Proxy Work: One Last Word...

Justice

I realize the thread was closed and the person who needs to see this no longer can, but I thought maybe someone else might read the comments made and may be wondering how the scripture quoted can be used to support the Church's stance on temple work.

These verses were quoted:

Alma 34:

32. For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors.

33. And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many witnesses, therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.

34. Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world.

35. For behold, if ye have procrastinated the day of your repentance even until death, behold, ye have become subjected to the spirit of the devil, and he doth seal you his; therefore, the Spirit of the Lord hath withdrawn from you, and hath no place in you, and the devil hath all power over you; and this is the final state of the wicked.

The interpretation was that since this life is the time to prepare to meet God that temple work is not necessary since those who passed on can no longer work.

My reply would be that this scripture describes exactly what we do. The fact that those who pass on can no longer "work," or perform ordinances, that they must be done here, in this life, by those who remian.

It makes perfect sense if you simply ponder and pray about it. So, if the other thread left you pondering and curious about how that scripture can relate to temple work, I hope this helps.

The ancients often used symbols to speak of sacred things. In this example the word mountain is symbolic of the temple:

Mosiah 15:15-18

15 And O how beautiful upon the mountains were their feet!

16 And again, how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those that are still publishing peace!

17 And again, how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those who shall hereafter publish peace, yea, from this time henceforth and forever!

18 And behold, I say unto you, this is not all. For O how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that is the founder of peace, yea, even the Lord, who has redeemed his people; yea, him who has granted salvation unto his people;

This scripture clearly state using symbols that work began by Christ will continue and that Christ's work will also be rooted in the temple where redeemption and salvation will take place. Baptism is a work and ordinance of salvation. This scripture mirrors Isaiah and explaines Isaiah in more detail.

The Traveler

The scriptures make it clear that death brings an end to repentance, not an end to forgiveness. If it were so, than Satan would have power over Christ. But even in the after life and the torment that the unrepentant soul is promised, salvation is in Christ's hand.

A baptism of water is a requirement of the Gospel, therefore offering it to the dead allows them to return to heaven. Receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, even after death, in an LDS temple suffices to fulfill the requirement of the second baptism of fire.

The LDS church has the doctrine of progression. This progression does not stopped at death. His kingdom on earth has the power to seal in heaven what is sealed on earth.