Mormon Myths

Aristotle

<div class='quotemain'>

1) We must be in white shirt and tie to serve in the priesthood, especially to pass the Sacrements. That's a really stupid myth. I asked my Mission President once about that one and he told me there weren't such rules in the leaders purple book. I'm very bothered with these rule as a few peopl in the Church want to impose it to others. A few months ago I visited a ward. I was dress with a blue shirt and a nice pink tie. The second counselor told me I shouldn't dress like that for church. He told me white shirt and blue tie is the standard, the rule. I asked him to show it to me in his leader's manual. He wasn't able to but still maintained it was a divine rule. And as a member of the bishopric he felt it was his duty to impose it to others.

Nice to meet you too.

I believe the white shirt idea comes from Gordon B. Hinckley suggesting that people come to church with at least a white shirt. I never heard anything about a blue tie though. I think it evolved from here. For example: 'If the general membership is expected to wear a white shirt then certainly it is a must for the people passing out the sacrament.' But that is probably why that counselor couldn't find it in his manual. It's funny how this works, isn't it?

Nice to meet you.

I never heard Gordon saying that. Could you tell me more about it.

Actually I made a mistake. My friend didn't tell me anything about BLUE tie. He only told me about WHITE shirt and tie.

White shirt and tie are nice sunday dresses in the USA and Europe.

But Africans have their own traditionnal dresses. Aren't we a world church ??

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never heard Gordon saying that. Could you tell me more about it.

Actually I made a mistake. My friend didn't tell me anything about BLUE tie. He only told me about WHITE shirt and tie.

White shirt and tie are nice sunday dresses in the USA and Europe.

I don't know much about it either. Some of my friends around here just told me that.

Always fighting fire with fire bro.

Indeed. Actual religious shooting wars have been known to get started in this way. Non-religious ones as well. It's kind of why if there 'were' a worldwide religion, Buddhism is probably the best one. Though not perfect, they seem less violent than the more god based ones. And the Dalai Lama rocks.

Non violence isn't all it is cracked up to be and the most violent people came from countries which were Budhist.

<div class='quotemain'>

I am going to put this post in a file for when Maureen comes and attacks me telling me that I am the one attacking. This post of yours really folds it altogether.

You do that Syble, but I don't know how that will help you. When you are being unfair to another poster and someone calls you on it, I don't see how Snow's words will help you when you are in fact in the wrong. :P

M.

You assume I will use it when I am in the wrong. That is a very silly assumption being that I am seldom if ever wrong.

Double :P

<div class='quotemain'>

You assume I will use it when I am in the wrong. That is a very silly assumption being that I am seldom if ever wrong.

Double :P

Syble, I see that you are familiar, as am I, with the assumption of presumption...or is that the presumption of assumption?! ;-)

Absolutely. You have heard about what assuming makes of people who do it? ######-su-me. They should say it slow and they will get the message. :)

Non violence isn't all it is cracked up to be and the most violent people came from countries which were Budhist.

Prove it.

Non violence isn't all it is cracked up to be

Agreed. Especially in this so-called Christian nation that locks up more of it's people than any other industrial nation. Heck non-violence could get you killed. As a matter of fact I once got into a street fight (in the 80's) with some people who wanted to get violent with some gay friends of mine and me (I guess they assumed I was gay). Bad luck for them..... two of us were wrestlers, and the other had a black belt in Ju Jitsu. It was actually kind of fun till one punk had is elblow dislocated by the Ju Jistsu guy and started screaming. Shreeking actually. Felt kinda bad for him. Badly dislocated elbows are permanent.

Prove it.

Have you not read your history boy? There are many different stories. Nanking is one. But there are others like this one.

<div class='quotemain'>

Prove it.

Have you not read your history boy? There are many different stories. Nanking is one. But there are others like this one.

Here is a link: Nanking Masacre

The Rape of Nanking

The Documentary Movie

by Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D.

Nightmare in Nanking: China & Japan At War. Japanese Atrocities in Asia.

Running Time: 77 Minutes

Black & White, & Color.

Produced by Wu Haiyan & R. Joseph, Ph.D.

Directed by Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D.

Next Showing: Boston, MA

Chicago, IL

San Diego, CA

"We had fun killing Chinese. We caught some innocent Chinese and either buried them alive, or pushed them into a fire, or beat them to death with clubs. When they were half dead we pushed them into ditches and burned them, torturing them to death. Everyone gets his entertainment this way. Its like killing dogs and cats." --Asahi Shimbun, Japanese soldier, describing Japanese atrocities during the Rape of Nanking.

"We took turns raping them. We always stabbed and killed them. When we were raping her, we looked at her as a woman. But when we killed her, we just thought of her as something like a pig." --Azuma Shiro, Japanese soldier.

"Nightmare in Nanking" includes photographs and film-footage never before seen in America--pictures taken by the Japanese and which are so horrible that it staggers the imagination. Even Nazis, living in the security of the Safety Zone, stated that it was like being in "hell."

Japanese soldiers tear out the eyes of children, gang-rape women then set them on fire, bury people alive or use them for bayonet practice...beheading women, children, old men....and torturing people for fun...and then laughing hysterically as victims, who have been set on fire, run screaming through the night...

Nightmare in Nanking begins with a brief historical overview of ancient China and Nanking, and then Japan and the sun-cult of Shinto, at the beginning of the 20th Century. The second third of the film depicts the Japanese invasion of China, Shanghai, and then the invasion of Nanking, and in the final third, the Rape of Nanking.

Have you not read your history boy?

That is trolling

There are many different stories. Nanking is one. But there are others like this one.

That was under an Shinto/Emporer government. And it doesn't prove your hypothesis.

You have a very weak front. Me trolling? Geeze. It does indeed prove my statement. Budhist were the religion of the area.

Shinto is not Buddhist. One battle, nor one war does not prove a hypothesis. I lived in Japan.... no problem.

You have a very weak front. Me trolling? Geeze.

The above trolling..... saying things not really germaine to the discussion just to get a reaction.

It does indeed prove my statement.

No it doesn't.

Budhist were the religion of the area.

Shinto was.

Japanese Religions

Paul Watt

October 2003

http://www.indiana.edu/~japan/Digests/religion.html

The Japanese religious tradition is made up of several major components, including Shinto, Japan’s earliest religion, Buddhism, and Confucianism. Christianity has been only a minor movement in Japan. However, the so-called “new religions” that arose in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries are a prominent feature of Japanese religious life today.

The Japanese religious tradition is made up of several major components, including Shinto, Japan’s earliest religion, Buddhism, and Confucianism. Christianity has been only a minor movement in Japan. However, the so-called “new religions” that arose in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries are a prominent feature of Japanese religious life today.

Still doesn't prove you hypothesis. And Japan is a pretty peaceful place today. Far more than we are. And come to think of it..... didn't we nuke them.... twice..... and burn much of Tokyo?

The above trolling..... saying things not really germaine to the discussion just to get a reaction.

I didn't do it to get an reaction. The fact that you did react the way you did, is your problem. It doesn't make me a trol.

Still doesn't prove you hypothesis. And Japan is a pretty peaceful place today. Far more than we are. And come to think of it..... didn't we nuke them.... twice..... and burn much of Tokyo?

You can't handle the truth son! :dontknow:

<div class='quotemain'>

No butts about it. :P

LOL I forgot about the blocking on this forum. LOL It makes it look even worse that it was. LOL again! :lol:

Thank goodness for some lighthearted moments!

Especially in this so-called Christian nation that locks up more of it's people than any other industrial nation.

If America is a "so-called" Christian nation, it is because of the non-Christians.

I didn't do it to get an reaction. The fact that you did react the way you did, is your problem. It doesn't make me a trol.

<div class='quotemain'>

You can't handle the truth son! :dontknow:

I might refresh your memory a little why we nuked them. Read a little history about their modes of torcher and how the war with Japan started at Pearl Harbor.

I might refresh your memory a little why we nuked them. Read a little history about their modes of torcher and how the war with Japan started at Pearl Harbor.

I am familiar with the history. I even teach it. Doesn't change the fact that we nuked, and firebombed them, causing tortorous pain upon thousands of innocents. Nor did I say I was against what we did. Just doing a little exercise in compare and contrast is all.

I think people who are unhappy with America should change places with them.

If I could financially manage it, I would move to Canada. We may at some point. They are big in the sport of womens wrestling too, so it would be a good fit.

<div class='quotemain'>

I am going to put this post in a file for when Maureen comes and attacks me telling me that I am the one attacking. This post of yours really folds it altogether.

You do that Syble, but I don't know how that will help you. When you are being unfair to another poster and someone calls you on it, I don't see how Snow's words will help you when you are in fact in the wrong. :P

M.

I don't know what ya'll are talk'n bout, but I do know that Maureen has been right in 87.7% of all her posts.

Hello everybody, nice to meet you all.

The topic of Mormon myths is very interesting as there are some dangerous myths in the Church.

1) We must be in white shirt and tie to serve in the priesthood, especially to pass the Sacrements. That's a really stupid myth. I asked my Mission President once about that one and he told me there weren't such rules in the leaders purple book. I'm very bothered with these rule as a few peopl in the Church want to impose it to others. A few months ago I visited a ward. I was dress with a blue shirt and a nice pink tie. The second counselor told me I shouldn't dress like that for church. He told me white shirt and blue tie is the standard, the rule. I asked him to show it to me in his leader's manual. He wasn't able to but still maintained it was a divine rule. And as a member of the bishopric he felt it was his duty to impose it to others.

That's not a myth. A bishop has the right (and the duty) to set the standards for Sacrament Meetings. If he, in his wisdom, says white shirts - then white shirts it is. You do have an option, and that is to not pass the sacrament.

2) Coca-Cola is against the Word of Wisdom. Again, that's a false teaching too many members impose to others. When missionaries teach the WofW they preach against: tabacco, coffee, tea and alcohol.

That's not a myth either. Addictive caffenine is legitiamately interpreted by many people as being contrary to the spirit of the Word of Wisdom. You can still get a temple reccommend if you drink cola but that don't make it the best possible thing to do.

I don't mind people having those white shirt rules and anti-coca-cola rules for themselves. But what I dislike is when people impose those rules to others. That's pharisianism.

Please tell me how on earth anyone has ever imposed those rules on you. I have been around along time and I have ALWAYS made my own personal choices about how I would behave. Why is it different for you?