Mission Call/Endowment

Hello everyone! I'm a convert to the church of roughly 2 1/2 years, and I am the only member in my family. The gospel has been a huge blessing in my life, and have no idea where I would be without it.

I will be leaving on a mission this fall, and I have not told my family yet. I really don't know the best way to approach it, but I know I need to soon. Any thoughts? I have a general idea of concerns that will be brought up, and I have had many answered prayers thus far, but I just feel a bit confused on this one. Any converts out there have a similar experience in telling their families?

Second, when you go through the temple, I understand we make a commitment to wear the temple garment all the time. I can do that, and I'm even excited about it. However, I'm a bit nervous about the protocol of it. Do they explain what is/isn't okay regarding the garment? I understand don't seek opportunities to remove it, etc. I am currently living with my aunt roughly an hour from home because I am working in the town she lives. She is okay with the church, but has heard a few things that are rather speculatory (thanks to Ancient Aliens and shows like that), so should I wash my garments there and risk forgetting them in the dryer and she coming across them or should I go wash them elsewhere?

Finally, what is the most comfortable fabric for your garments? At the distribution centers, do they have samples for you try on?

Thanks for the help!

Hello everyone! I'm a convert to the church of roughly 2 1/2 years, and I am the only member in my family. The gospel has been a huge blessing in my life, and have no idea where I would be without it.

I will be leaving on a mission this fall, and I have not told my family yet. I really don't know the best way to approach it, but I know I need to soon. Any thoughts?

My story is not too much different... I was baptized when I was 17, and went on a mission when I was 19, and I'm the only member of the Church in my family.

When I told my parents, they were not happy about it, and tried pretty hard to pressure me into staying, or at least waiting until I had finished college. But, I was excited to go, I wanted to go, and I knew that I should go. At first, I kept trying to reason with them, and tell them all of the reasons why going at 19 was right. That never did get anywhere (we're all awfully stubborn and bull-headed in my family....), so finally I just said "Mom, Dad... I'm not asking you if I can go. I'm telling you that I am going. I realize that you want me to do things differently, but I'm going."

That at least got them to stop trying to get me to stay. And hey, I even got a little support... when my parents dropped me off at the MTC, the Spirit really seemed to touch them, and my father hugged me and said "You've chosen what you want to do, so follow through."

That may not sound like much... but as far as I can remember, that's the most positive, supportive thing that my father has ever said to me.

Garments... start with cotton-poly. It's probably the most like wearing regular undershirts and underwear. Then try one of each of the different fabrics. They're quite inexpensive, so a full set in each of the fabrics might run $15 or so total.

Yes, when you go through for your own endowment, someone (one of the temple presidency, as I recall) will have a talk with you (and any others going through for the first time that day) about the garments, proper care, use, etc.. Your ward probably also has temple prep classes as well, that used to be mandatory, but that may have changed.

Edited by ClickyClack

Congratulations on choosing to go on a mission :) I returned from mine in january 2012, and it has without a doubt been the two most important years for my life so far. You will not regret it.

About Telling Your Family

If you know what the general concerns are, go ahead and write them worded as questions for you, and answer them beforehand. When you talk about going on a mission, explain it in a way that they will understand. Don't word it so much to be about titles as about activities and their purpose - serving the Lord by inviting others come to Jesus Christ. Doing service for others. Learning more about your own religion and yourself. Gaining experience, maturing, growing up.

It's really an elaborate and exciting way of volunteering that anyone can understand, even those whose theology may differ and disagree with yours :)

About Garments

Before going to the temple you will often take the temple preparation classes at church. When you actually get to the temple to receive your endowment for the first time, someone in the temple presidency will talk to you and give you some nice basic instructions on garments.

The distribution centers typically have sample fabrics that you can see and feel. Silhouettes are drawn on the packaging to give you an idea of what they are like, as well as size, fabric and how big the neck line will be.

(My personal preference is nylon mesh only. It is nice and airy.)

Concerning washing the garments, the person instructing you in the temple can give the best advice. I have washed my garments in the homes of people who were non-members. Non-members have even done it for me at times, because they were the sorts of people who understood that wearing these means a lot to me and who are not getting crazy weird ideas just because someone behaves a little different.

The main rule of thumb is to wear them pretty much always, change them daily and treat them with respect. Also, guard them a bit around non-members, mostly because people sometimes have strange reactions and build misconceptions around religion. There is also a special procedure for destroying them when you want to throw them away, but it's absolutely not something to break a sweat about :)

About Your Mission

Congratulations again on going. That's wonderful :) may the Lord be with you in everything you do, now and then. My advice here is that since you are a convert, prepare yourself to see imperfection in members who were born into the Church and other missionaries. They break rules. They do not always understand the gospel well. Some go because their parents told them to. Don't judge them because they sin differently than you :) the atonement of Jesus Christ is exactly for imperfect people, no matter what organization they associate with.

I say this because a friend of mine was close to going home, being a convert and becoming a bit disillusioned on his mission. He didn't leave though, but I heard it was close. Ultimately, the gospel, the service rendered and the people helped is what is important. :)

Isn't it interesting how the Spirit works? I love the gospel :) Even things you'd never expect to build your testimony do, and I'm glad I could be a part of that for someone else.

Clicky-Clack, I was also baptized when I was 17! Thanks for sharing, it helped me out and gave me some confidence about it! I really appreciate it! I have actually already taken the temple prep class, and I'm excited about going through! I've heard it's a bit different, but I'm excited anyway. I have had too many good experiences in the temple thus far to think that the endowment won't provide the same, even more exalted experiences.

CarstenNoorgard, thank you for the reply! I have never thought about it as a giant volunteer experience, that will be a fantastic way to explain it! As for the garments, that helps a lot, the nearest distribution center is three hours away, so I will probably make that trip so that I can decide what I want and not have to worry about being stuck with a material I don't like until a new one comes from the online store. Thankfully, I have been exposed to unfaithful members and bad missionaries, but you're right-- the atonement applies to everyone!