Christmas Gifts for Family

Tayo

Creativeness takes a lot of time. If you are easily stressed by the ticking clock and countdown to Christmas day, you may want to reconsider going the "crafty route", and buy something instead. There are a lot of great gifts you can give that are not homemade. For individuals, think about what each person does for a hobby or an item they would use day to day. If you have someone that loves to kill a few hours on the Wii, picking up something like Mario Galaxy would be a winner, it is also the first game of the console to score a 10/10 in awhile.. If your mum enjoys gardening, you could get an outside decoration, either a lawn ornament or something that can be hung outside the house? Someone who enjoys reading a lot, maybe something like a Kindle would be appropriate? They could download books that they're interested in, and take a whole library on-the-go. They're not very expensive. Much more affordable than an iPad for example. If you want to give the whole family something, there are nice assortments and gift baskets out there, ranging in prices from about $10 and easily up to $100+. These can be filled with fruits, cookies, chocolates, floral, BluRays, etc etc.

Good luck!

• 3 years later...

This really depends on you and your family.  What you guys are into and who you guys are.

My favorite Christmas gift of all time is from my Father-in-Law.  He made me a lazy susan for my dining table from an oak tree he chopped off his backyard.  He spent about $5 in materials - varnish and the turning mechanism - but lots of elbow grease and love went into that thing.  The light oak wood doesn't match my red mahogany table but I don't care.  It sits in the middle of the table for years and years now uncovered, unpainted, sticking out and seemingly out of place... but it has been turned millions of times.  Every time somebody mentions that lazy susan not matching my dining table I relish the opportunity to once more tell the story of my Father-in-law's Christmas gift.

Another one... about 35 years ago, my dad who lived in the Philippines wanted to give a gift to his sister who lived in America.  To mail something in those days costs a ton of money and takes months to get there.  His brothers and sisters in the Philippines also wanted to send something in the package to save up on postage.  My dad got an idea - he decided to go to everyone's house and take a recording of them - whatever they want to record - to put into one cassette tape to mail to the US.  Some of my cousins recorded themselves singing or playing the piano or reciting a poem or doing an oration... some just recounted memorable things that happened to them that year... some just said Merry Christmas.  My aunt still has that tape until today and even though she has made a copy of that tape into digital format, she still keeps her old cassette player in tip top shape just so she can replay the original cassette.  It's a little embarrassing because I sang terribly in that recording and it makes me cringe to hear it.  LOL!