Switched at Birth and BiC

Backroads

So, the question is what is left about that relationship in which there was no personal contact, i.e.-switched at birth, and no difference based in the character of the sealing power as that would be found with all we are sealed to?

Remember too that if a person obtains Celestial glory they will have all that the Father has and be "one" with both the Father and the Son. With those descriptions, I don't see how the Father's relationship with the Son would be different than His relationship with any other son or daughter who receives the same glory and the fullness thereof. If we really believe in a full inheritance then it has to be "full" not part. Remember the story of the prodigal son.

I have always been interested in this underlying, barely spoken of theme of "posterity" in our gospel. I think the desire for temporal posterity gets intermixed with the desire for eternal posterity and distinguishing the two can be hard. The lesser law tends to focus on the temporal things and so we get a dose of that teaching as if it has continued through to the higher law. But I think that is only in terms of preparation for the higher law, just like our family here is in preparation for something higher. The higher law introduces the idea of adoption being just as powerful as actual passing on of genes "posterity" and therefore does away with any value to the actual passing on of genes in the eternal perspective. I don't sacrifice any rights or privileges, in other words, by being adopted into a tribe of Israel over carrying actual genetic material directly from Abraham.

I think it better for me to start with where we are similar:

1. I don't believe our genetics have any part as to our inheritance and relationships in the next life. If we, Kristi and I, were to adopt a child he/she would be no different than any of our other children. No "rights" would definitely be sacrificed.

2. Yes, we definitely are one with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, should we be found worthy of the Celestial kingdom, the highest degree of glory.

3. Higher Law, there are definitely higher and lower laws, and lower laws definitely prepare us for higher laws.

As pertaining to the interpretation of the above statements, is appears we feel differently.

Although we are "one" with God and His son, I don't believe this oneness changes, or dilutes the relationship of Father/Mother and their offspring in the next life.

I agree, it means, we have all, and not a part, yet I don't see how this will ultimately change my relationship with my children. If the sealing binds on earth as in heaven, then my children are not only my children here, but they are my children in the eternities.

I don't see any difference between the "oneness" of our Heavenly Father, our Savior, and myself as compared to the relationship with Kristi, my wife. Although, we are "one" it doesn't mean that I and other women have the same "spousal" relationship. As Kristi and I are independently sealed, this will not change due to our "oneness" with Heavenly Father.

As such, I don't see my relationship with my children changing either. I agree, that we are one huge family, no different than if all my relatives were on one island and we were one. We would know whose children are whose.

I am curious why you share "Remember the story of the prodigal son." I would be interested in hearing your interpretation since I am not seeing the correlation.

Thank you for your thoughts and and insightful discussion.

I think it better for me to start with where we are similar:

1. I don't believe our genetics have any part as to our inheritance and relationships in the next life. If we, Kristi and I, were to adopt a child he/she would be no different than any of our other children. No "rights" would definitely be sacrificed.

2. Yes, we definitely are one with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, should we be found worthy of the Celestial kingdom, the highest degree of glory.

3. Higher Law, there are definitely higher and lower laws, and lower laws definitely prepare us for higher laws.

As pertaining to the interpretation of the above statements, is appears we feel differently.

Although we are "one" with God and His son, I don't believe this oneness changes, or dilutes the relationship of Father/Mother and their offspring in the next life.

I agree, it means, we have all, and not a part, yet I don't see how this will ultimately change my relationship with my children. If the sealing binds on earth as in heaven, then my children are not only my children here, but they are my children in the eternities.

I don't see any difference between the "oneness" of our Heavenly Father, our Savior, and myself as compared to the relationship with Kristi, my wife. Although, we are "one" it doesn't mean that I and other women have the same "spousal" relationship. As Kristi and I are independently sealed, this will not change due to our "oneness" with Heavenly Father.

As such, I don't see my relationship with my children changing either. I agree, that we are one huge family, no different than if all my relatives were on one island and we were one. We would know whose children are whose.

I am curious why you share "Remember the story of the prodigal son." I would be interested in hearing your interpretation since I am not seeing the correlation.

Thank you for your thoughts and and insightful discussion.

Thanks, I am glad we have common ground ... and I knew we did.

Lets also pull back to the original question. In the case of a child who was switched at birth and never really had a "relationship" with that parent in this life, what exactly is the "relationship" in the next life if they both make it into the Celestial Kingdom?

I can appreciate the value of any relationship we make here continuing onto the next life, just like when I meet an old classmate of mine. But what relationship is it that we are talking about and where does it come from when we are talking about two people who never really related with each other more than the brief moments before the switch or during the pregnancy I suppose. Like I said the only relationship in that case would be earthly genetics.

BTW, I think the spousal relationship is a different topic and I would agree with your statements about it.

Thanks, I am glad we have common ground ... and I knew we did.

Lets also pull back to the original question. In the case of a child who was switched at birth and never really had a "relationship" with that parent in this life, what exactly is the "relationship" in the next life if they both make it into the Celestial Kingdom?

I can appreciate the value of any relationship we make here continuing onto the next life, just like when I meet an old classmate of mine. But what relationship is it that we are talking about and where does it come from when we are talking about two people who never really related with each other more than the brief moments before the switch or during the pregnancy I suppose. Like I said the only relationship in that case would be earthly genetics.

BTW, I think the spousal relationship is a different topic and I would agree with your statements about it.

Ok, I understand your thoughts, and I see where we interpreted the meaning of "relationship" differently.

Yes, I would agree that the only relationship in how you have explained it would be genetics.

I understood the question, or relationship, meaning if a child has been switched at birth, then will that child continue with the parents who raised him/her or with the family that he/she was sealed to in the first place.

I would then go back to my original assertion, that it would be left up to the child, due to the importance of agency.

In this sense, I would agree with Vort, who said, as a Father I would want my child back (paraphrased quit a bit), however, although I would want my child back, I would also recognize this child had no relationship with me, and I would not inhibit the desire to remain with the family he/she had a relationship with.