Alma 47 Questions

TheActualLiz

Here we have this sad story of a revolution among the Laminites where a corrupt man gets into power using very deceptive methods. It seems like the Laminites had some ethically difficult decisions to make during this time and I was curious about some of the choices different groups of them made.

1. In verses 2 and 3 we have the kind being stirred up to get involved in an unjust war against the Nephites. Many of the Laminites refuse to join the military so the king starts a draft and several Laminites leave while others join the military. Which group did the right thing? Could it be that both or neither of the groups were right?

2. Amalickiah's plan to overthrow the Lamanite government succeeds and he becomes king through breaking a number of laws. We know that this sometimes happens in modern revolutions and even within elections and succession disputes among established nations. When citizens believe this to be the case what is the best thing for them to do?

3. In verse 36 we have the Nephites who had followed Amalickiah doing a bit of extra sinning, even more so than the Lamanites. It seems to be a rather common pattern for those who fall way from any spiritual path to go through a rebound phase of rebellion which is pretty dramatic. Is there anything that can be done to lessen or shorten this rebound effect or help people turn back around to living better lives? How can we help those who have been burned by the many examples of corrupt Christian churches we see in modern times?

Thank you for your reply. I was not trying to hunt out a political thread (at least I don't think so) but the video you posted was good. Creepy and terrifying, but good.

I especially appreciate the scriptural references for "refusing the king's meat". I don't know why but those verses had not been coming to my head lately. It has been far too long since I really studied the scriptures and I am glad to have help now that I am getting back into it.

I think you are right about setting a good example and creating a place of peace. I especially like the second part of that statement... become a place of peace... I think that is what I was missing. So few have ever experienced true Christlike love... I think I can try to focus on that in my meditation and practice.

Thanks again for the advice. :)

Apologies for being late in my reply these are good questions that require some thinking.

Here we have this sad story of a revolution among the Laminites where a corrupt man gets into power using very deceptive methods. It seems like the Laminites had some ethically difficult decisions to make during this time and I was curious about some of the choices different groups of them made.

1. In verses 2 and 3 we have the kind being stirred up to get involved in an unjust war against the Nephites. Many of the Laminites refuse to join the military so the king starts a draft and several Laminites leave while others join the military. Which group did the right thing? Could it be that both or neither of the groups were right?

Good question. not considering the intent of the war itself both actions may be justifiable, altho in this case those that deserted are probably more in the right.

If one wasn't aware that treachery took place it would be justifiable in that one was following orders.

unfortunately we are not given an insight to the heart or intentions of the general lamanite population. But i'd imagine that the intents and feelings ran a wide spectrum. I'd wager the main reason for deserting is fear, and the main reasons for following orders were both fear, gaining power, revenge and/or probably just being obedient.

You'll find in Alma that he gives some very very good examples on war-

-When you start a war action in unrightiousness

-When you go to war in defense (both where the people are rightious and unrightious), or to get out of bondage.

-When you choose pacifism (both in rightious and unrightious ways).

2. Amalickiah's plan to overthrow the Lamanite government succeeds and he becomes king through breaking a number of laws. We know that this sometimes happens in modern revolutions and even within elections and succession disputes among established nations. When citizens believe this to be the case what is the best thing for them to do?

to go through all nonviolent ways to solve the problem first. if that fails there are really only 3 options;

1) Submit.

2) Leave.

3) Revolt/fight back.

3. In verse 36 we have the Nephites who had followed Amalickiah doing a bit of extra sinning, even more so than the Lamanites. It seems to be a rather common pattern for those who fall way from any spiritual path to go through a rebound phase of rebellion which is pretty dramatic. Is there anything that can be done to lessen or shorten this rebound effect or help people turn back around to living better lives? How can we help those who have been burned by the many examples of corrupt Christian churches we see in modern times?

ok there are two different groups here- the first are those who are eager and seek to leave the path of rightiousness. This is probably the hardest group to turn around because their hearts desire darkness and not light, and generally for such they don't turn until they get humbled by God, usually through severe misfortune.

when this is the case the options are pretty much limited to praying for them, and being an example, and working hard so that they may not overcome you, and extending love. In extreme cases the only way to stop them from going further into sin and/or harming others is to eliminate them.

the second group are those who are in darkness because they have been decieved by man (the ones who get burned by bad examples). These are more easy to reach out to, and one does so through being humble, loving, and showing what the right way is.

good questions.. keep an eye out as you read through alma - he has tons of info on these very questions.

I need to read through alma now so i can get references for you lol, this might take a little while... there is much to go through for material.