Warning - AVG Antivirus Users. READ THIS

HoosierGuy

For you AVG antivirus users that also run Windows 7. Do not download any more updates for it. I already know one guy who runs Windows 7 and dowloaded updates and it crashed his PC big time.

AVG 2011 Free edition causes problems for Windows 7 64-bit users | ZDNet

A virus definition update for AVG 2011 Free edition seems to be causing problems for Windows 7 64-bit users.

AVG Update Cripples Windows 7 | Windows 7 News

For those of you who are using Windows 7, you may want to watch out if your using AVG antivirus to protect your system. On Wedensday night, AVG released an update for it’s antivirus program which completely crippled Windows 7 64 bit systems and rendered them useless.

Microsoft Security Essentials is better, works great and is free.

Microsoft Security Essentials wraps antivirus and antispyware engines, rootkit protection, and real-time detection into one package. No firewall but works great with Windows Firewall.

Edited by ThankGodForRepentence

thus why i use Avast. and malwarebytes....and hijackthis....

Ditto. Particularly hijack this - because it leaves the user to decide whether what it has detected is malware or not, so it can be a lot more stringent in what it reports. Most of what it finds is not malware, but to date it's not failed to find what I wanted it to, and it's very difficult to make malware that it wouldnt pick up.