Learning to hunt- need advice

Matthew0059

So yeah, you want to learn to hunt as part of Preparedness. This is awesome. But you say you want to learn then hopefully you won't ever have to go hunting again. Hmmm... I don't know about this. Hunting is a skill that requires practice. So, yes, you will have to keep honing that skill to be useful.

I'm not saying go kill a deer every month or something. Or maybe I am. What I'm saying is that, this is going to be a lifetime of learning for you.

Watch Top Shot on History channel. It's my favorite show! :)

P.S. My question to all the Americans... do you know how to make tasty fried chicken from a baby chick? Most of my American friends don't know anything about how to get chicken meat besides buying it prepackaged from the grocery.

I'm not sure what you're planning to hunt but the main thing I have hunted is white tail deer. For that I'd suggest a 270 rifle for long distance. The 270 allows you to hit your target from any distance that you'd ever encounter a white tail deer. The farthest I have shot one from is 150 yards.

The 30-30 is also a rifle I've used. I find it personally easier and faster to reload than the 270 but it lacks the distance of the 270. Generally a 30-30 shoots accurately about 100 yards. I've shot one over that with a 30-30 but you would have to aim at the very top of the deer in order to hit it. The 30-30 has a tricky safety mechanism though and it would take practice to get used to. If you do decide to go with a 30-30 make sure you get one for the hand you normally use. I had someone who nearly blew my leg off because he tried to put the safety on for a right handed 30-30 when he was a left handed.

Not bad advice, however my preference is for the .243 or .30-06, .243 because of the flat trajectory, and long distance accuracy. The .30-06 can shoot through brush that would stop or deflect the .243 round.

A big mistake people make when shooting is they get excited or they flinch from expecting the gun to go off. If you're not used to the gun or you're scared of the gun, I'd recommend squeezing the trigger while you aim so you do not know when to expect it. This will drastically improve your accuracy. Keep your eye a safe distance away from the scope when you are about to fire. The scope can cut you from the kick of the rifle if you are not careful. Remember to shoot the guns the day before going hunting each year to see that they are sighted in properly.

You said you've never shot a gun. You're going to want to practice shooting to improve your accuracy. It is not a pleasant feeling when you wound a deer and never find it. I started hunting when I was around 7 or 8. I stopped flinching after I shot the largest deer I've ever killed. I was around 9 or 11 and using a 30-30 which holds 7 bullets. There was a giant buck laying about 50 yards away. I shot at him and missed. He just continued to stay there which is something that does not happen 99.99% of the time. I shot again and hit him in the chest. We went down to about 5 or 10 yards away. I didn't want to finish the deer off because I felt bad for it. I wanted my father to kill it. He made me shoot it. He told me to aim for the neck. The problem was I kept looking away every time I shot. I shot the deer 5 times around the face. The deer's jaw came completely off. It was very sad. After that I never flinched again and I never shot at a deer unless I was sure I would hit it. I'm hoping you don't have to go through that. If I shoot at a target now, I make sure I never stop watching so that I see it as it hits the ground and not after. I wish you the best of luck with your future hunting.

Each firearm has their own particulars. Even different models firing the same caliber. Make sure you understand the gun you use and choose. Practice with it, keep it clean, well-oile, and sighted in. Don't just leave it lying around when it is not hunting season, target practice. Heck, give reloading a try. I reloaded my own .30-06 and .45-70 rounds. Oh, don't use .45-70 for hunting whitetail deer, there will be nothing left.

Try a hunter's safety course.

That's what I came here to say. Back when I belonged, the NRA had an excellent one. Now it seems to have disappeared. But hunting goes beyond safety. If you're going to be a good hunter, you must acquire a pretty good skill set, not excluding field dressing, or you will just be wasting your time and animals' lives.

Best bet: find a friend who has been hunting for decades and get permission to go with him.

That's what I came here to say. Back when I belonged, the NRA had an excellent one. Now it seems to have disappeared. But hunting goes beyond safety. If you're going to be a good hunter, you must acquire a pretty good skill set, not excluding field dressing, or you will just be wasting your time and animals' lives.

Best bet: find a friend who has been hunting for decades and get permission to go with him.

My employer is a seasoned hunter- I'm going to try to go with him.

Although he seems to do it for sport... I don't see a lot of options in this regard, though. :(

.243 isn't the best choice if only buying one gun, as that is just too small to use on elk (of which you have lots in your area), or the mule deer. Even a .270 is a bit on the light side. Consider those if purchasing two rifles, otherwise, it's hard to go wrong with a .03-06. Lots of ammo and reloading availalbe for a .30-06.

I'm saddened to read that some equate the sport of huting with the context of huting for sport used in quotes by various GA's. Shooting simply to kill and leave the killed animal unused is what was being referred to - not to the wise use of what quarry is taken as being contemplated by Matthew and the majority of modern hunters.

Matthew, most all you need is in your local library. I learned many methods of hunting mostly from library books. Experience in the field is of course necessary, but start in the library. Then, when you get out with you employer, you will have a basis of understanding from which to draw and not pester them to death with questions or ignorance.

Stay away from bows. I've hunted and taken deer with bows, and it is no easy task. Were I in a desperation situation where there was no rifle ammo availalbe, I would rather resort to snares and traps.

Stay away from bows. I've hunted and taken deer with bows, and it is no easy task. Were I in a desperation situation where there was no rifle ammo availalbe, I would rather resort to snares and traps.

A very wise and inspired person advised me to become proficient with the bow and arrow- I assume for hunting- so that's why I'm interested. Archery has always interested me, but only for target practice in the past.

I agree with finding someone to hang out with who can show you things, and reasearching as much as you can on your own. Before the requirement of training and licenses to hunt and to bear arms, it was your father, brother, uncle, or someone like that who taught you to use a firearm, and you were as free to keep and bear arms as you were to speak.

You don't have to have a license or any kind if training to purchase a firearm in Colorado (that's where I live). If you buy from a dealer they are required to do a quick FBI background check before selling you the firearm. If you buy from a private party, all you need is to be eligible to own a firearm and to be a resident in Colorado. Here is a great place to see what is available in private party sales in the state.

www.ColoGunMarket.com :: View Category - Private Party Firearms

While you are trying to figure out hunting, buy some guns and ammo, and go out to Pawnee Grasslands or Roosevelt National Forest and shoot some targets. Respect the land where you shoot, clean up your mess, and follow the rules.

Arapaho & Roosevelt National Forests Pawnee NG - Target Shooting

Also, in Colorado you do not need a permit to keep a handgun in your car, either concealed or not concealed. Like many places in America, you can also carry openly in Colorado without a permit, with some restrictions. Check this out.

FAQ Colorado Firearms Laws

Regards,

Vanhin

• 3 weeks later...

If you are hunting wabbit I've heard that you need to be vewwy vewwy qwiet and depending on where your at you may want to carry a sidearm especially if your in Alaska...Grizzlies can get pretty fiesty.

If thats the case then I would suggest carrying an Eludium Pu-36.

Sometimes being qwiet isn't so very good...Back when I used to hunt more

It was getting kinda dark but I decided go out to the hunting spot for a few.I came up to a fence with a gate I needed to undo so I grasped the posts to squeeze them together so I could unhook the lock.Well...one of them moments happened.I'm not sure why I didn't notice that big ol' owl sitting on top of that post but he was none to happy that I grabbed hold of his feet.The wind from his wings blew my hat off as we both stared at each other.Finally...I got my wits back and let go.I don't think my heart stopped racing till I got back home and sat down for a good while.That was a short hunting session that I'll never forget...wonder if someone was trying to tell me somethin that night.

So, I've decided to learn about firearms and learn how to hunt. I have had no life experience with either.

Anyone have some suggestions on where to start? I'm looking to get a handgun for personal protection, a hunting rifle, and a bow and arrow. I'm open to advice from anyone with knowledge in any of these areas. Also, if anyone knows if a good online resource to study up on those things, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!

winchester .30-.30 (model '94 would be perfect) for hunting. there is no greater gun for hunting in my never-to-be-humble opinion than this one. it is perfectly weighted, easy to use, very accurate, and was good enough for most cowboys, lawmen, and outlaws alike (at least the early versions). they still manufacture them, but the post 1964 versions are not nearly as well made as the earlier. you can still get the earlier models and they won't cost you an arm and a leg. i have one that belonged to my father and grandfather that i have taken on many hunting trips, and it is a fine, fine rifle.

Posted Image

as far as handguns...there are many great manufacturers, models and types. you will find diehard fans of specific brands, and for good reason, but the most important thing is to find one that you are comfortable shooting and that you enjoy shooting. people can say all they want about the benefits that make such and such a gun superior, but unless you are comfortable handling it, it is all for naught.

i am a glock man myself. i own a number of different handguns (from czech made to american made), but the glock is what i carry concealed and the one in which i trust my life. i carry a model 23 which is a .40 caliber (if it's good enough for the fbi, it's good enough for me) because it has basically the stopping power of the larger .45 caliber, but it has the speed and accuracy of a .9mm.

good luck and good for you.

Edited by theoriginalavatar

What state do you live in? It's very necessary to find out what your state and local laws say about defending yourself and others. Does your state follow castle doctrine, or will you go to jail for 20 years if you shoot an armed home invader? Do you intend to carry? Lots of things to figure out before you actually buy something.

i agree wholeheartedly with LM. gun laws are screwy across the country. case in point...

in nevada (where i live) it is not required by law to register your handguns. in clark county (the county where las vegas is and where i live) it is required by law to register them. in boulder city (another city in clark county) it is not required.

so if i move to boulder city and buy a handgun, do i have to register it? the city laws say no, the county laws say yes, the state laws say no. whom do i listen to?

this is just one example of the crazy laws that are everywhere in every state, county, and city in the country.

theoriginalavatar, that gun looks very familiar. I am sure that I grew up with that one in the house, as well as the others that I named previously. Heck, when my dad passed away, we had something in the neighbourhood of fourty long guns to sell. My mom just wanted to keep hers, and a few of the others that had a bit more significance. I think now, 7 years on, she has parted with all except her bolt action .22, probably got that one in the late '50's, early '60's.. If I put my mind to it, I am sure I could remember his arsenal.

Ahh, memories, but now I live in Scotland, where I need a place to shoot, a secure locker, and an interview with the Firearms Officer, on the local Police force before I can even purchase the firearm. I have none of the above.

Matthew, since you mentioned you had no experience on how to hunt I would plead with you to think twice in what you are going to do. Hunting is considered a "sport" unfortunately, is it killing a sport? Not trying to judge you in your choice of course just merely trying to hope you will change your mind about it. :)

Joseph F. Smith:

George Q. Cannon:

Thanks for letting me share this. :)

Suzie

suzie, i love and respect you dearly, but are you simply assuming that the OP is wanting a gun to hunt for sport? perhaps i missed it, but i did not see that he indicated this. there is also a great quote by joseph smith that warns agains killing creatures for amusement, but there is also hunting for sustenance. when i hunt, it is for food. no, i do not NEED to hunt for food. we have grocery stores in las vegas the same as anywhere else (although there are slot machines in our grocery stores, unlike other places lol), but i use the meat that i have taken through hunting to feed my family. it is not wasted, and we are always greatful for it. i do not know the OP's intentions, but i would like to give him the benefit of the doubt. please don't take this the wrong way, i always have enjoyed your comments and i see and respect your opinion, but i just wanted to point out that there could be other motives than hunting for sport.

in nevada (where i live) it is not required by law to register your handguns. in clark county (the county where las vegas is and where i live) it is required by law to register them. in boulder city (another city in clark county) it is not required.

This would almost necessitate those needing a hit man in Las Vegas would need to look to hit men in Pahrump, Nevada to insure the gun could never be traced.

winchester .30-.30 (model '94 would be perfect) for hunting. there is no greater gun for hunting in my never-to-be-humble opinion than this one. it is perfectly weighted, easy to use, very accurate, and was good enough for most cowboys, lawmen, and outlaws alike (at least the early versions). they still manufacture them, but the post 1964 versions are not nearly as well made as the earlier. you can still get the earlier models and they won't cost you an arm and a leg. i have one that belonged to my father and grandfather that i have taken on many hunting trips, and it is a fine, fine rifle.

Posted Image

I really enjoy my pre-1964 Winchester .32 Special!!! Not as easy to find ammo as the 30-30 version, but those older lever actions (not the newer revised version) are great guns! Mine belonged to my grandfather as well.