Jarom 1:5

pam

Jarom 1Â*

5 And now, behold, two hundred years had passed away, and the people of Nephi had waxed strong in the land. They observed to keep the law of Moses and the sabbath day holy unto the Lord. And they profaned not; neither did they blaspheme. And the laws of the land were exceedingly strict.

Quotes for Discussion

“They profaned not”

Literally, the “profane” is that which is “out of the temple,” meaning that which does not center in God and a sacred or covenant relationship with him. To take the Lord’s name in vain is to profane the name of the Holy One; to violate the Sabbath day is to profane the holy day; and the breaking of any commandment constitutes the profaning of that commandment. To be profane is to be in a state of irreverence or impiety. It is to have contempt for the things of God. To profane is to pollute or to desecrate the sacred. For Jarom to testify that his people “profaned not” is for him to attest that they were a religious people who earnestly sought to live in accordance with the covenants they had made with their God.

Ibid

In Hebrews the term Sabbath means “rest.”…The Sabbath day is given throughout the generations of man for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between the Lord and his children forever….It is a day not for lavish banqueting but a day of simple meals and spiritual feasting; …a day when maid and mistress might be relieved from the preparation….A day when employer and employee, master and servant may be free from plowing, digging, toiling. It is a day when the office may be locked and business postponed, and troubles forgotten….A day to study the scriptures,…a day to nap and rest and relax, a day to visit the sick, a day to preach the gospel, a day to proselyte, a day to visit quietly with the family and get acquainted with our children, a day for proper courting, a day to do good….The Savior…recognized also that the ox might get into the mire or the ass fall into the pit; but neither in the letter nor in the spirit did he ever approve the use of the Sabbath for ordinary and regular work or for amusements and play.

Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, pp. 215-216

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints recognize Sunday as the Sabbath in commemoration of the fact that Christ came forth from the grave on Sunday, and the Apostles commenced meeting thereafter on the first day of the week (see John 20;1-6; Luke 24:1; Mark 16:1; Matt. 28:1; Acts 20:7)….Let’s not shop on Sunday. One way we avoid this is by planning ahead. Fill up the gas tank on Saturday. Acquire the needed groceries for the weekend on Saturday. Don’t you be the means of causing someone to work on Sunday because you patronize their establishment…The justification for and reason often cited by the owners and operators of such businesses is to be competitive, to conform to corporate policy, and so on. I well remember an interview President Spencer W. Kimball once had with a faithful Church member. It went like this: “What is your occupation?” And [the man] said, “I operate a service station.” And I asked, “Do you operate on the Sabbath?” His answer was, “No, I do not.” “Well, how can you get along? Most service station operators seem to think they must open on the Sabbath.” “I get along well,” he said. “The Lord is good to me.” “Do you not have stiff competition?” I asked. “Yes, indeed,” he replied. “Across the street is a man who keeps open all day Sunday.” “And you never open?” I asked. “No, sir,” he said, “and I am grateful, and the Lord is kind, and I have sufficient for my needs” (Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, p. 227). What are the promises and blessings of the Lord to those who honor the Sabbath day…? The fullness of the earth is yours the land will be blessed with rain and will yield its increase, there will be peace in the land, and God will magnify His faithful people, have respect for them, and establish His covenant with them (see D&C 59:16-19; Lev. 26:2-6, 9).

Earl C. Tingey, Ensign, May 1996, p. 10-12

There isn’t anybody in this Church who has to buy furniture on Sunday….There isn’t anybody in this Church who has to buy a new automobile on Sunday….There isn’t anybody in this Church who, with a little care and planning, has to buy groceries on Sunday….I don’t think we need to patronize the ordinary business merchants on the Sabbath day. Why do they stay open? To get customers. Who are those customers? Well, they are not all nonmembers of this Church.

Gordon B. Hinckley, Heber City/Springville, Utah, Regional Conference, Priesthood Leadership Meeting, 13 may 1995

Years ago a father asked Elder ElRay L. Christiansen (1897-1975), Assistant to the Twelve Apostles, what name Elder Christiansen could suggest for the man’s newly acquired boat. Elder Christiansen suggested, “Why not call it ‘The Sabbath Breaker?’” I’m confident the would-be sailor pondered whether his pride and joy would be a Sabbath breaker or a Sabbath keeper. Whatever his decision, it no doubt left a lasting impression upon his children.

Thomas S. Monson, Ensign, Apr. 2006 [salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2006], 4

I let my imagination go and seemed to see a band of destroying angels loosed from heaven—thundering across the land. And even before I had time to think about the situation, I seemed to see myself standing in front of these determined destroyers, declaring, “Hold, hold, hold”; and they held. “Go back,” I said: and their horses reared, their eyes flashing in impatience. The destroyers’ anxiousness showed, but they held.

The leader looked me squarely in the eye and challenged, “By what right do you ask us to hold? Have you not seen the evil of the land?”

I replied, “Yes, I know of the sordidness of the world. I see the constant mocking of God’s laws, the merchandising on his holy day, the constant breaking of his commandments. I see the evil that exists almost universally. Yes, yes, all these things are true, still…” Then I became concerned. What right had I to ask them to hold?

My eyes began to fall from his penetrating gaze, but something inside kept searching, searching, until finally a laserlike beam locked on to a misty memory made many months ago and faithfully filed away for such a time as this. A vista of a beautiful green valley passed before me and moved to the front of my consciousness.

I raised my eyes and met his as he again said, “What right do you have to ask us to hold?”

Then with the confidence of sure knowledge and spiritual direction, I replied, “You must hold, for you see, I have been through Cache Valley on a Sunday afternoon.”

Elder Groberg, Ensign, Nov ’84, p. 78-81