to practice polygamy. The reason it was discontinued is because of its abuse. My understanding is that the first wife must give her consent before her husband takes another wife. Incidentally, the definition of polygamy is more than one spouse, male or female. If polygamy is practiced in heaven, both male/female are entitled to multiple partners.

I like your thinking. But in a patriarchial order, it wouldn't work. Two priesthood leaders running one home and one woman. LOL

Thanks, I like your thinking, too.

It sounds like rolling pin time, doesn't it? ;-)

I can see it all now. One woman nagging two men. Still she will have to call the family to home eveing and family prayer. Still she will have to get out and mow the lawn herself. Still she will have to make two very happy in bed~~~~~~~ OH FORGET IT!!!

I can see it all now. One woman nagging two men. Still she will have to call the family to home eveing and family prayer. Still she will have to get out and mow the lawn herself. Still she will have to make two very happy in bed~~~~~~~ OH FORGET IT!!!

Aww, methinks she could whip 'em into Paul Perfects in no time. LOL

<div class='quotemain'>

Aww, methinks she could whip 'em into Paul Perfects in no time. LOL

You must have a talent I lack. :blink: I can't handle the one I got, two is just over my head.

The reason it was discontinued is because of its abuse.

It goes without saying but that is completely FALSE. Abuse had nothing to do with it.

It was discontinued because it was illegal and the Church faced extreme legal and political hardship. Ultimately the Church faced complete dissolution as a result of the 1887 Edmunds-Tucker Act whereby the Church could have / would have had been disincorportated and had all it's properties, including temples confiscated.

You should repent and stop spreading false propoganda.

Enclyopedia of Mormonism Article