Mosiah 5:8

pam

Mosiah 5Â*

8 And under this head ye are made free, and there is no other head whereby ye can be made free. There is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives.

Quotes for Discussion

Charles W. Penrose

“Do not be afraid to use reverently the name of Christ. He uses it continually. We can read about it in the Book of Mormon. The Church was the Church of Christ, and in the last days the Church is to be called by that name. You may think perhaps that is a matter of little importance. Perhaps it is so to you; but I have found in my experience, from the beginning of my membership in this Church, that there is power in that name. ‘In my name they that believe shall cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues,and so on. There is power in the name of Jesus Christ. Demons tremble at that name. They recognize it. But when we, in a slip-shod way, use the name of Jesus, and say nothing about Christ, I don't know that it has so much power and influence.” (Conference Reports, Apr. 1920, p. 29)

Carlos E. Asay

“A number of years ago, two missionaries walked along a street in a large city in Europe. It was a lovely morning, and their enthusiasm for life was reflected in their brisk walk and jovial moods. When one missionary was least expecting it, the other kicked his companion’s heel and sent him stumbling forward. Both laughed boisterously over the little trick and merrily went on their way. Later, when the kicking elder had relaxed his guard, the companion returned the favor with added vigor that almost caused a serious fall on the pavement. Once again, however, they laughed and continued down the sidewalk.

“The next day they tracted along that same street. At one door, a lady appeared and extended a warm greeting. Quickly the senior companion announced, ‘We are representatives of the Lord Jesus Christ. We have a-‘ At that point, the woman interrupted the elder by saying: ‘No, you can’t be representatives of the Lord. Representatives of the Lord would not walk down the street laughing and joking like two little schoolboys, as you did yesterday.’

“In this instance, the missionaries did not match the message they were bearing. Their actions betrayed their purpose and mocked the one they represented.” (The Seven M’s of Missionary Service, pp. 66-7)