Does GOD exist? A genius's answer

skippy740

I believe God created all things and sin is the opposition to God's laws and it is necessary for righteousness to exist. 1 Jn. 3:4 sin is the transgression of the law

Nephi 2 says:

12 Wherefore, it must needs have been created for a thing of naught; wherefore there would have been no purpose in the end of its creation. Wherefore, this thing must needs destroy the wisdom of God and his eternal purposes, and also the power, and the mercy, and the justice of God.

13 And if ye shall say there is no law, ye shall also say there is no sin. If ye shall say there is no sin, ye shall also say there is no righteousness. And if there be no righteousness there be no happiness. And if there be no righteousness nor happiness there be no punishment nor misery. And if these things are not there is no God. And if there is no God we are not, neither the earth; for there could have been no creation of things, neither to act nor to be acted upon; wherefore, all things must have vanished away.

14 And now, my sons, I speak unto you these things for your profit and learning; for there is a God, and he hath created all things, both the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are, both things to act and things to be acted upon.

15 And to bring about his eternal purposes in the end of man, after he had created our first parents, and the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and in fine, all things which are created, it must needs be that there was an opposition; even the forbidden fruit in opposition to the tree of life; the one being sweet and the other bitter.

Sin is breaking God's law and men are free to act for themselves whether to break that law themselves as they now know good from evil.

Nephi 2 later says

26 And the Messiah cometh in the fulness of time, that he may redeem the children of men from the fall. And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon, save it be by the punishment of the law at the great and last day, according to the commandments which God hath given.

I've not heard that God created out of nothing.

Creation

https://lds.org/study/topics/creation?lang=eng

Under the direction of Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ created the heavens and the earth (see Mosiah 3:8; Moses 2:1). From scripture revealed through the Prophet Joseph Smith, we know that in the work of the Creation, the Lord organized elements that had already existed (see Abraham 3:24). He did not create the world “out of nothing,” as some people believe.

I've also not heard it said that God "created spirits of men", we know we are the Spiritual Children of our Heavenly Father per Henry B. Eyring "Heavenly Father wants and needs our help to bring His spirit children home to Him again"

but God did create spirits of everything else at least as Moses 3 states

5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew. For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth. For I, the Lord God,......

He might not have created the Intelligence but certainly the Spirit per Moses.

Well I'd say God's plan was God's plan. It was not left up to a counsel to determine. It was always God's plan. Do you think God asked what He ought to do?

I guess I don't get the gist of your question. Heavenly Father's plan was for us to choose good or evil. Lucifer's plan was choose good or good, or in other words no choice.

But if you are saying it was God's plan and mean our Heavenly Father's plan and that He called the Council in Heaven so that He could explain His plan at the council, then well yes.

"One of the spirits among us was like God. He offered to serve Heavenly Father and all the spirit children by being the Savior. This was Jesus."

The Great Council in Heaven

"The Great Council in Heaven", Liahona, Apr. 1984, 1

(This story is found in Abr. 3:21–28, Moses 4:1–4.)

Well I'd say God's plan was God's plan. It was not left up to a counsel to determine. It was always God's plan. Do you think God asked what He ought to do?

I agree, Dr T, and no, I don't think he asked. OTOH, I do believe in the council in heaven and have to mention that it is found mentioned a few times in the Bible.

I just don't think the council was figuring out how to do God's work as much as it was figuring out what each person's role in that plan would be. Such as, would each spirit agree with the plan, or seek another alternative?

HiJolly

The purpose of the Council(s) were multifold. Heavenly Father explained His plan, chose a Savior and let us choose to follow Christ or Lucifer and the preordaining accomplished and special abilities received.

In the vision recorded in Abraham 3, the Lord showed Abraham the Council in Heaven that was held before the earth was created. (Note that latter-day prophets have indicated that the Council in Heaven was a series of meetings rather than a single meeting.) Who was present at this council? (Heavenly Father and his spirit children.) What do we learn about this council from Abraham 3:22–23?

in the Council in Heaven, Heavenly Father presented his plan of salvation and chose a Savior for us, Jesus Christ was chosen in the Council in Heaven to be our Savior; we chose to follow him.

We went to a meeting of the spirit children of God. All the noble and great ones who would live on the earth were there—future prophets, Apostles, presidents, mothers and fathers, and all those who would come to earth in the last days to teach the gospel to the people of the world.

Many of those who followed Heavenly Father were ordained to do special things on the earth. Of course, we would still have our agency; we would still need to choose whether or not we would do these things. Each of us also received special abilities, which we could increase by sharing them with others. Heavenly Father provided everything we would need to become like him.

https://lds.org/liahona/1984/04/the-great-council-in-heaven?lang=eng

Old Testament: Gospel Doctrine Teacher’s Manual Lesson 2: “Thou Wast Chosen Before Thou Wast Bornâ€

Hi ThankGodforRepentance,

Thank you for that information. Was that or those the same as the "Council of the gods" or is that something else?

"The Great Council in Heaven"

and

In the vision recorded in Abraham 3, the Lord showed Abraham the Council in Heaven that was held before the earth was created "Lesson 2: “Thou Wast Chosen Before Thou Wast Born”," Old Testament: Gospel Doctrine Teacher’s Manual, (2001), 5–8

Both about the premortal Council in Heaven - LDS.org

we did not vote on what the plan should be - the plan was explained to us, and we decided to follow it or not

Exactly that's why my post stated::

in the Council in Heaven, Heavenly Father presented his plan of salvation and chose a Savior for us, Jesus Christ was chosen in the Council in Heaven to be our Savior; we chose to follow him