Gift of Aaron

Jmaddox

I think the conventional interpretation is the idea of being a spokesman for Joseph Smith, just as Aaron was for Moses.

A more controversial interpretation, stemming partly from some now-omitted references to Aaron's "rod", was that Oliver Cowdery was able to use some sort of divining rod. More on that, here.

Even if Oliver Cowdery did have a physical "divining rod," it would not faze me. Prophets have been known to use other physical objects to accomplish God's will, such as the Urim and Thummim, Moses' staff, casting lots (for choosing a new apostle, in the N.T.), and J.S. used a handkerchief for healing people one time. The important thing is that the power comes from God, and is used for good.

It's interesting that the phrasing was changed so radically between the original form of the revelation and the 1835 form of the revelation. But it does seem likely (at least to me) that the reference is to the use of a divining rod, though a particular godly use rather than the ordinary use. Richard Bushman in his biography of Joseph Smith also endorses the view that a divining rod is involved here: "Most likely, Cowdery used a rod to discover water and minerals. The revelation spoke of divine power causing 'this rod of nature, to work in your hands.' His family may have engaged in treasure-seeking and other magical practices in Vermont, and, like others in this culture, melded magic with Christianity. [...] The revelation said nothing to discourage Cowdery's use of his special powers. [...] Rather than repudiate his claims, the revelation redirected Cowdery's use of his gifts." (Richard L. Bushman, Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling [New York, NY: Alfred A. Knopf, 2005], 73) It doesn't seem to pose any more difficulty than Joseph Smith using a seerstone to translate some of the Book of Mormon; both would be, from an LDS perspective, cases of a sanctified use of an item traditionally associated with less holy pursuits.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the conventional interpretation is the idea of being a spokesman for Joseph Smith, just as Aaron was for Moses.

A more controversial interpretation, stemming partly from some now-omitted references to Aaron's "rod", was that Oliver Cowdery was able to use some sort of divining rod. More on that, here.

I wonder why that part was omitted? (I can think of a few reasons but..) If we take into consideration that we believe Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared to a 14 year old farmer boy, what would be so controversial about Oliver and this rod? I think by changing the words, many missed the fact that heindeed had a rod and the revelation received was with regards to it.

I think Bushman's Rough Stone Rolling talks about how Joseph Smith himself sort of transitioned away from that kind of thing. Maybe it simply isn't appropriate for the Church to dwell on it in this day and age? Could be that by imitating Cowdery and experimenting with divining rods (or Smith and seer stones) people are opening doors for means by which they can be deceived with false revelation. :shrug: