Ward Unity?

Dravin

This is sparked from a question asked by someone on another board. Denizens of that other board may recognize it, but here it goes:

What is ward unity? What does it entail? We are commanded to be one, to have unity, but what exactly does it mean for a ward to be one/have unity? Is it not back-biting or gossiping, sustaining the leadership, being willing to provide serve regardless of the recipient? Is there more to it? If so what?

This is a great topic for me to watch right now. My ward boundaries are changing tomorrow morning, and one ward in my stake is being dissolved altogether. A lot of people have a hard time with things like that, and it takes awhile to bring unity back in while hearts heal and people get to know each other again.

This is sparked from a question asked by someone on another board. Denizens of that other board may recognize it, but here it goes:

What is ward unity? What does it entail? We are commanded to be one, to have unity, but what exactly does it mean for a ward to be one/have unity? Is it not back-biting or gossiping, sustaining the leadership, being willing to provide serve regardless of the recipient? Is there more to it? If so what?

Paul in Ephesians discusses unity. In so doing I believe he explains the pinnacle of the matter. He says:

And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: (Eph 4:11-15)

In this scripture Paul points out that we need prophets and apostles and other leaders to help us all come, in unity, to the measure of the stature of Christ. I feel the Joseph Smith translation makes this phrase slightly more clear. He says, "Till we, in the unity of the faith, all come to the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;" Thus the goal is not unity. Rather the goal is Christ. To approach the Man. To all come together to him. Paul says, "grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ."

One of my favorite non-LDS addresses was given by Henry Drummond and is entitled, "The Changed Life". In it he says:

Thousands of persons go to church every Sunday hoping to solve this mystery [improving and sanctifying themselves]. ...At meetings, at conferences, many a time they have reached what they thought was the very brink of it, but somehow no further revelation came. Poring over religious books, how often were they now within a paragraph of it: the next page, the next sentence, would discover all, and they would be borne on a flowing tide forever. But nothing happened. ...Why did it elude them? Because there was no "it." When shall we learn that the pursuit of holiness is simply the pursuit of Christ? When shall we substitute for the "it" of a fictitious aspiration, the approach to a Living Friend?

This then is my answer to unity. Stop focusing on the pieces (gossip, service, friendship, etc.). These are simply a part. Instead focus on Christ, approach him as we would a living friend. When we begin to approach Him we begin to find unity. When we focus on the pieces we find we can make little headway.

Stop focusing on the pieces (gossip, service, friendship, etc.). These are simply a part. Instead focus on Christ, approach him as we would a living friend. When we begin to approach Him we begin to find unity.

Are trying to say "Ward unity is following Christ?", is that you answer?

Edited by Dravin

This is a great topic for me to watch right now. My ward boundaries are changing tomorrow morning, and one ward in my stake is being dissolved altogether. A lot of people have a hard time with things like that, and it takes awhile to bring unity back in while hearts heal and people get to know each other again.

Your post here kind of brings out some of the underlying implications put into ward unity that make me wonder about just what the term entails. Not in just a strictly 'doctrinal' sense, but as it pertains to how the phrase is actually used. Even my sample laundry list shouldn't change just because the ward boundaries shifted. People seem, and this is my own perspective, to attach a sense of community as part of unity, and a community built upon more than simply being in and serving in the same ward together.

Edited by Dravin

Ward unity is being able to help our ward brothers and sisters out. The fact that my wife might have to go to hospital and I can count on somebody being willing to watch my children shows unity. The fact that my partner doesn't go home teaching, but I can always get a brother to go with me shows unity. The fact that when I left church and came back everybody in the ward welcomed me back with open arms shows ward unity. The fact that me and my wife are the only ones around our age and we still feel like we belong shows ward unity. The moment we lose sight of the one, the weakest link, is when ward unity starts to collapse. One will turn into two and so on. I know it is cliche, but a ward is only as strong as its weakest member.

I also think if all members are trying to serve Christ to the best of their ability it creates ward unity. If we all serve Christ the stuff I listed above all falls into place.

Edited by Tyler90AZ

Are trying to say "Ward unity is following Christ?", is that you answer?

That's my answer too!

Ward unity is being single in purpose for the glory of God. Everyone working towards the same goal.

James12, in my opinion, is completely spot on. When Christ is at the forefront of every person's membership in the ward, you will find that the ward can become much stronger than human frailty. Gossiping, back-biting, taking offenses, forming cliques that shun others, pride... those are human frailty. With Christ as the single purpose that binds the ward together, those weaknesses can be forgiven and overcome.

So, yes, it would be a big help for the ward leadership to keep the focus - not so much in the little bitty details of ward activities - although they are important - but to the great purpose of what the ward is all about.... and that's to be the Church of Jesus Christ.

Your post here kind of brings out some of the underlying implications put into ward unity that make me wonder about just what the term entails. Not in just a strictly 'doctrinal' sense, but as it pertains to how the phrase is actually used. Even my sample laundry list shouldn't change just because the ward boundaries shifted. People seem, and this is my own perspective, to attach a sense of community as part of unity, and a community built upon more than simply being in and serving in the same ward together.

Is having that sense of community not a huge part of being unified?

Is having that sense of community not a huge part of being unified?

Outside of the sense of community fostered by being in and serving in the same ward? I'm not inclined to think so, but maybe we have different ideas of what this 'larger' sense of community entails?

Edited by Dravin