a question for the historians out there

zioncools

Doctrine and Covenants 107:32 says, "And in case that any decision of these quorums [referring to the Twelve and Seventy] is made in unrighteousness, it may be brought before a general assembly of the several quorums, which constitute the spiritual authorities of the church; otherwise there can be no appeal from their decision."

Does anyone know of a record from the lifetime of Joseph Smith in which it is revealed which quorums "constitute the spiritual authorities of the church"? Or perhaps something written or stated later by someone with knowledge of what Joseph Smith understood about this?

Thanks!

If a decision of one of the leading quorums of the Church is thought to have been made in unrighteousness, the matter may be brought before “a general assembly of the several quorums” ( D&C 107:32 ), which is the combined assembly of the First Presidency, the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and the First Quorum of the Seventy. These bodies are the “spiritual authorities of the church” ( v. 32 ), and the only appeal from a decision of one of these quorums is to this combined assembly.

Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual - Section 107 - The Organization of Priesthood Quorums

skalenfehl,

Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate the information.

Does anyone know where the student manual got that information? The reason I ask is that I am looking for a statement by Joseph Smith, Jr., that is very specific on this subject.

Thanks again for taking the time to look at this!

Vort,

Thanks for the reference. I can see that those verses preceding the scripture in question could be exactly what the scripture refers to, but I am wanting to know for certain, and I would be delighted to see a definitive statement by the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Does anyone know of one?

Thank you again!

I think this can be read a different way:

"And in case that any decision of these quorums is made in unrighteousness, it may be brought before a general assembly of the several quorums, which constitute the spiritual authorities of the church; otherwise there can be no appeal from their decision."

"these quorums" references any or all of the quorums mentioned: First Presidency, 12, and 70. In the case of needing another authority, there is a general assembly: it is ALL the quorums of the Melchizedek Priesthood. Whenever we sustain a new prophet or body of scripture, all of the quorums of the general assembly are gathered and a sustaining vote is taken on the proposed action.

So, when the priesthood ban was lifted, it was not just the three presiding quorums that sustained it. It also required a sustaining vote of the general assembly of the Melchizedek Priesthood. I know I sustained it, as did everyone else in my quorum.

Of course, we include in the general assembly the sisters and young women now, something the original revelation in D&C 107 did not mention.

Oh, an interesting example of this was in the days of Nauvoo, Joseph Smith no longer wanted to sustain Sidney Rigdon as his counselor, as he disobeyed a revelation of the Lord and lived in Cincinnatti, instead of Nauvoo. The higher quorums voted against President Rigdon, but the general assembly sustained him, and so he remained in his calling.