Trying again... looking for help

looking4light82

I guess I don't really know where to begin. I'm totally new to this forum thing but I am looking for some hope and help in it. I posted another question under the Marriage/Relationship section but this question/plea for advice is more gospel related.

I feel like I've gone almost totally inactive in the Church. I still have a testimony but I have a lot of trouble going to Church every Sunday and keeping important commandments. I'm definitely not going to sugarcoat my mistakes, I've made plenty of them in college and after college. Learning the hard way every time seems to be my plague. I want to stop learning the hard way all of the time and learn how to do the right thing, without stubbornness, pride, or my own selfish will getting in the way ALL of the time. So maybe my question here would be, how does one (like me) get re-active in Church? ...how does one begin to WANT to obey? ...how do I draw closer to the Savior and learn about His atonement? Prayer in and of itself is hard for me as well. How do I pray without feeling like I'm getting "stage fright" so much? How do I believe that "I can?"

Anyone who may reply - know that I am willing to try. I would love to hear any personal experiences or any one who can relate and tell me how they got through the hard times with their head up.

Talk to your bishop man. i just posted in the advice forums about a friend that had gone inactive.

Deep down inside you, it seems you have the desire to be better, but having a hard time finding the drive. Sins or no sins, a bishop is amazing. he's someone that can guide with the spirit to help you in your personal spiritual progression, no matter what step forward you need.

When I joined the church, there were three other guys who joined in my area after the age of 26. One was a genius in the scriptures, the other was a passionately spiritual person who went on a mission and the other was a friend of mine.

I am the only one still active.

The only difference between them and myself is that I went to the Bishop when I was struggling and they did not. That's it. It wasn't strength or courage or conviction. It was just the willingness to bow your head and say 'Help.'

If you continue doing what you're doing now, you'll get what you've always gotten. It's up to you.

How does one begin to WANT to obey?

We get determined to change our desires. We get tough and we refuse to get distracted. We get committed to solving our problems and we get creative about doing it. Our eye gets single.....if you know what I mean. And we do it one step at a time.

How does a person "like you" get reactive in the church?

A person "like you"? What does that even mean? Like you are so different from the rest of us.......

You do it the same way the rest of us do. By a simple decision to obey.....no matter what you feel like in the moment. You call on others if you need them... like counseling with a bishop....but you don't wait for others to do your work for you or for a magic feeling to help to get there easily. You get empowered. You own your agency. And you take control of the trajectory of your spiritual life.

How do I draw closer to the Savior and learn about His atonement?

You already know the answer to this, don't you? If you have a testimony, as you say you do, you already know that you have to do the seeking before you can enjoy the finding.

Prayer in and of itself is hard for me as well. How do I pray without feeling like I'm getting "stage fright" so much?

Well, talk about what causes you so much fear. Are you afraid of God? Do you imagine He judges you the same way you judge you? Are you afraid God might require something of you and you might actually have to prove yourself? I think it could be very empowering for you if you got honest about what is really going on inside your fears. If you do that, then you can challenge the validity of them. Fear is just a mirage. When we walk directly into it, we learn that it isn't as daunting as we imagined it to be.

How do I believe that "I can?"

Stop believing you can't.