counselors, President Henry B. Eyring, on his right,

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf arrive for sacrament

meeting during the annual Seminar for New Mission

Presidents June 27. During the meeting, President

Monson encouraged new mission presidents and

their wives on how best to work with both

missionaries and members of the Church in their

assigned areas.

EXCERPT: President Monson gave mission leaders "the Monson Rule of Proselyting: a letter or e-mail every week to parents."

"I like to tell missionaries that it isn't so significant how much you write — just be certain to write."

He said that letters and e-mails from a missionary son or daughter can bring parents into the Church or back into Church activity.

President Monson counseled mission leaders to involve the membership of the Church in the proselyting effort. "There is just no substitute for a member-oriented proselyting program," he said. "Tracting will not substitute for it. Golden questions will not substitute for it. A member-oriented program is the key to success. It works wherever we try it. I hesitate to deal in dramatic statements, but let me try one: The greatest thing you as a mission president can do to increase the effectiveness of your missionaries and their productivity is to ensure that the proper relationship is maintained with the ecclesiastical leaders in the area where they proselyte."

ARTICLE LINK: LDS Church News - Prophetic counsel for 'hand-selected' leaders