Book Of Mormon

Guest phsfreshmanloser@hotmail.com

i want to hear everyones opinion on why we need it

We need it to testify of Christ. I wish I had a better answer, but the rest is just feelings that I cannot describe. I know for a certainty of it's truth and I know that without it, there'd be even more confusion than there already is.

It is an important step in our understanding of the gospel. The bible has had many important things removed from it. The Book of Mormon includes many of those things that were taken from the bible. But notice that the Book of Mormon, in many places, says something like: "And he spake many other things unto me that are forbidden to be written." And why were they forbidden to be written? This verse from the D&C should answer the question:

D&C 19: 21-22:

And I command you that you preach naught but repentance, and show not these things unto the world until it is wisdom in me. For they cannot bear meat now, but milk they must receive; wherefore they must not know these things, lest they perish.

Now, notice in the book of Ether, it says that the name of the brother of Jared was so holy that it was forbidden to be written.

When Elder Reynolds Cahoon had a new born baby, Joseph Smith came over to bless the child and christen him with a name. The name he gave the child was 'Mahonri Moriancumer'. He then told Elder Cahoon that this was the name of the brother of Jared.

So, it is reasonable to believe that many of the things in the Doctrine and Covenants and The Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith are some of the things that were forbidden to be written in the Book of Mormon.

For example, imagine the trouble and uprising that would have resulted had Joseph Smith came out on April 6th of 1830 and said "God was once a man and we can become Gods." He likely would have been crucified. But he fed the people milk first, and when their understanding had reached a high enough level, he then gave them the next higher step in doctrine.

• 2 weeks later...

i agree with that...a second witness to christ is a good reason but i also think it is because it was written for us the bible was not. although it has many good lessons in it. but the book of mormon was mad for are time and generations to help lead us and guide us through life to help us gain a better knowledge of christ and the people here in the americas. but i think the greatest purpose is to help us grow closer to are heavenly father

...The bible has had many important things removed from it. The Book of Mormon includes many of those things that were taken from the bible.

LionHeart, Could you list some of those things that were removed from the Bible but included in the BofM? Thanks!

M.

That is a good question Maureen. :) I'm interested in hearing what those might be.

Dr. T

Hes mistaken. The Bible was changed, edited, and had things removed over time, but the Book of Mormon still doesn't include those things. They are lost. The Book of Mormon was indeed made for our day though. Very important for our day i might add. It is also more accurate, not having been edited because most religions completely deny the entire thing as it is.

Thanks Nephi5,

Who told you that there have been changes and lost info? Have you heard of the comparisons of documents that are in human possession and found any major things left out? Just wondering if you've looked into this (using document experts testimony)?

Thank,

Dr. T

On the contrary Nephi5, the Book of Mormon does include some of them.

Maureen and Dr T., I apologize for the delayed response, It took me a while to realize that I was in the spotlight on this thread.

In answer to the question, I will first point out that the belief that many things were taken from the bible is an LDS belief. I cannot produce solid evidence of all of it, but can only provide circumstantial evidence of some of it, and go by what I was taught to believe for the rest. But just to name a few, we have:

Baptizm by immersion.

The laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Consecration and United order.

Proper priesthood authority.

Saving ordinances.

Functions of various priesthood offices.

The ones off of this list that are included in the Book of Mormon are baptizm by immersion, the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost, and Consecration and United Order.

And then there are things in the bible that seem to be riddles, for example read this passage in Isaiah:

19 Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect,

and blind as the LORD’s servant?

20 Seeing many things, but thou observest not; opening the ears, but he heareth not.

21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness’ sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

22 But this is a apeople robbed and spoiled; they are all of them snared in holes, and they are hid in prison houses: they are for a prey, and none delivereth; for a spoil, and none saith, Restore.

23 Who among you will give ear to this? who will hearken and hear for the time to come?

So the Lord is pleased with his blind and deaf servant? The one who opens his ears but doesn't hear; or sees many things but just doesn't get it?

Now read the Joseph Smith translation of the same passage.

Isaiah 42:19-23; Joseph Smith translation:

19 For I will send my servant unto you who are blind; yea, a messenger to open the eyes of the blind, and unstop the ears of the deaf;

20 And they shall be made perfect notwithstanding their blindness, if they will hearken unto the messenger, the Lord's servant.

21 Thou art a people, seeing many things, but thou observest not, opening the ears to hear, but thou hearest not.

22 The Lord is not well pleased with such a people, but for his righteousness' sake he will magnify the law and make it honorable.

23 Thou art a people robbed and spoiled; thy enemies, all of them, have snared thee in holes, and they have hid thee in prison houses; they have taken thee for a prey, and none delivereth; for a spoil, and none saith, restore.

The latter makes alot more sense.

And now concerning the 'Consecration and United Order', if one reads in the book of acts chapter 4: 32-37, and chapter 5:1-10, you will find evidence that Peter had set up a system among the ancient church which is known to the LDS as "Consecration and United Order". The Book of Mormon goes into more detail about how this is practiced , whereas the new testament barely touches it at all. There were also a few attempts at this practice in the early days of the LDS Church.

Among these things is the fact that before the bible became the official canon of Christianity, the churches in all different areas were getting different doctrine; depending on the beliefs of the man in charge of the church of that area. Emperor Constantine of Rome decided that they needed to be unified so he called a meeting of the clergy men to get together and decide on an official canon. (keep in mind, Emperor Constantine was not baptized into the church until he was lying on his death bed) Now one issue these clergy men faced was their belief in Mary's perpetual virginity, however, the bible clearly states that Jesus had brothers. Their solution to this problem came when a man suggested that perhaps Joseph was a widower and had sons from his deceased wife. Rather than researching it, these men heard what they wanted to hear and accepted it as truth. And these are the men who compiled the official canon. Given their character, it is concieveable that these men would extract things from the bible which they did not agree with.