Trip to SLC ... the best.

Hala401

I was excited, nervous and a little sad to be going to SLC alone in my little Corolla with 144,000 miles on it. Much to my surprise, and thankfulness, this trip was one of the best in my entire life.

It was almost snowing in Portland when I left in the afternoon of the 22nd, but the Gorge was bare, and I decided that after Pendleton if I had to put chains on the car, I would somehow muddle through, even bringing a huge paint splotched pair of coveralls for the purpose. The man at Les Schwab had even showed me how to put them on! :)

I had a "Sisters of Light" CD in the player, and the trip was so placid and peaceful. I'd made my mind up that the speed limit was good enough for me and really felt that since Heavenly Father had extended unfathomable mercy to me, that I needed to be as good as I could.

I am so amazed that the trip was so very peaceful! There were a couple anxious moments when I went over the pass from and to Huntsville, to I-84. It got really snowy but my little car did not slip.

The people I met were more hospitable than I had any right to expect. I'm afraid that infatuatuated with being a member now, so I hope that what I say is not too soppy.

Four of the sisters who first taught me, attended Church at BYU singles ward.

Amazingly, many people tell me that our conversations have provided great encouragement to them, and it is difficult to comprehend why they would say that. Can it be that unusual to encounter a deleriously happy blushing brand new barely dry new member?

You'd have to know about the years of physical and emotional abuse, and of being treated as less than human by people of faith. Other members keep warning me about encountering bridge troll members who will be very unkind, but so far none have surfaced to draw blood.

I photographed the brand new temple in Brigham, Utah, the temple in Twin Falls, Idaho, and several Ward buildings in Rupert, La Grande, Pendleton, and other places I can't remember.

Later today, I think I will donate all of my Muslim clothing at a local Muslim charity. For some reason dragging them around with me must have been a sort of "security blanket", that I shall have no further need for.

Thank you Heavenly Father for guiding my way.

Hala (Gwen Boucher)

It was frightfully stormy the morning I left Huntsville, after spending the night with friends, and when I got to SLC, the sun was shining, but when I came out of the South Visitor's center, it was snowing, so I ducked into the Tabernacle to listen to an Organ Solo, and sunny again when I went to the North Visitor's center, with its Temple display, and awesome dommy thing over a statue of Jesus Christ.

It is so much fun to meet new people and along the way I encountered lots of fun people. One woman at the church history building looked so sad, so sitting down to talk to her was fun as I tried my best to be encouraging, and um sweet.

I do not know if I will ever get to Utah again ... I mean it would be lovely but perhaps it will be my only chance. Who knows? I have fallen for the place.

It was frightfully stormy the morning I left Huntsville, after spending the night with friends, and when I got to SLC, the sun was shining, but when I came out of the South Visitor's center, it was snowing, so I ducked into the Tabernacle to listen to an Organ Solo, and sunny again when I went to the North Visitor's center, with its Temple display, and awesome dommy thing over a statue of Jesus Christ.

It is so much fun to meet new people and along the way I encountered lots of fun people. One woman at the church history building looked so sad, so sitting down to talk to her was fun as I tried my best to be encouraging, and um sweet.

I do not know if I will ever get to Utah again ... I mean it would be lovely but perhaps it will be my only chance. Who knows? I have fallen for the place.

I'm so glad you had a good trip, and have experienced the awesome ever-changing weather of Utah! I myself am an Arizona boy, and have loved that last 17 years that I and my family have spent here in the Salt Lake Valley.

Hope you can come to the Conference Center tonight to hear the Tabernacle Choir practice. It's very fun to see. And I'll be posting, later this afternoon, the Choir's music for the three sessions of Conference that we sing in.

Enjoy your stay! And let me know if you'd like to chat in person sometime while you're here.

HiJolly

I was excited, nervous and a little sad to be going to SLC alone in my little Corolla with 144,000 miles on it. Much to my surprise, and thankfulness, this trip was one of the best in my entire life.

It was almost snowing in Portland when I left in the afternoon of the 22nd, but the Gorge was bare, and I decided that after Pendleton if I had to put chains on the car, I would somehow muddle through, even bringing a huge paint splotched pair of coveralls for the purpose. The man at Les Schwab had even showed me how to put them on! :)

I had a "Sisters of Light" CD in the player, and the trip was so placid and peaceful. I'd made my mind up that the speed limit was good enough for me and really felt that since Heavenly Father had extended unfathomable mercy to me, that I needed to be as good as I could.

I am so amazed that the trip was so very peaceful! There were a couple anxious moments when I went over the pass from and to Huntsville, to I-84. It got really snowy but my little car did not slip.

The people I met were more hospitable than I had any right to expect. I'm afraid that infatuatuated with being a member now, so I hope that what I say is not too soppy.

Four of the sisters who first taught me, attended Church at BYU singles ward.

Amazingly, many people tell me that our conversations have provided great encouragement to them, and it is difficult to comprehend why they would say that. Can it be that unusual to encounter a deleriously happy blushing brand new barely dry new member?

You'd have to know about the years of physical and emotional abuse, and of being treated as less than human by people of faith. Other members keep warning me about encountering bridge troll members who will be very unkind, but so far none have surfaced to draw blood.

I photographed the brand new temple in Brigham, Utah, the temple in Twin Falls, Idaho, and several Ward buildings in Rupert, La Grande, Pendleton, and other places I can't remember.

Later today, I think I will donate all of my Muslim clothing at a local Muslim charity. For some reason dragging them around with me must have been a sort of "security blanket", that I shall have no further need for.

Thank you Heavenly Father for guiding my way.

Hala (Gwen Boucher)

Huntsville Utah? You were 10 miles from my house! :D

If it is Huntsville Utah.... Did you see where President McKay was born?

I'm so glad you had a good trip, and have experienced the awesome ever-changing weather of Utah! I myself am an Arizona boy, and have loved that last 17 years that I and my family have spent here in the Salt Lake Valley.

Hope you can come to the Conference Center tonight to hear the Tabernacle Choir practice. It's very fun to see. And I'll be posting, later this afternoon, the Choir's music for the three sessions of Conference that we sing in.

Enjoy your stay! And let me know if you'd like to chat in person sometime while you're here.

HiJolly

I am sorry, but I am back in Oregon. Perhaps another time?

I actually liked most of the drive except there is a really frightening place right by Bonneville Dam, on the Columbia River. The wind was blowing, it was raining hard, there was a rock slide, and people were driving too fast. By then I was getting more depressed as I went along because I had to return to Oregon.

I know I am supposed to be positive, sorry. I have lived around Portland most of my life and all the rain just gets to me this time of the year. In looking at the forcast, rain with no sun is predicted for the next 7 days!

Driving 75 was OK, though I would like to drive about 60, but it is wise to keep with the traffic flow. The Drivers of Salt Lake/Provo were supposed to be really discourteous, but only one woman yelled at me, honest. :)

It coulda been. I was driving up University Ave, and failed to get in the left turn lane quick enough, so I just turned on my signal to squeeze over. Of course that delayed the woman in back of me and I felt sorry I had caused the problem.

In reflection, 20 years ago, that frustrated woman could have easily have been me. Now days, I see people driving wildly, pounding on the steering wheel, having to get ahead, and all sorts of erratic behavior that relates to the presures they feel. Poor souls.

I am divorced, live alone, and don't have financial presures if the lust for world goods does not overcome my good sense. And, it is not HIS social security check, its mine. I worked a long time, and made good money.

My Bishop asked me if I was willing to marry again, and I was profoundly shocked! I did not know it was legal to marry an old trout like me! As if there is someone who would!