Pro-Mormon article in Baptist Journal

srives

Hidden

Well, like I say in my review of the article, the Journal that published the article is big-time Evangelical. The president of the Seminary wrote a book called "Mormonism Unmasked" and Sandra Tanner contributed articles. So then, the Journal comes out with a pro-Book of Mormon article (the author even appeals to the D&C). The disclaimer by the Journal is that the author is Mormon but not LDS, and a the Journal restated that they are Baptist while the author is not. As far as disclaimers go, it was pretty sympathetic to the author. Then away he went and wrote a pro-Book of Mormon article. It was written from a Postmodern point of view (that is, he is obviously a part of the philisophical stream of our day), but the end result is still the same: a Southern Baptist Journal published a Book of Mormon article.

srives, I'm assuming you are the person that wrote the critique.

Did you actually read Mr. Palmer's article because I don't get the impression that his article was written as being pro-BofM. Do you know anything about Mr. Palmer and his relationship with the LDS church? I suggest you read his article again.

M.

Hidden

Right, the link above is a rebuttal to Grant Palmer's pro-Mormon article.

What I was looking for here on this forum (the reason I wrote) is I want to find a pro-Mormon take on the same Palmer article. It is only four pages long. I have a photocopy. I wonder if the editor of the Journal would let me post it?

Maureen, your link seemed abbreviated for a four page article, and I am wonder from this quote

For example, does the spirit that is felt when reading the book mean that it confirms that God and Christ is the same being [Palmer alludes to the Book of Mormon modalistic tendencies] or that man is more evil than good —both doctrines taught in the Book of Mormon,

if this isn't some sort of paraphrasing. I thought only Bob Dole spoke of himself in such a third person manner.

:confused:

Hidden

Do you know anything about Mr. Palmer and his relationship with the LDS church?

Like I said, the article is pro-Book of Mormon (which I guess is different than pro-LDS). But it was published in a Southern Baptist Journal. See, I am not Mormon, and I don't know anything about Mr. Palmer, all I know is that I read his article and it was a pro-BOM article. But maybe I am wrong, and maybe your take is different. That's what I would like to find out. Do Mormons (I guess LDS Mormons) think that this article is good for (or bad for) the Book of Mormon.

Hidden

:confused:

The square brackets are the Southern Baptist editor's insertion into Grant's article. The article was four pages because it spanned four pages (but there were pictures and such). So, yeah, that link is the whole article. Looks smaller on a web page, for sure!