Muscle building in a few Months

Guest FixingTheWrongs

Guest FixingTheWrongs

I'm rapidly loosing weight right now. About 4 to 6 pounds a week. Since

Memorial day until Aug 26th I've lost 60 pounds. I'm going to keep going doing what I'm doing and hopefully I can loose another 30 before it starts to get really cold in October.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to weightlifting most of what I know and am lifting now comes from my High school gym classes or got off the Men's Fitness site recently.

Here is my workout and diet:

1000 to 1200 calories a day. I eat small thoughout the day, healthy food and a varied diet, and try and eat as much lean protein and vegitables as possible. I take a men's multivitamin at breakfast and a serving of lean meat or soy protein shake right before bed.

I workout in small intervals thoughout the day. When I get up I do a quick 15min weight session of a few sets of curls, shoulder raises and dumbbell chest press(35 lbs dumbbells). Throughout the day I'll do 6 to 10 sets of 20 pushups as quickly as possible(each set is a few minutes to a couple of hours apart depending on my workload). Twice a week, I'm in a building that has a small weight room and I lift during my lunch when I'm there. When I get home I run/jog/walk a mile mixing up my speed carrying two 10 lbs dumbbells. During my walking portions I do at least 20 bicep curls. An hour after dinner I do 1 set of 10, 1 set of 13 and 1 set or 15, bicep curls and shoulder raises and Ab Wheel rolls. 1 set of 15, 1 set of 18 and 1 set of 30 chest presses.

I do the weights 5 days a week and the run 6 days a week.

Now my questions:

I've put on a fair bit of muscle since I've started but I'd like to do more once I loose these last few pounds. Am I working out to much? What would you recommend in my case? I'm considering going to the gym in the winter months but I'd really like to stay at home and do things on dumbbells. I have the kind that I can easily add weight to them.

When working out to build muscle, is it better to lift heavy with fewer reps or lighter with more reps? I think I'm doing the latter right now.

What would I need to change in my diet besides eat more when I go for weightlifting instead of fat lose?

My run is starting to get a bit easy, I'm going to get a pair of 15 lbs dumbbells today. Any advise or comments on running with weights in your hand? I really like doing this because it makes the run harder without increasing time or distance. I can also feel it in my shoulders and abs afterwards.

Any other advice appreciated.

Edited by FixingTheWrongs

I took a couple college classes on weight training and conditioning and here's a bit of what I learned there:

To build muscle lift as much weight as you can handle for about three to five sets of three to five reps each.

To lose weight keep what you lift low enough that you can do about three to five sets of twelve to twenty reps each.

Also- weight lifting is a good thing to include in a weight loss program BUT the lifting itself will not really get you losing much weight. Cardio activity is what gets you losing weight. The reason the weight lifting helps is because the more muscle you have the more fat you are going to burn during your cardio.

Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are putting on muscle and not losing weight you are still getting in better shape. This is because you are increasing your density and the muscle is replacing the fat.

Eat your carbs right before your cardio so that you burn it instead of putting it on as fat, and eat something high in protein right AFTER doing your weight lifting as this helps increase how much muscle you build from your workout.

And VERY IMPORTANT- You need to make sure you work your "opposites" when doing your weight lifting. If you work your biceps, work your triceps too. If you work your pecs, work your delts too. People very often focus on the "front" of their body and forget their back, but if you build up too much muscle in the front and don't work those opposites, you will eventually end up hurting yourself. You need to keep it all even.

It also depends on if you want to bulk up, or simply get shape and definition. To bulk up you lift heavy (say 3 sets of 5 - 10 reps). If you just want to get stronger and get defined muscles you would do more like 3-5 sets of 15 - 20 reps.

This varies by person but 1000-1200 calories a day probably isn't enough for you to gain muscle. I personally have to eat about 2800 calories to start putting on weight. Add healthy calories to your diet, add some peanut butter toast to breakfast etc... Drink a glass of milk with it. Throw some olive oil on your salad etc...

Also take everything I say with a grain of salt ^_^

edit: Also your working out ALOT, muscles do take time to repair themselves, the bigger the muscle, the longer it takes to repair, either take a day off between lifting sessions or work alternating groups of muscles on different days. Keep up the aerobics to keep off the fat, cut them down a little bit if you find you are having trouble gaining muscle mass.

Edited by jerome1232

1,000 to 1,200 daily calories is fine if you're a very petite woman. If you want to put on mass/build muscle quickest, you need lots of calories. I'm a 6' tall, about to turn 42 y.o. male and I eat as much as humanly possible. Clean foods up to 3,000 calories or more at a current 10-12% body fat. Lots of lean means, complex carbs, veggies, fruits, etc. Yes, there are specific ratios, etc. Without knowing your physical make up and specific goals it's hard to tell you exactly what you need to do, but definitely low volume work with compound movements work best for piling on the muscle mass. I'm talking about squats, deadlifts, presses, pulls, etc. in the 4x6 or 5x5 range. This will guarantee you put on slabs of clay that you can 'sculpt' later.

Edited by skalenfehl

Guest FixingTheWrongs

Thanks for the posts everyone. I'm interested in what the P90X workouts entail(reading the other post) without paying the $90+ dollars first for DVDs and realizing they are to difficult and wasting the money. Is there a small sample routine available online for free for someone who wants to learn the basics without making a big money commitment?

I guess what I'm trying to do is look noticeably muscular while in a shirt but not look like I'm shooting steriods to do it. Chest and arms mainly, I think my abs are a lost cause. Even if I do get rid of all my fat I think I'll have to much loose skin to make them show.

What is your budget for weights if any? What kind of equipment do you have or have access to? If nothing, then it's entirely conceivable to build chest and arms with body weight work. I know guys who get huge doing floor and bar work, some of the most difficult and mass building exercises (various push ups, pull ups, dips, etc).

Guest FixingTheWrongs

I have two dumbbells right now. They are the kind that I can screw on additional weights. Right now they are at fourty, thats all I can lift to ten and have good form. Just started this weight from 35 this week. I could likely spend $20 to $30 every two or three weeks. I got an ab wheel which I love and a set of 10 and 15 lbs dumbells. Just moved to carrying the 15 pounders during my daily run.

I also am 6'1" and have only 7 to 8 foot ceilings so I couldn't lift weights high when standing. Currently at 246 pounds, down from 310 in three months!

Edited by FixingTheWrongs

That's a decent weight to begin with. Here's a very simple 60 day routine for you. Sounds like you're in good shape already if you're running. This is more of a conditioning program than mass building as you have access to very small weights:

Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays for first week

3 sets push ups to temporary failure (as many reps with good form possible)

3 sets pull ups to temporary failure (get that chin above the bar)

3 sets squats (no weights) to temporary failure (Mondays only)

3 sets kneeling ab wheel roll-outs to temp failure (Mondays only)

Weeks two through four

Mondays

3 sets squats, temp failure

3 sets push up, temp failure

3 sets pull ups temp failure

3 sets kneeling ab wheel roll-outs temp failure

Wednesdays

3x10 dumbbell shoulder presses

3x10 dumbbell curls

3x10 overhead dumbbell triceps extensions

Fridays

Same as Monday

Month two

Mondays, Wednesdays Fridays

3 sets push ups to temporary failure (as many reps with good form possible)

3 sets pull ups to temporary failure (get that chin above the bar)

3 sets squats (no weights) to temporary failure, heels off floor

3 sets kneeling ab wheel roll-outs to temp failure

Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays

3x10 dumbbell shoulder presses

3x10 dumbbell curls

3x10 overhead dumbbell triceps extensions

Notes:

As you're likely new to lifting, your body will respond and adapt well to all this new stimulation, resulting in some hypertrophy. You may likely be very sore at first, so use your judgment on what "temporary failure" is with each subsequent workout to avoid over training and fatigue. There should be improvement each session. If you can do only one pull up, then next session/next week, you should be able to do two. I've used this system with great success adding pull ups (every M, W, and F), but with very low volume (4x6 squats, bench, deadlifts, etc) and heavy weights. Eat three big balanced meals every day consisting of lean meats, complex carbs and lots of veggies and a protein shake before and after your workouts. If no shake, then a big glass of chocolate milk (30 mins before and then another immediately after). Like I said, because you don't have access to substantial equipment, this particular routine will be more of a muscle conditioner. But it will strengthen you substantially.

Keep a written record of each workout and reps completed so that you can track and improve your numbers every session, every week. I've improved 65 lbs alone in squats on August. I plan to improve another 60 lbs by the end of September and so on.

Here's a video I made a while ago. I own several ab wheels including a pair of double wheels that I made. Hope it inspires you:

Edited by skalenfehl

Guest FixingTheWrongs

Thank you skalenfehl going to try and do this once the running season ends. I have more questions but I feel like I'm taking advantage of you, which I shouldn't. Thanks for everything.

Keep in mind this is a guideline. I'm super hard core, so I train like a maniac and am in very good shape. Pace yourself if you feel maximum reps per set is too much. It may not feel like it your first day, but it may well produce more soreness than you care to handle. The body is an amazing machine and will adapt to anything given enough time. You will quickly learn what your limits are. And you will become stronger and faster if you know how to push them.

• 7 months later...
Guest micalhassi

I appreciate your thoughts and views on body building. It is little bit difficult to gain muscles mass. It need 2 to 3 months regularity of work out and eating protein foods. Eat healthy and full of proteins foods items like meat, chicken. fish, beef. Calories that are consumed by eating these foods need to convert into strong and healthy muscles. This can be done by doing regular exercise work out for 30 to 40 mints. Use fruits, vegetables, protein powder, vitamins and minerals are also important.

Guest Omarion
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I've put on a fair bit of muscle since I've started but I'd like to do more once I loose these last few pounds. Am I working out to much? What would you recommend in my case? I'm considering going to the gym in the winter months but I'd really like to stay at home and do things on dumbbells. I have the kind that I can easily add weight to them.

Edited by Omarion
  • 3 months later...

I would suggest using heavy compound lifts to help you gain muscle. deadlifts, squats, standing overhead press, and bench press. Compound lifts force more muscles to be used in a single movement. This will cause a larger spike in your bodies production of human growth hormone which will oxidize your fat cells and help your muscles to grow larger. I would use compound lifts as the main excersize and then use assistance lifts ( bicep curls, tricep extensions etc..) Compound lifts are always superior to isolation movements. I would also suggest compound lifts in a 5x5 format (5 sets 5 reps) and the assistance or isolation movements in a 3x8-12. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also remember that it is hard to lost fat and gain muscle at the same time. This is best and easier to achieve when you are new to working out. Remember in order to gain weight or muscle you need to take in more calories than your body needs. The opposite is true for fat.

• 2 months later...
Guest Edwardcullen
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

A good healthy nutritious food is necessary to build your muscles. Taking less proteins food does not help in gaining muscles. You should take good food and exercise well to gain more muscles. You must also take into consideration that the amount of calories that you intake should be much lesser than the calories that you burn. So eat healthy food and burn the calories according to it.

Edited by Edwardcullen
  • 4 weeks later...

Building muscle is not a very difficult task. With regular gym workout and high calories food diet we can build our muscles. Protein is best for building muscles. It is good to drink protein shake daily for building muscles. Anyway all posts are good and i am very impressed with with all these posts.

Guest Ezekiel22
Hidden

I exercise in little durations though out the day. When I get up I do a fast 15min body weight period of a few places of waves, neck increases and weight chest area press. Throughout the day I'll do 6 to 10 places of 20 push ups as easily as possible. Twice per weeks time, I'm in a developing that has a little training and I raise during my lunchtime when I'm there.

• 2 months later...
Guest AllieEvans
Hidden

Muscle building in few months is depends on your body type. Some it is very easy with the help of exercise and some time you have to consult with dietitian. You can use some fat loss supplement that will help you to burn your body's fat give you a well-toned muscle. You will find all you problem queries please visit here: dermacut reviews

• 9 months later...
Guest claicunny
Hidden

Being nice from the business, obviously, allows. With no need of this putting together any networking will never be conceivable. When you know, contacts on the venture are its robust position. Frequent problem, specifically newbie traders could be to put together "light" union. Therefore some time to barter new contracts determined emotion and sympathy with the shopper choose precedence in excess of obtaining internet business pursuits. Is this state of affairs will help or hurts firm? And how is born this type loving relationship? Salon, sypialnia, pokój dziecięcy - Jaką tkaninę dobrać do zasłon The way to make the worker understand that awareness and handed it obviously. Tips on how to get tacit practical knowledge and ensure it is accessible to other workforce? The best way to make personnel utilised their own tacit awareness and sharing it? Tips on how to extract and conserve the tacit awareness? Easy methods to motivate staff to share know-how? How you can provide out when the personnel referred to as her "intuition" and it can not clearly verbalize?

End of the world even more realistic, but when it comes to the person, it might become a assembly along with the maras, or gangsters. It's always they who rule the dusk. In Guatemala, in place of stating "do not go there", states: "There are maras". They stripped Guatemalans sense of stability, and also any desire in tattoos, simply because they get noticed with the group of gangsters. - If an employer sees on your human body, the most innocent tattoo, tend not to receive the job. I never believe which you usually do not belong to any gang - clarifies Saul, an engineer from sugar cane plantations. - A year in the past, maras arrived to my road and demanded profit. However the upcoming time they appeared to make sure you tribute, we have been capable to arm on their own and przestrzeliliœmy their ***. Guatemalans will not go like sheep on the slaughter!

zestawy firanowe rolety rzymskie firany spagetti Still really popular blunder that without doubt crosses a applicant on the eyes in the recruiter is to always put on your resume unprofessional email tackle eg [email protected].

In this particular predicament the one method seems to vary the existing pricing coverage problem by selling price raises, so that they can protect the previously affordable margins. The implementation of amount boosts is often very hard to carry out the procedure of hurt coming to your resistance from consumers, but this can be among the many couple of viable routes resulting in heightened income with the service provider. No motion in this particular spot can only result while in the company's personal deterioration and decline of markets position.

It isn't really that I am reluctant to die. I just never want to be close to when it transpires.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Turaassoste
Hidden

A Mont Blanc fountain pen is often accepted as an extension of one's Mont Blanc Outlet charm and so, is regarded as an exceedingly individual solution. The quality of the pen is of utmost importance, it is primarily because of this that for most Mont Blanc fountain pen owners. The quality of a Mont Blanc fountain pen is placed not just within its nib and ways in which smoothly it contributes articles in writing but as well as relies upon the proper grip inside the pen, its overall size and, the grade of content included in development the exteriors this pen. The level of a Mont Blanc fountain pen is usually reflective of that expense. While many jog away from the mill baseball time pens are less costly which enables it to be thrown away, a Mont Blanc fountain pen inspite of not extremely expensive are some things that many some individuals want to treasure. The price of a quality Mont Blanc fountain pen is dependent tremendously on the caliber of the nib. And is quite smooth to write, prices tend to be higher, if the nib is made of gold or any other precious mineral. Then the other meaningful highlights that decide the grade of a Mont Blanc fountain pen are its ink and size functionality. Most consumers prefer pens of common different sizes that quite simply match their wallets but you can get others who would prefer to actually own pens of exceptional designs, shapes and sizes. Whenever desire for the specifications differs from man or women to single, volume of ink cartridge that usually can be stashed is on the distinct total which helps to maintain standardization. Pens with plunger fillers or capsules are thought of as of high quality simply because they have an overabundance of printer ink retaining ability. Charges for craftsmanship Cheap Mont Blanc Pens range between some amount of money to all around $300 or even more.