Definition of 'Angel'?

Bini

Has any cherub in scripture ever been specifically identified to a known individual? I submit that in the same scripture where a "covering" cherub is specifically identified that the individual is also identified as "anointed" - which in Hebrew is translated into English as "Messiah" or “Christ” from the Greek.

Are you saying that the king of Tyre is Jesus?

And - BTW while we are on "Very elementary stuff" -- "the cherubs"? is not cherub singular and the plural cherubim -- what is "cherubs"?

See Vort's reply.

Are you saying that the king of Tyre is Jesus?

Are you saying the king of Tyre was in Eden?

See Vort's reply.

Are you talking about modern transliteration of a Hebrew term?

I have been centered on ancient Hebrew - not what has evolved over the past 2,000 years.

The Traveler

JAG, why would you think they would not keep their bodies? I thought resurrection was a free gift for all who have gained a body? And doesn't resurrection establish that the spirit and body will never be separated?

As Dravin says, I'd agree that even sons of perdition are resurrected. But the scriptures do occasionally use the word "destruction" for sons of perdition, and it seems to me that one could make a case that that destruction may apply to the resurrected body as well. I've even heard some people even argue that sons of perdition are blasted back into intelligence.

I just try to keep an open mind on the issue.

we dont have anything that says what happens to an individual once they reach outer darkness beyond the "gnashing of teeth" and etc.. forever.

Agreed.

However we are taught that once a spirit is reunited with a resurrected body that it won't ever be undone.

"We are taught" that, yes; and I would grant that the idea may even surface in some correlated materials. But I wonder what authoritative statements exist regarding that concept as it applies particularly to sons of perdition?

As for having power over those who did not keep the first estate, is in the D&C somewhere. i'm trying to find it.

I thought so to, but the quote I was thinking of turned out to be from Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith at 181:

“We came to this earth that we might have a body and present it pure before God in the celestial kingdom. The great principle of happiness consists in having a body. The devil has no body, and herein is his punishment. He is pleased when he can obtain the tabernacle of man. . . . All beings who have bodies have power over those who have not.”