being modest in provo

Guest Chouchou

Guest Chouchou

So, my hubby and I are living in provo as of january, and I have realized that going clothes shopping is a nightmare. honestly, I'm having more trouble finding clothes that work with my garments in utah than I ever did back east. I know there has to be some good modest/lds clothing stores somewhere. I had a couple people recommend downeast basics to me, but i looked there and their clothes are a) very expensive, and b) very tiny. and I'm not big enough to shop at the plus size stores like lane bryant that have clothes that seem to cover a bit more.... =/ help plz?

why would you need different modest clothes for provo as opposed to anywhere else in the world. isnt modest, modest wherever you are?

She's saying she can't find modest clothes in stores in Provo, not that a modest set of clothes for back East are immodest for Provo or visa versa.

So, my hubby and I are living in provo as of january, and I have realized that going clothes shopping is a nightmare. honestly, I'm having more trouble finding clothes that work with my garments in utah than I ever did back east. I know there has to be some good modest/lds clothing stores somewhere. I had a couple people recommend downeast basics to me, but i looked there and their clothes are a) very expensive, and b) very tiny. and I'm not big enough to shop at the plus size stores like lane bryant that have clothes that seem to cover a bit more.... =/ help plz?

Your post reminds me of when I went to Kansas City for a conference and went shopping. I found more modest clothes and swimsuits there than I did in Utah. Of course, it's the bible belt, but still. I also saw my first 5X. And I have to say, the people in Kansas City are really nice. I liked it there.

But anyway....DownEast clothes are too tight fitting for my taste. Try good ol' JCPenneys. Or Dillard's--the prices aren't bad if you catch a sale. I do know of some people who like Kohl's. I am not one of them, but some people like their stuff.

Happy Shopping!!

I find it far more convenient to shop online. OVC and HSN are my faves. I know a lot of people find this intimidating because they don't know what will fit etc: but once you find a line of clothing that you like, you will find the same item in a very wide variety of sizes. Another thing I like is that I get new items that are packaged and not tried on by everyone, and I can have them shippoed to my door and try them on in the comforts of my own home without sales people peeking in the fitting room when I am half undressed trying to push another item. If items don't work out I can send them back by just slapping on a label and back it goes. I look for discounted shipping promos as well as free shipping promos, but honestly even with shipping I find better prices, more variety, more privacy, and save on not having to drive around burning gas in the car and schlepping from one store to the next trying to find something I like just to find that it isn't available in my size.

Modest clothing should be easy this season because prairie skirts and peasant tops are crazy in style right now and they look beautiful and cover everything you will ned covered and more.

Happy shopping.

I like Christopher Banks. Their clothes are not as expensive as Dillard's. I can always find things I like and in my size. Also, the styles are fitted and not just baggy box shaped sacks.

I also like to shop online also, but sometimes it requires returning things that don't fit right. Return shipping isn't always prepaid.

Guest Chouchou

so many comments to post to....i'm just gonna do one big post instead of trying to quote. sry ^^;

Yeah, I'm from the bible belt, so similar experience here.

I used to always shop at JCPenney but now it seems like there just isn't anything that is that modest. I got one pair of shorts, but most of them were really short. Kohl's....meh. I did get cute dish towels there though ^^. dillards is a bit pricey. I'm glad no one even thought to mention nordstrom XD but i do like window shopping there.

are there any boutiques around that just specialize in modest apparel? like that beautifully modest stuff or something?? even though i tried on one of their dresses once and it didn't work with my garments =/ but i am shaped a bit weird....part of my problem. I'm very...hourglass....and for that reason i hate shopping online.

thanks for your help so far though, ladies :) i appreciate it.