Dating a Non-Member

Since we're all making an effort to misinterpret Vort (let the games begin)

I'm married (sealed, even), and there's no way I would want to spend all time and eternity with my spouse. I don't care how perfect she or I become. There are times I just want to go be with other people or by myself. The thought of spending all time and eternity with someone almost makes me want to cry.

But, the thought of spending most of time and eternity with my spouse does make me feel good.

I was responding directly to Anatess' questions: "Is this the man you want to marry and spend ALL OF TIME AND ETERNITY with... no matter what? Can you accept him for all that he is - good AND bad. Can you love him without condition?" My point was that I don't think these criteria hold up to scrutiny. They are not knowable. Moreover, if they are accepted at face value, they lead to an impossible conclusion: You, in your state as an imperfect being, want to bind yourself for all eternity to another imperfect being and stay with him or her, no matter what.

My point -- and I confess, I thought it was so obvious that no one would contradict it -- was that we work to become such a person. No one is there yet. If we state as a precondition of marriage (or dating) that a person must reach that standard to qualify, we will literally never marry (or date), because such a person does not exist in this sphere.

Well, there you go Vort. You misunderstood my statement - er, questions - but you went ahead and explained it perfectly anyway.

Is this the man you want to marry and spend all of time and eternity with... no matter what?

That is knowable. The answer to that question lies solely on our own decision to accept and deal with imperfection... whatever it may be. The precondition to marriage is NOT that a person has reached that standard of perfection. The precondition to marriage is that you accept that he may not reach that standard but it's okay, you can live with that.

What causes love to die is not that one fails. What causes it to die is that you expected him not to and you can't live with the fact that he did. I love my husband like this. If he ever turns into a serial killer I will love him still. I and our children won't be able to live with him for our protection but he is it for me. That love is forever and there won't be another. Yes, love is not just a feeling. It is more a decision. And that decision is what drives me to be the best that I can be for my husband.

What does it mean "to really BE Sheldon!"?

If you have ever watched The Big Bang Theory, I think you will understand what he is trying to say. I must admit... the comparison does seem at least somewhat fitting. You are both very precise and exact in your efforts to communicate, which you would think would be productive. However, you both also have a tendancy to be misunderstood despite your precision.

We are also spending ALOT of time together, like from the time we both get up to the time we both go to bed.

Here's your problem. When you're in a relationship with someone, you still have to keep your own identity. Your own friends, hobbies, etc. Try to find something to do on your own every once in awhile.

If you have ever watched The Big Bang Theory, I think you will understand what he is trying to say. I must admit... the comparison does seem at least somewhat fitting. You are both very precise and exact in your efforts to communicate, which you would think would be productive. However, you both also have a tendancy to be misunderstood despite your precision.

All I gotta say is that even though I don't know you I can already tell that I like you :).

Wikipedia has a pretty good description of Sheldon too: "Sheldon is a Caltech theoretical physicist... [who] exhibits a strict adherence to routine, a total lack of social skills, a tenuous understanding of irony, sarcasm, and humor, and a general lack of humility or empathy. He is vocal about his own superior intellect compared to those around him."

I had a roommate like that years ago and quirkiness was a large part of what made him so much fun to hang out with.

Edited by guast