new to LDS

Mel_28_2012

Welcome.

Here is are pamphlets that go along with the first few lessons they tend to teach.

First: http://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/language-materials/36920_eng.pdf?lang=eng

Second: http://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/language-materials/36950_eng.pdf?lang=eng

Third: http://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/language-materials/36951_eng.pdf?lang=eng

You can also poke around www.mormon.org (though it seems to be down at the moment), which is geared towards those looking into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. And you are of course welcome to ask questions here or make use of the search function LDS Social Network Forums - Search Forums.

I think it is always good to start with understanding what is similar to what you already believe, instead of starting with what is new or different. You know, build on common beliefs first.

What is your back ground? Do you believe in God, or are you not sure how to know? Have you gone to church in the past? What about your feelings on the bible?

Also, how did you come to know about the church and the Book of Mormon?

Also, are there specific things that you are most interested in learning about?

You may want to think of these things before the missionaries come. Missionaries are good at adapting messages to what you want to know about and learn.

Mel,

While I would always encourage asking questions and gaining knowledge... in this case, I would simply pray for an open mind and that the spirit help lead and guide you.

Everything else is secondary.

Somehow, your post reminded me of a "Mister Roger's Neighborhood" story where the puppets were getting ready to go to school... so they were 'cramming' for their first day.

The purpose of the lessons isn't to 'test' your knowledge. It's really a chance to have the spirit testify to you of various truths and answer your sincere questions. It's a chance to be introduced to The Book of Mormon and to begin 'the experiment' as discussed in Alma 32.

So I wouldn't worry about "what you don't know". I would focus on being in tune with the spirit and how you will know if the message being shared is true.

Welcome Mel,

It's always a privilege to learn of new investigators that are seeking to know what the LDS faith is really about. I hope that you will feel the love and compassion of Heavenly Father and our beloved brethren Jesus Christ when you speak with the missionaries. It's very important to ask questions especially pertaining to what you're seeking in your religious endeavors. This church has so much spiritual counsel and guidance that can help lift anothers burdens and strengthen one to become an instrument of helping others. Almost as if to "Pay it forward" for we all seek to move forward in life and sometimes face stumbling blocks but will have others to help us on our way to Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ.