Preparing for a mission

daboosh

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest that on top of all the excellent suggestions that have been made so far - here are some things that seem to get over looked :) To be able to serve effectively you need to be able to look after yourself - to be able cook a few simple meals, do laundry with and with out a washing machine, and do basic repairs to your clothing. And if you have never been away from home without your parents I suggest spending a few nights with friends etc.

And while these things might seem obvious - as stake missionary back in the days when they existed I worked with missionaries who didn't know how to cook before they left for their missions and I have heard stories from missionaries about companions who could just about master the pot noodle. And I have seen many missionaries come to my mother for help with things like sewing buttons on and repair burst seems. And the missionary who baptised my sister ended up leaving the mission field as he was unable to cope with being away from home - every youth conference or young mens camp - either his dad has been there as a leader or his mum had been there as the cook so he had never spent a night away from his parents - as a result he struggled to cope when he was in the mission field.