2 Nephi 27:9

pam

Reference Search: 2 Nephi 27:9

9 But the book shall be delivered unto a man, and he shall deliver the words of the book, which are the words of those who have slumbered in the dust, and he shall deliver these words unto another;

Quotes for Discussion

Slumbered in the Dust

Now obviously, the only way a dead people could speak “out of the ground” or “out of the dust” would be by the written word which was accomplished through the “Stick of Joseph.” Truly it has a familiar spirit, for it contains the words of the Nephite and Lamanite prophets of God.

LeGrand Richards, Israel! Do You Know? [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1973], 38

A murder trial was in progress in the town where Mr. Barrington then lived, and walking along the main street one day Mr. B. "noticed a great many people walking up to the county court house, and not knowing what was going on there," he says, "I became inquisitive, and made up my mind to go there also, and on entering the court room I found that the same was crowded to overflowing, but being young and strong I soon made my way up to the railing in front of the bench and jury box, and I then learned from a friend that it was a murder trial on before the court, and that the young attorney who was then addressing or making his opening argument to the jury was the county attorney, Oliver Cowdery; as soon as Mr. Cowdery closed his opening argument, the attorney for the prisoner arose, and, in a sneering way, said: 'May it please the Court, and gentlemen of the jury, I challenge Mr. Cowdery, since he seems to know so much about this poor defendant, to tell us something about his connection with Joe Smith, and the digging out of the hill of the Mormon Bible, and how Mr. Cowdery helped Joe Smith to defraud the American people out of a whole lot of money by selling the Mormon Bible and telling them that an angel appeared to them from heaven, dressed in white clothes.' After having kept on for a while in this way, abusing Mr. Cowdery, he [attorney for the defendant] began to argue the case to the jury; but all interest was shifted from the prisoner and his case and directed towards Oliver Cowdery; everybody was wondering in what manner he would reply to the accusation just made. The people did not believe, or know before this, that they had elected a county prosecutor who had been an associate of the 'Mormon Prophet,' Joseph Smith. Finally, when the defendant's attorney had completed his argument, Oliver Cowdery's turn came to reply, and everybody in the court room strained their necks to catch a glimpse of Mr. Cowdery.

He arose as calm as a summer morning, and in a low but clear voice which gradually rose in pitch and volume as he proceeded, said: "'If your honor please, and gentlemen of the jury, the attorney on the opposite side has challenged me to state my connection with Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon; and as I cannot now avoid the responsibility, I must admit to you that I am the very Oliver Cowdery whose name is attached to the testimony, with others, as to the appearance of the angel Moroni; and let me tell you that it is not because of my good deeds that I am here, away from the body of the Mormon church, but because I have broken the covenants I once made, and I was cut off from the church; but, gentlemen of the jury, I have never denied my testimony, which is attached to the front page of the Book of Mormon, and I declare to you here that these eyes saw the angel, and these ears of mine heard the voice of the angel, and he told us his name was Moroni; that the book was true, and contained the fulness of the gospel, and we were also told that if we ever denied what we had heard and seen that there would be no forgiveness for us, neither in this world nor in the world to come.'" (Affidavit-files, Church Historian’s Office as quoted in Berrett and Burton, Readings in LDS Church History, vol. 1, pp. 59-61.)

Alma P. Burton and Clea M. Burton, Stories From Mormon History [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1972], 49-50

Upon hearing the story of golden plates delivered by an angel, some people today ask: “Where are the plates now?” They seem to think if they could see the plates, it would make the testimony of the witnesses more credible. But this is not the way the Lord works. He operates through a law called the law of witnesses. This law provides that in the mouth of two or three witnesses shall the truth of His word be established in all ages (see D&C 6:28; 2 Ne. 27:12-14).

Ezra Taft Benson, The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1988], 50

It was in Clarkston, Utah, July, 1875.

Early in the morning a thought came to my mind, that I would go and see brother Harris. It was only three blocks from my home. I heard that he was not feeling well, and people came from other towns to see him, and hear his testimony on the Book of Mormon. But when I arrived, there were two men present. Brother Harris lay on his bed leaning on his elbow. I said, “How are you brother Harris?” He answered slowly, “Pretty well.”

“We came to hear your testimony on the Book of Mormon.” “Yes,” he said in a loud voice, as he sat up in bed, “I wish that I could speak loud enough that the whole world could hear my testimony. Brother, I believe there is an angel here to hear what I shall tell you, and you shall never forget what I shall say. The Prophet and Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer and myself went into a little grove to pray; to obtain a promise that we should behold it with our own eyes. That we could testify of it to the world. We prayed two or three times, and at length the angel stood before Oliver and David, and showed them the plates. But, behold I had gone to myself to pray and in my desperation I asked the Prophet to kneel down with me, and pray for me, that I might also see the plates./ And we did so, and immediately the angel stood before me and said, “Look.” And when I glanced at him I fell; but I stood on m y feet and saw the angel turn the golden leaves over, and I said, “It is enough, my Lord, my God!” Then I heard the voice of God say, “The book is true, and translated correctly.” …”As sure as you are standing here and see me, just so sure did I see the angel with the golden plates in his hand; and he showed them to me.” …His lips trembled and tears came into his eyes….I refreshed myself and shook hands with him and thanked him and left.

When I think of the day I stood before Martin Harris, and saw him stretch forth his hand and raise his voice and bear his testimony, the feeling that thrilled my whole being I can never forget, nor can I express the joy that filled my soul. This is true testament.

(Signed) Ole A. Jensen

John Godfrey

James Keep

William E. Berrett and Alma P. Burton, Reading in LDS Church History: from Original Manuscripts, 3 vols. [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1953], 1:62-63