Paul's Teachings on Salvation by Grace

Daniel2020

I often encounter Church members with a knee-jerk reaction against Paul and some of this teaching. I often find they have not really studied Paul’s teaching nor are they really conversant with some of the doctrines Paul discusses. (There are Church members who think Paul’s teachings on these subjects are the same as those of certain modern denominations, which is not the case.) I prepared the following handout for a class I taught; hopefully, some board members will find it useful.

Justification

A just man is not a sinless man, rather he is a repentant man. The scriptures teach that no man is without sin.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

--Romans 3:23

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

--1 John 1:8

Paul’s point is well taken: No man (other than Christ) is without sin. No man can be justified by personal righteousness (the works of faith) any more than he could by the Law of Moses.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the words Just, Justification, and Justice come from the same root word. Theologically justification refers to the action by which a person is made righteous by God. It is appropriate, then, to discuss the process of justification by referring to the law of justice. Justification is the process by which guilt is taken away through the atonement of Jesus Christ.

Through the process of repentance—made possible by the atonement of Christ—when a man brings his life into conformity with the commandments of God he is declared by the Holy Ghost to be a just or righteous man able to abide his covenants with God. It is role of the Holy Ghost to justify a man. All covenants into which men enter must be entered into in righteousness so the Holy Ghost can justify the person for what he has done. (See D&C 132:7.)

Thus a person is justified when the Holy Ghost declares a person righteous. This does not mean without sin. Rather, a righteous man is one who by repenting—confessing and forsaking sin—has been put back in his right relationship with God, which is obeying God’s commandments.

Sanctification

Sanctification is a state of holiness. It comes through the forgiveness of sin made possible by the atonement of Christ to the repentant that have been justified by the Holy Ghost. It means that an individual’s sins have been forgiven, that he is now clean, pure, and spotless before God.

As Moroni wrote:

(32) Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.

(33) And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.

--Moroni 10:32 - 33

Born Again

A repentant person who has been sanctified by the atonement of Christ is one who has been born again. One who has truly been born again of the water and the sprit has done more—far more—than one who by covenant has been commanded to receive the Holy Ghost following baptism. One who is born again is truly a new creature.

The question is sometimes asked how a person can tell if he or she has been born again. Alma both asks and answers this question:

And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?

--Alma5:14

Now they, after being sanctified by the Holy Ghost, having their garments made white, being pure and spotless before God, could not look upon sin save it were with abhorrence; and there were many, exceedingly great many, who were made pure and entered into the rest of the Lord their God.

--Alma 13:12

Those who have been born again—those who have been justified and sanctified—cannot look upon sin expect with abhorrence. Nor can the Lord. (See Alma 13:12 and D&C 1:31-33.)

Salvation by Grace

Paul’s writings on grace have been the subject of much controversy. They are often somewhat discounted by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Yet what Paul said is very similar to what Nephi wrote:

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, reconcile yourselves to the will of God...and remember, after ye are reconciled unto God, that it is only in and through the grace of God that ye are saved.

--2 Nephi10:24

Did any man ever deserve to have Christ crucified for him? No man has ever earned the right to have had Christ suffer in Gethsemane and on the cross to atone for his sins. The atonement and resurrection are Christ’s gifts to mankind. They come as a result of his great love—his grace—for all mankind. Not as an obligation to any man, however much he may have kept the commandments and repented of his sins.

Consider for a moment the case of a man who, due to alcoholism, needs a kidney transplant to live. However righteous a man he may be, is he obligated to give his brother a kidney to save his brother’s life? The answer is a resounding “No.” Should a man choose to donate a kidney to his brother to save his brother’s life it is an unmerited gift of love.

Salvation comes in two forms:

· From temporal death

· From spiritual death

Salvation from temporal death comes through resurrection. The resurrection is a free gift for the righteous and the unrighteous. All who are born will die. All who die will be resurrected. (1 Cor 15:22.)

Salvation from spiritual death comes through the atonement. Sin separates us from God both on earth and in heaven—in this life and in the life to come. The atonement of Christ makes it possible for our sins to be removed thus allowing us to dwell with God.

Of course, spiritual salvation requires repentance since no unclean thing can dwell with God. (See Moses 6:57.). Because sin separates man from God no man can be cleansed of sin until he has ceased to sin. However, repentance and obedience to the commandments in no way obligate Christ to atone for the misdeeds of mankind.

Again, consider the case of a man who, due to alcoholism, needs a kidney transplant to live. Until such time as he overcomes his alcoholism he is not able to benefit from a kidney transplant. Even if he receives a kidney transplant his behavior—his drinking—will still result in his death. It is only through changing his conduct—ceasing to drink—that he puts himself in a position that he can benefit from a kidney transplant.

So it is with us. We cannot be cleansed of sin until we first cease sinning. It is only by repenting that we put ourselves in a position from which we can benefit from the atonement of Christ. We do not earn forgiveness from sin. We simply put ourselves in a position to benefit from the atonement.

As Nephi wrote:

For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.

--2 Nephi 25:23

Edited by Daniel2020

Just commenting on a part of your post (which is both and interesting and informative – Thanks).

The words salvation and salvage have the same root meaning. When something is salvaged there is a two step process. First that which has value is separated from that which does not have value or that which is ruined. The second is that which has value is gathered or saved. And so it is with salvation of an individual – that which has eternal value is first separated from that which has no eternal value and then that which is of value is saved – or redeemed.

The Traveler

A just man is not a sinless man, rather he is a repentant man. The scriptures teach that no man is without sin.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

--Romans 3:23

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

--1 John 1:8

Paul’s point is well taken: No man (other than Christ) is without sin. No man can be justified by personal righteousness (the works of faith) any more than he could by the Law of Moses.

Daniel, I totally agree.

Respectfully, I think the following is much different.

Through the process of repentance—made possible by the atonement of Christ—when a man brings his life into conformity with the commandments of God he is declared by the Holy Ghost to be a just or righteous man able to abide his covenants with God. It is role of the Holy Ghost to justify a man. All covenants into which men enter must be entered into in righteousness so the Holy Ghost can justify the person for what he has done. (See D&C 132:7.)

But no one keeps the commandments. This is saying no one is saved until he first "brings his life into conformity with the commandments of God". Who on this planet keeps the commandments? No one but Christ has or ever will keep them. If I'm not able to saved until I first "bring my life into conformity with the commandments of God" I can never be saved. Remember 1 John 1:8.

As Moroni wrote:

(32) Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God

Again, this is saying "get your life right, stop sinning, THEN His grace is enough".

Jesus said; Math. 11:28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Also Math. 5:38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. 39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. 41 And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. 42 Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away. Do we obey these 24/7/365?

The bolded verse especially gets me. Do we ALWAYS go the extra mile with everyone?

Romans 3:20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

How can we "deny ourselves of all ungodliness" and "love God with all our might, mind and strength" without FIRST recieving the Holy Spirit and thus the power to obey?

Did any man ever deserve to have Christ crucified for him? No man has ever earned the right to have had Christ suffer in Gethsemane and on the cross to atone for his sins. The atonement and resurrection are Christ’s gifts to mankind. They come as a result of his great love—his grace—for all mankind. Not as an obligation to any man, however much he may have kept the commandments and repented of his sins.

Again I completely agree.

If we keep the commandments then Christ owes us salvation, but no one does, justified or not.

Because sin separates man from God no man can be cleansed of sin until he has ceased to sin.

Then no one can ever be saved.

Have you stopped sinning?

The blood of Jesus cleanses us of all sins.

1 John 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

In confessing our sins we are cleansed, not from ceasing to sin. Now that is in no way a license to sin.

For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.

--2 Nephi 25:23

Maybe I got this all wrong but it seems I, a sinner, have to first get my life right so by grace I can recieve the Holy Spirit. My works make me eligible for grace.

This isn't what Paul taught.

But no one keeps the commandments. This is saying no one is saved until he first "brings his life into conformity with the commandments of God". Who on this planet keeps the commandments? No one but Christ has or ever will keep them. If I'm not able to saved until I first "bring my life into conformity with the commandments of God" I can never be saved. Remember 1 John 1:8.

I keep the commandments. Am I sinless....maybe when I am sleeping. :) Surely you believe in repentance? Repentance means to change....to turn away from sin...so is repentance a requirement of salvation....yes. When we stop committing a sinful act....like fornication and turn away from the act, understanding that it a serious sin and feel remorse....we are attempting to bring our lives into conformity with the commandments of God. Think of "conformity with the commandments" as repentance......turning away from the sin. No one is perfect and no one is sinless, but we are required to strive to live as Christ lived and when we fail....we repent. That is why we partake of the Sacrament WEEKLY.

How can we "deny ourselves of all ungodliness" and "love God with all our might, mind and strength" without FIRST recieving the Holy Spirit and thus the power to obey?

Well for starters...the Light of Christ is given to all mankind so that when we make choices....when we exercise our agency...we will understand right from wrong. The Holy Ghost will testify of Truth....of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. In order to have the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit you MUST do the following:

We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

In confessing our sins we are cleansed, not from ceasing to sin. Now that is in no way a license to sin.

A little more to it than that, Specifically:

1. We must first acknowledge that we have sinned and feel sorrow......god like sorrow...a "broken heart and a contrite spirit."

2. We must confess the sin to the Lord and in cases of serious transgression....like adultery....to our ecclesiastical leader.

3. We must turn away from the sin.

4. Make restitution when possible.

The Atonement of Jesus Christ satisfied the demands of Justice and made Mercy available to all on conditions of repentance.

Salvation by Grace is outlined by a late Apostle...Elder Bruce McConkie:

Salvation by Grace

Now, there is a true doctrine of salvation by grace--a salvation by grace alone and without works, as the scriptures say. To understand this doctrine we must define our terms as they are defined in holy writ.

1. What is salvation? It is both immortality and eternal life. It is an inheritance in the highest heaven of the celestial world. It consists of the fullness of the glory of the Father and is reserved for those for whom the family unity continues in eternity. Those who are saved become as God is and live as he lives.

2. What is the plan of salvation? It is the system ordained by the Father to enable his spirit children to advance and progress and become like him. It consists of three great and eternal verities--the Creation, the Fall, and the Atonement--without any of which there could be no salvation.

3. What is the grace of God? It is his mercy, his love, and his condescension--all manifest for the benefit and blessing of his children, all operating to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

We rejoice in the heavenly condescension that enabled Mary to become “the mother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh” (1 Nephi 11:18).

We bask in the eternal love that sent the Only Begotten into the world “that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).

We are profoundly grateful for that mercy which endureth forever and through which salvation is offered to erring mortals.

4. Does salvation come by grace, or grace alone, by grace without works? It surely does, without any question in all its parts, types, kinds, and degrees.

We are saved by grace, without works; it is a gift of God. How else could it come?

In his goodness and grace the great God ordained and established the plan of salvation. No works on our part were required.

In his goodness and grace he created this earth and all that is on it, with man as the crowning creature of his creating--without which creation his spirit children could not obtain immortality and eternal life. No works on our part were required.

In his goodness and grace he provided for the Fall of man, thus bringing mortality and death and a probationary estate into being--without all of which there would be no immortality and eternal life. And again no works on our part were required.

In his goodness and grace--and this above all--he gave his Only Begotten Son to ransom man and all life from the temporal and spiritual death brought into the world by the Fall of Adam.

He sent his Son to redeem mankind, to atone for the sins of the world, “to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” (Moses 1:39). And again all this comes to us as a free gift and without works.

There is nothing any man could do to create himself. This was the work of the Lord God.

Nor did we have any part in the Fall of man, without which there could be no salvation. The Lord provided the way, and Adam and Eve put the system into operation.

And finally, there neither has been, nor is, nor ever can be any way nor means by which man alone can, or any power he possesses, redeem himself.

We cannot resurrect ourselves anymore than we can create ourselves. We cannot create a heavenly abode for the Saints, nor make provision for the continuation of the family unit in eternity, nor bring salvation and exaltation into being. All these things are ordained and established by that God who is the Father of us all. And they all came into being and are made available to us, as free gifts, without works, because of the infinite goodness and grace of Him whose children we are.

Truly, there is no way to overstate the goodness and grandeurs and glories of the grace of God which bringeth salvation. Such wondrous love, such unending mercy, such infinite compassion and condescension--all these can come only from the Eternal God who lives in eternal life and who desires all of his children to live as he lives and be inheritors of eternal life.

Edited by bytor2112

A bit more on Sanctification and Justification and Salvation by a modern Apostle, Elder D. Todd Christofferson:

An awesome read!

We may appropriately speak of sanctification as the baptism of the Spirit, or being “baptized with fire, and with the Holy Ghost”

Thus, we may appropriately speak of one who is justified as pardoned, without sin, or guiltless

Thus, it is not that we earn these gifts, but rather that we choose to seek and accept justification and sanctification. Since the Savior paid for our sins and satisfied justice for us, we become debtors to Him rather than to justice. We must therefore meet the stipulations He has established for forgiveness and cleansing. Otherwise, He withdraws His proffered mediation, and we are left to deal alone with the demands of justice, lacking the means to become pure. One must choose Christ to receive what Christ offers.