paperwork

I have recently met with my bishop in regards to my sealing cancellation request. He has paperwork to complete and must send a letter off to my ex to gather his input. I am writing a letter. Parts are easy, like my repentance process and my plans to be sealed to someone else. However, the details of why the marriage ended are very painful to discuss. The only guidance I got from my bishop is to follow the spirit when writing. My question is how much do I include without this sounding like sour grapes? I have no more hostility and dealt with those issues long ago. Do I need to be detailed, and if so, how detailed?

I had to write such a letter recently. It was very hard for me to start the letter. I suggest going chronologically. It helped me a lot to go back and think of specific times and occurances. Include as much detail as necessary to tell the reasons. Have someone you trust proofread it (I had my sister).

Good Luck,

Mags

I really think that your Bishop gave you the most appropriate advice. What can we strangers offer other than our own ideas of men/women that may have been ok for our situation, but could be completely wrong for yours? Do seek the guidance of the Spirit.

I myself did not have to complete an application, but was asked to write a letter in response to my ex's application. What helped me was to think of the letter from the perspective of the First Presidency. What is it you think they are wanting to know? What is pertinent to their decision to approve the cancelation or not?

Well, I've never written such a letter, so take my advice for what it's worth. I'd try to give all the relevant facts. That's facts only - not judgements, not assumptions, not how things felt. Just things he did or didn't do, that lead you to believe this sealing should be canceled.

You should also describe your contribution to the dissolution of the marriage. Were there things that you could have done differently? If so, how have you changed yourself to prevent a future divorce?