What was the real date of Jesus' birth?

Saguaro

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it would be okay in your opinion if this teaching (even though is not doctrinal) is taught in Institute or Seminary manuals? (the quote about April 6th as the birth of Christ is in Institute manuals I believe).

It is in the Institute manual, which was published in 1981. That is 30 years ago. We didn't have the Joseph Smith Papers back then or the evidence of archaeology as we do today. We only had James Talmage and BH Roberts putting forth their best guess, and everyone else falling in line behind them.

In teaching this in Institute, I would note that this is just one interpretation of the scripture, but there are many who would disagree with it, including many General Authorities (Elder McConkie at the end of his life changed his mind on it, and decided it was December 5 BC, for example).

So, it can be taught, but should be taught not as a hard doctrine, but as one possible reading of the verse.

Sufficient? We're going in circles. We're way beyond sufficient.

Oh, by the way, Noah's flood started on my birthday. (Gen 7:11) so I hope Pam will make note of that this year.

Well, maybe. It depends on whether Moses used the Gregorian calendar in figuring this all out. :)

It is more likely that it followed the ancient Hebrew calendar. Nisan, the first month, was in the spring, around March/April. And it could change from year to year, because it was based on lunar cycles. They would actually add an extra month every 3-4 years to keep Passover in the spring (the major holiday in Nisan).