Willful misinterpretation

Vort

Well, first of all, I ask myself exactly how I came to the conclusion they are doing something wrong on purpose.

This is a fair observation and an interesting point. Here is my thinking: Basically, when the point comes where you say "I stated A" and they respond "So you keep claiming Not A", one of three possibilities exist:

1. They are intentionally misrepresenting you.

2. They are not intentionally misrepresenting you, but they are so fully refusing to understand (perhaps even to hear or read) what you plainly state that they are responsible for their ignorance, and thus morally equivalent to intentionally misrepresenting you.

3. They are unable to understand you, either through communication difficulties or stupidity.

If you have reasonably excluded Possibility #3, you are left with someone who is, for all intents and purposes, intentionally misrepresenting you.

Life got a lot easier for me once I realized two things:

1. I may be invested in getting my point across, but them recieving and accepting the point isn't within my stewardship. Them being wrong isn't my problem.

True enough. But them intentionally misrepresenting your position may indeed become your problem.

2. Even though neither of us will ever budge a single dang inch in our beliefs, people witnessing the exchange may indeed form or change opinions. In other words, I'm not just arguing with some idiot, I'm arguing my point in a big room of undecided or swayable people. Keeping that audience in mind, it's much easier to be polite, civil, charitable, nonjudgemental, and all those other good words.

You are an example to me.