Quotes by Joseph Smith: “Charity”

In the scriptures, compassion means literally “to suffer with.” It also means to show sympathy, pity, and mercy for another.

See also Compassion; Love; Service; Welfare

Introduction

"Until we have perfect love we are liable to fall; and when we have a testimony that our names are sealed in the Lamb's book of life, we have perfect love, and then it is impossible for false Christs to deceive us." (Donald Q. Cannon and Lyndon W. Cook, eds., Far West Record, p. 23; standardized)

History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,

To be justified before God we must love one another. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 2:229)

Attended a sumptuous feast at Bishop Newel K. Whitney's. This feast was after the order of the Son of God—the lame, the halt, and the blind were invited, according to the instructions of the Savior. Our meeting was opened by singing, and prayer by Father Smith; after which Bishop Whitney's father and mother, and a number of others, were blessed with a patriarchal blessing. We then received a bountiful refreshment, furnished by the liberality of the Bishop. The company was large, and before we partook we had some of the songs of Zion sung; and our hearts were made glad by a foretaste of those joys that will be poured upon the heads of the Saints when they are gathered together on Mount Zion, to enjoy one another's society for evermore, even all the blessings of heaven, when there will be none to molest or make us afraid. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 2:362-63)

We ought at all times to be very careful that . . . high-mindedness shall never have place in our hearts; but condescend to men of low estate, and with all long-suffering bear the infirmities of the weak. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 3:299)

There is a love from God that should be exercised toward those of our faith, who walk uprightly, which is peculiar to itself, but it is without prejudice; it also gives scope to the mind, which enables us to conduct ourselves with greater liberality towards all that are not of our faith, than what they exercise towards one another. These principles approximate nearer to the mind of God, because it is like God, or Godlike. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 3:304)

I then addressed them [the Twelve and other missionaries] and gave much instruction calculated to guard them against self-sufficiency, self-righteousness, and self-importance; touching upon many subjects of importance and value to all who wish to walk humbly before the Lord, and especially teaching them to observe charity, wisdom and fellow-feeling, with love one towards another in all things, and under all circumstances. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 3:383)

In order to conduct the affairs of the Kingdom in righteousness, it is all important that the most perfect harmony, kind feeling, good understanding, and confidence should exist in the hearts of all the brethren; and that true charity, love one towards another, should characterize all their proceedings. If there are any uncharitable feelings, any lack of confidence, then pride, arrogance and envy will soon be manifested; confusion must inevitably prevail, and the authorities of the Church set at naught; and under such circumstances, Kirtland cannot rise and free herself from the captivity in which she is held, and become a place of safety for the Saints, nor can the blessings of Jehovah rest upon her. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 4:165)

Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 4:227)

I charged the Saints not to follow the example of the adversary in accusing the brethren, and said, "If you do not accuse each other, God will not accuse you. If you have no accuser you will enter heaven, and if you will follow the revelations and instructions which God gives you through me, I will take you into heaven as my back load. If you will not accuse me, I will not accuse you. If you will throw a cloak of charity over my sins, I will over yours—for charity covereth a multitude of sins. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 4:445)

We are well assured from a knowledge of those pure principles of benevolence that flow spontaneously from [the] humane and philanthropic bosoms [of the Relief Society women], that with the resources they will have at command, they will fly to the relief of the stranger; they will pour in oil and wine to the wounded heart of the distressed; they will dry up the tears of the orphan and make the widow's heart to rejoice.

Our women have always been signalized for their acts of benevolence and kindness. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 4:567)

This [the Relief Society] is a charitable Society, and according to your natures; it is natural for females to have feelings of charity and benevolence. You are now placed in a situation in which you can act according to those sympathies which God has planted in your bosoms. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 4:605)

Report of Eliza R. Snow: He [Joseph Smith] then commenced reading the 13th chapter [of 1 Corinthians]—"Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels, and have no charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal;" and said, don't be limited in your views with regard to your neighbor's virtue, but beware of self-righteousness, and be limited in the estimate of your own virtues, and not think yourselves more righteous than others; you must enlarge your souls towards each other, if you would do like Jesus, and carry your fellow-creatures to Abraham's bosom. He said he had manifested long-suffering, forbearance and patience towards the Church, and also to his enemies; and we must bear with each other's failings, as an indulgent parent bears with the foibles of his children.

. . . As you increase in innocence and virtue, as you increase in goodness, let your hearts expand, let them be enlarged towards others; you must be long-suffering, and bear with the faults and errors of mankind.

How precious are the souls of men! . . .

Let your labors be mostly confined to those around you, in the circle of your own acquaintance, as far as knowledge is concerned, it may extend to all the world; but your administering should be confined to the circle of your immediate acquaintance, and more especially to the members of the Relief Society. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 4:606, 607)

Nothing is so much calculated to lead people to forsake sin as to take them by the hand, and watch over them with tenderness. When persons manifest the least kindness and love to me, O what power it has over my mind, while the opposite course has a tendency to harrow up all the harsh feelings and depress the human mind.

It is one evidence that men are unacquainted with the principles of godliness to behold the contraction of affectionate feelings and lack of charity in the world. The power and glory of godliness is spread out on a broad principle to throw out the mantle of charity. God does not look on sin with allowance, but when men have sinned, there must be allowance made for them.

. . . The nearer we get to our heavenly Father, the more we are disposed to look with compassion on perishing souls; we feel that we want to take them upon our shoulders, and cast their sins behind our backs. My talk is intended for all this society [the Relief Society]; if you would have God have mercy on you, have mercy on one another. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 5:23-24)

Almost all who have fallen in these last days in the Church have fallen in a strange land. This is a strange land to those who have come from a distance.

We should cultivate sympathy for the afflicted among us. If there is a place on earth where men should cultivate the spirit and pour in the oil and wine in the bosoms of the afflicted, it is in this place; and this spirit is manifest here; and although a stranger and afflicted when he arrives, he finds a brother and a friend ready to administer to his necessities.

I would esteem it one of the greatest blessings, if I am to be afflicted in this world to have my lot cast where I can find brothers and friends all around me. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 5:360-61)

If we would secure and cultivate the love of others, we must love others, even our enemies as well as friends. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 5:498)

I do not dwell upon your faults, and you shall not upon mine. Charity, which is love, covereth a multitude of sins, and I have often covered up all the faults among you; but the prettiest thing is to have no faults at all. We should cultivate a meek, quiet and peaceable spirit. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 5:517)

In my feelings I am always ready to die for the protection of the weak and oppressed in their just rights. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 6:57)

That friendship which intelligent beings would accept as sincere must arise from love, and that love grow out of virtue, which is as much a part of religion as light is a part of Jehovah. Hence the saying of Jesus, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 6:73)

Wise men ought to have understanding enough to conquer men with kindness.

"A soft answer turneth away wrath," says the wise man; and it will be greatly to the credit of the Latter-day Saints to show the love of God, by now kindly treating those who may have, in an unconscious moment, done wrong; for truly said Jesus, Pray for thine enemies.

Humanity towards all, reason and refinement to enforce virtue, and good for evil are so eminently designed to cure more disorders of society than an appeal to arms, or even argument untempered with friendship, and the one thing needful that no vision for the future, guideboard for the distant, or expositor for the present, need trouble any one with what he ought to do. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 6:219-20)

I wish to say to you [the editor of the Nauvoo Neighbor], as there seems to be a prospect of peace, that it will be more love-like, more God-like, and man-like, to say nothing about the Warsaw Signal.

If the editor breathes out that old sulphurous blast, let him go and besmear his reputation and the reputation of those that uphold him with soot and dirt, but as for us and all honest men, we will act well our part, for there the honor lies.

We will honor the advice of Governor Ford, cultivate peace and friendship with all, mind our own business, and come off with flying colors, respected, because, in respecting others, we respect ourselves. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 6:221)

I have no enmity against any man. I love you all; but I hate some of your deeds. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 6:317)

My heart is large enough for all men. (Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 6:459)

Other Journals:

Words of Mosiah L. Hancock: The summer of 1841 I played my first game of ball with the Prophet. We took turns knocking and chasing the ball, and when the game was over the Prophet said, "Brethren, hitch up your teams."

We did, and we all drove to the woods. I drove our one-horse wagon, standing on the front bolster, and Brother Joseph and Father rode on the hounds behind. There were thirty-nine teams in the group and we gathered wood until our wagons were loaded. When our wagon was loaded, Brother Joseph offered to pull sticks with anyone who wanted to compete with him—and he pulled them all up one at a time. Afterwards the Prophet sent the wagons out to different places where people needed help; and he told them to cut the wood for the Saints who needed it. Everybody loved to do as the Prophet said, and even though we were sickly, and death was all around us, folks smiled and tried to cheer everyone up. (Hyrum L. Andrus and Helen Mae Andrus, comps., They Knew the Prophet, p. 103)

Words of Andrew Workman: I first saw the Prophet Joseph in May, 1842. He was with about a dozen others on the stand in a meeting. I knew him as soon as I saw him.

A few days after this I was at Joseph's house. Several men were sitting on the fence. Joseph came out and spoke to us all. A man came and said that a poor brother who lived out some distance from town had had his house burned down the night before. Nearly all of the men said they felt sorry for the man. Joseph put his hand in his pocket, took out five dollars and said: "I feel sorry for this brother to the amount of five dollars. How much do you all feel sorry?" (Hyrum L. Andrus and Helen Mae Andrus, comps., They Knew the Prophet, p. 150)

Edited by Hemidakota

Doctrine & Covenants References: (Lord quotes to Joseph – search term is charity)

D&C 4:5-6

And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work.

Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence.

D&C 6: 19

Admonish him in his faults, and also receive admonition of him. Be patient; be sober; be temperate; have patience, faith, hope and charity.

D&C 12:7-8

Behold, I speak unto you, and also to all those who have desires to bring forth and establish this work;

And no one can assist in this work except he shall be humble and full of love, having faith, hope, and charity, being temperate in all things, whatsoever shall be entrusted to his care.

D&C 18:18-20

Ask the Father in my name, in faith believing that you shall receive, and you shall have the Holy Ghost, which manifesteth all things which are expedient unto the children of men.

And if you have not faith, hope, and charity, you can do nothing.

Contend against no church, save it be the church of the devil.

D&C 88:123-126

See that ye love one another; cease to be covetous; learn to impart one to another as the gospel requires.

Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated.

And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity, as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace.

Pray always, that ye may not faint, until I come. Behold, and lo, I will come quickly, and receive you unto myself. Amen.

D&C 107:30-31

The decisions of these quorums, or either of them, are to be made in all righteousness, in holiness, and lowliness of heart, meekness and long suffering, and in faith, and virtue, and knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness and charity;

Because the promise is, if these things abound in them they shall not be unfruitful in the knowledge of the Lord.

D&C 121:45-46

Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.

The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever.

D&C 124:115-116

And again, verily I say unto you, if my servant Robert D. Foster will obey my voice, let him build a house for my servant Joseph, according to the contract which he has made with him, as the door shall be open to him from time to time.

And let him repent of all his folly, and clothe himself with charity; and cease to do evil, and lay aside all his hard speeches;

D&C 135:5

And it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord that he would give unto the Gentiles grace, that they might have charity. And it came to pass that the Lord said unto me: If they have not charity it mattereth not unto thee, thou hast been faithful; wherefore thy garments shall be made clean. And because thou hast seen thy weakness, thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father. And now I . . . bid farewell unto the Gentiles; yea, and also unto my brethren whom I love, until we shall meet before the judgment-seat of Christ, where all men shall know that my garments are not spotted with your blood.

Edited by Hemidakota