Touchpad, Xoom or Galaxy Tab?

Bini

OK so I'm still running around in circles undecided on a tablet.. Pushing the iPad2 aside, if you have a Touchpad, Xoom or Galaxy Tab, what are your likes/dislikes of the device? Overall, would you recommend it? I'm mostly just looking for something to blog online with and web browse while on-the-go. Oh and a crisp and vivid screen resolution doesn't hurt either.

Thanks.

OK so I'm still running around in circles undecided on a tablet.. Pushing the iPad2 aside, if you have a Touchpad, Xoom or Galaxy Tab, what are your likes/dislikes of the device? Overall, would you recommend it? I'm mostly just looking for something to blog online with and web browse while on-the-go. Oh and a crisp and vivid screen resolution doesn't hurt either.

Thanks.

I'd suggest the galaxy, it seems to have good bang for the buck.

I did some more reading up after posting and it appears that the Touchpad flopped! Too bad because I remember playing around on it at BestBuy and thinking it was a nice alternative to the iPad2. But I read promising reviews on the Xoom and Galaxy Tab. Most of the reviews said that spec-wise, there isn't a huge difference between the two. There were just a couple things the Galaxy Tab seemed to outshine the Xoom on. The first being, size. The Galaxy Tab is significantly smaller than the Xoom. And second, the screen resolution is sharper than the Xoom. I haven't looked at or compared prices yet but I've also heard from various blogs and reviews that the Galaxy Tab gives you the best bang for your buck. So at this point, I'm partially swayed towards the Galaxy Tab.

miztrniceguy, I have come across a few references on the Asus pad. I haven't heard many people talk about this device, so I hadn't really looked into it. Thanks for the link.

Uhm, I can't push the iPad 2 aside... I tried. I failed.

We have iPhones and iPods, so I'm not opposed to Apple products but I'm just not convinced that the iPad2 is what I want. I've messed around on it and I'm not feeling any real excitement over it. Probably because it's basically just an oversized iPhone.. I'm also bummed about it not having Flash. Maybe there's a way to enable Flash on Apple products but I'm not techy so I wouldn't know or know how to.

My husband and I just recently purchased the Galaxy tab (10.1). We love it. Not only was it more affordable than the Ipad 2 (we compared them side by side and there really isn't much of a difference), the options and features are limitless. My husband, who needs to keep up technology-wise due to his job, finds it very useful and helpful. And I have fun with all the apps, games, news stories, etc.

We always shop around and do research before we make any big purchase and chose the Galaxy because we found it to have the best features. At Gamestop (not sure if the deal is still on), you get 6 free games when you buy it. Pretty neat deal.

OK so the iPad2, Touchpad and Xoom are out! I've pretty much decided on that.

I have an Asus Transformer which is awesome. I would recommend the new one, The Asus Transformer Prime which has a quad-core Tegra 3 Processor.

It's a toss up between the Galaxy Tab and the Asus Pad at this point. But I'm really liking the affordable price tag on the Asus versus the Galaxy Tab. There's about a $100 difference for the model that I'm interested in. The reviews compare both tablets as being similar spec-wise, although apparently the screen resolution is better on the Galaxy but that opinion varies.

Thanks again.

I second the Asus Transformer. I have one and love it. I hardly get on my computer much anymore. (and thus not come to lds.net as often).

I would also recommend the new Asus Transformer Prime, with the Quad core. (I have the older version with only two cores). But this Quad core is actually pretty interesting. When you are in stand-by mode it only uses a low power core. When its on and needs it, it can use all 4 cores. (So really it has 5 cores if that means anything).

I'm mostly just looking for something to blog online with and web browse while on-the-go.

I still haven't gotten to the point that typing is that easy on a tablet. You do have to get use to it.

One thing that is nice with the Asus Transformer (and why it got the name Transformer) is because you can buy a Keyboard Dock.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Transformer-TF101-Mobile-Docking/dp/B004U78628

I never bought my tablet for typing so I didn't really care much about it. I did see this keyboard be just under $100 on black friday, but I didn't pick it up.

Not only does it give you like another 5-6 hours of battery life, but a full keyboard and a full SD card slot.

And even like me, you can buy the tablet now, and buy the keyboard later.

Asus is also really big on getting out updates. Next to Motorola (xoom) they are probably the next quickest.

I would like to trade up for the Prime. I love my Transformer. Just recently scored a good deal 0n a 32 gb microSD card too, so storage isn't an issue. Asus has been on the cutting edge of technology for a long time. My Transformer follows me around the house. I took it with me to the doctors office yesterday and played Angry Birds until they called my name.

After searching link after link (all of which the sites were no longer taking pre-orders), I finally found that Expansys and Frys are selling the Transformer Prime. But the shipping-out dates are a disappointment, at least, for those wanting to receive their item before Christmas. I'm understanding that the earliest public will be able to get their hands on one of these is mid to late January now.. Bummer! Which must mean that retail stores won't get them for awhile longer? I went into BestBuy yesterday and had them do a stock search for the Prime, and was told that there currently is no date on when they'll receive it in store.

Anyway, the Transformer Prime is a beast from what I'm reading. Faster than the iPad2 and has a camera/screen resolution that rivals the top tablets on the market. I'm really excited about it having a quad-core too, which makes it the first tablet of its kind. Sadly, I'm considering in purchasing a Galaxy Tab 8.9 meanwhile, just to keep me occuppied until I can get my hands on the Prime.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, drool drool. but instead of the Galaxy you might consider the current Transformer and Best Buys upgrade program.

I decided to wait it out for my pre-order, which is estimated to ship sometime in late January to early February.