Are Non-lds Christians Becoming Less "anti"

prisonchaplain

"Can't we all just get along?" -- Rodney King, in response to riots that grew out of the perception that racist cops had used excessive force in subduing him.

Some will remember that I recently taught a three-week Sunday School series on the COJCLDS (within the larger context of a survey of other denominations and how their beliefs compare with ours). I actually vetted the lesson here, and garnered some good insights.

A curious inquiry came out of that lesson--from the church pastor of all people. He wondered if I had sensed an increasing acceptance of LDS as being acceptably Christian, though differing in what they teach. He went on to say he had seen an increasing 'tolerance' (we love that PC word, don't we) amongst Evangelicals.

I do know that there is more dialogue on the scholarly level, but wasn't sure if this new openness (at least to intelligent discussion) was filtering down into the churches or not.

So, what say you? Have you encountered greater openness, less hostility, more "live and let live?" Over the last 14 months several here have shared some of your bad experiences when encountering non-LDS. However, have any noticed a change in frequency or intensity?

I don't know, maybe people are finally waking up to the fact that when you have godless governments in the western world in virtual partnership with an amoral media and corporate environment then believers need to focus less on attacking each other and put their energy in more productive areas.

Fiannan, good point. I thought I needed to say something here because I've been one of the people sharing bad experiences.

Yes I think you may be right. I normally make a point of telling people that I'm lds near the beginning of a religious conversation, it saves them from putting their foot in their mouth. I've noticed I'm not getting the shocked or fearful stammering I used to get. Last Monday I met an agnostic that said to me "oh, I've never met one of those before!" when I told her I was Mormon.

My daughter in law has influenced a kinder attitude in her family, they're Pentecostal. They no longer believe we sacrifice virgins in the temple. Just joking. Maybe it's our numbers or our charity work. When you work side by side with other Christians it sort of levels the playing field.

My older children didn't want to tell the other kids they were lds because it always started a big debate, but my son in high school now doesn't have too many problems. Of course when gays and lesbians and bi-sexuals are trendy in school, we've all got bigger fish to fry, I think.

I wish I had a story that was really specific and wonderful about acceptance. My experience has been a little more subtle.

MAYBE they understand we don't condemn them! Now that I think about it, some people have said to me "why do you think you're the only ones going to Heaven?" Maybe they've sensed a change in us!

My opinion.......I think more people are becoming educated in Mormonism.....you will always have that percentage out there thats always going to believe its a "Cult". I live here in southern missouri....this is the southern Baptist belt as I call it....there is still alot of bitterness...perhaps not the right choice of words.....against the Mormon Church.....I will say....its not as bad as it was when I first moved here 20yrs ago.....Each one of my kids while in High School have encountered a bad experience with a teacher at least once. I would talk with them and give them ideas on how they could handle what was going on with their teacher. It was never with the same teacher. I had a friend of mine go to the local college here and he took a Theology class...while in the class ...mormonism came up....this Professor was not a fan of the Mormon Church. He taught his feelings in the class. This friend of mine approached me and asked what should he do....I told him to visit with the Prof and talk with him....he did visit and the Prof toned it down some.

As of last year, I would have to say no.

I was in Louisiana with the Red Cross at a shelter in a town called Opelousas.

Religion was somewhat discussed and I believe the term used was "those damn mormons". I didn't say anything then but after that I made it VERY CLEAR what religion I belonged to and was definitely given the cold shoulder by some of the local staff. It didn't help I was in a Cursillo Center.

Apparently my mormonism somehow tainted their center. But before I left, I gave away a Book of Mormon to one of the clients in the shelter. :roflmbo:

I don't know, maybe people are finally waking up to the fact that when you have godless governments in the western world in virtual partnership with an amoral media and corporate environment then believers need to focus less on attacking each other and put their energy in more productive areas.

Interesting that you should mention the political arena. I just saw a documentary on the religious right and George W. Bush. In actuality, it went back through evangelical history, with many clips from the 1950s onward. At the founding of the Moral Majority, Rev. Jerry Falwell says that he has Jews, Catholics, Mormons and Evangelicals as part of this new political entity. Maybe that "rubbing shoulders" thing increases mutual understanding?

Sounds as if the results are mixed--largely depending on where you live. What effect, if any, do some of the minor changes in emphasis within the church have? For example, the move towards favoring "LDS" instead of "Mormon," and of referring to the Church of JESUS CHRIST LDS, etc.

<snip> What effect, if any, do some of the minor changes in emphasis within the church have? For example, the move towards favoring "LDS" instead of "Mormon," and of referring to the Church of JESUS CHRIST LDS, etc.

This is taken from lds.org - http://www.lds.org/newsroom/page/0,15606,4...-15-168,00.html

Style Guide - The Name of the Church

The official name of the Church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This full name was given by revelation from God to Joseph Smith in 1838.

While the term "Mormon Church" has long been publicly applied to the Church as a nickname, it is not an authorized title, and the Church discourages its use.

When writing about the Church, please follow these guidelines:

*In the first reference, the full name of the Church is preferred: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

*Please avoid the use of “Mormon Church,” “LDS Church” or “the Church of the Latter-day Saints.”

*When a shortened reference is needed, the terms “the Church” or “the Church of Jesus Christ” are encouraged.

*When referring to Church members, the term “Latter-day Saints” is preferred, though “Mormons” is acceptable.

*"Mormon” is correctly used in proper names such as the Book of Mormon, Mormon Tabernacle Choir or Mormon Trail, or when used as an adjective in such expressions as “Mormon pioneers.”

*The term “Mormonism” is acceptable in describing the combination of doctrine, culture and lifestyle unique to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

*When referring to people or organizations that practice polygamy, the terms “Mormons,” “Mormon fundamentalist,” “Mormon dissidents,” etc. are incorrect. The Associated Press Stylebook notes: “The term Mormon is not properly applied to the other ... churches that resulted from the split after [Joseph] Smith’s death.”